Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Accountant software 404 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 138 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 229 1
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 140 2
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 197 4
- CIS gross status review 89 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 123 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 348 6
- Flat rate vat error 242 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 134 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 143 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 81 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 146 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 360 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 619 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 268 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 608 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 202 4
- Charge out rates in London? 216 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 184 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 752
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 483
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 297
- How to format a stock book 263
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 211
- Tax efficient holding company structure 201
- Investment property company accounts template 190
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 190
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 168
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 160