Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 271 6
- Dress code 857 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,557 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 529 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 272 10
- Interest relief before property is rented out 130 2
- Dividend 330 6
- FRS and Debtors 158 2
- What's in a name ? 542 6
- Helping out a friend 433 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 227 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 410 5
- ACCA practice certificates 331 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,277 36
- Umbrella Companies 261 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 173 2
- What would you do in this situation? 822 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 326 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 596 16
- Project being run jointly 264 3
- CTA study material 739
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Employment related securities question 294
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 293
- AIM Stocks and IHT 265
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 222
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 215
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139