Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,001 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 571 8
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,714 38
- Tax Fines - HMRC 874 15
- Can an owner hold company money 318 6
- Account and Taxable Profit 313 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 232 6
- Class 2 NIC 280 5
- Probate services 428 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 394 7
- Vat payable on van 170 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,834 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 245 7
- Community Faux Pas 932 26
- Cash gift from India 150 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,314 40
- Windows10 206 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 627 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 480 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 247 2
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 838
- Benchmark accounting software 692
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 322
- What are HMRC implying? 307
- VAT 258
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 220
- Is the APN valid 196