Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 61 2
- SA302's - What's the deal? 308 4
- tax credits 206 4
- Thinning income 309 2
- Past rental expenses 72 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 210 3
- What do do about VAT? 513 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 238 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,116 22
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 335 10
- I forgiven loan an Output? 107 1
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 183 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 187 4
- Audacity 1,313 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 690 8
- partnership first tax return 134 1
- Payroll got out of synch 375 11
- Charitable incorporated organisation 94 1
- Claiming the expenses of Scooby 293 3
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 301 9
- NHS finance professionals 591
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 222
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 191