Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 228 1
- will this work for IHT 248 2
- Best software for small practice? 629 20
- Paid too much !! 234 2
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,739 39
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 248 7
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 75 2
- Taxfiler been down since mid-afternoon 183 5
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 475 17
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 108 1
- Company separation for Wholesale & Retail businesses 88 1
- Selling a VAT Qualifying vehicle at a loss 87 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 475 15
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 748 11
- Sports Sponsorship 138 1
- New Shareholder and Purchase of Own Share 256 17
- Opt To Tax Refund 213 2
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 241 6
- Is the CT61 return dead? 1,323 14
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 1,271 21
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 766
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 454
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 274
- DTA tie-breaker issue 261
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 246
- CGT for NOn UK residents 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 199
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 181
- Just checking re PSA 175