Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Moneysoft - technical query 183 4
- Let Property Campaign 156 3
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 36 1
- What would you do? 322 2
- Taxable income for previous years 351 8
- VAT position on EU supplies/commission 67 1
- Depreciation on purchase of software 136 2
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,297 16
- App recommendations 321 4
- Defend your local inspector? 616 7
- accountant in Bristol 499 1
- New Company Director PAYE Question 758 20
- Exasperated by HMRC 2,133 19
- How long should one give Aweb … 704 9
- Resident and Non-resident 761 7
- Benefit in Kind - Director loan or not? 162 3
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 411 16
- Working Hours Calculation - Rounding Hours up/down 139 2
- Self employed Self Assessment 397 2
- Applying for clearance before 5 years share ownership 172 2
- HMRC arbitrarily amending tax returns for higher rate child benefit charge 355
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 343
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 278
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 251
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 251
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 242
- Electric Car 194
- S222 Charge 184
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 171
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 171