Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,481 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 153 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 99 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 283 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 236 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,236 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 372 6
- Go Cardless 387 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 333 3
- Mehjoo 336 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 157 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 413 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 200 4
- SA302 348 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 297 13
- Bringing money to Uk 303 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 219 4
- Hmrc software 264 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 202 1
- Hosted email exchange 195 5
- Xtuple 525
- Qtac payroll for bureau 358
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 301
- Industrial & Provident Societies 294
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 238
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 216
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 213
- Domain name sale and limited company 183
- CIS schemes 179
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 156