Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Pay in Lieu of notice 110 4
- inheritance tax 57 1
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 51 1
- Capital payments offshore trust 62 1
- Gift with reservation, IHT & CGT 93 1
- Splitting hairs with a national firm 1,163 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 93 2
- Unreimbursed employee expenses 176 1
- Deduction from Salary 463 11
- Doctor and Locum Work 154 2
- State pension 143 1
- NALS Accountants Report 290 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 259 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,130 40
- CIC Company 618 11
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 280 6
- This is getting boring 484 10
- 27,000 Really? 757 24
- VAT on printing when being a third party 111 2
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 208 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 632
- Cancelled 377
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 349
- Cancelled 323
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 298
- Probiz 288
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 257
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 246
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 215
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 193