Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- CIC accounts submission 49 3
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 573 20
- Deduction from net or gross pay? 45 2
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 194 5
- Know it alls (who don't) 404 11
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 407 9
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 258 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,487 44
- What does it mean?? 460 12
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 1,034 13
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 229 4
- VAT & Landlords 206 6
- Make an adjustment to profits chargeable to class 4 nic 100 2
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 170 5
- Tax advice person/business 250 2
- Moneysoft Payroll Windows 8.1 Woes - Help! 724 15
- Extraction of Factory from Trading Company and Leaseback 103 3
- Loan write off by Company 101 2
- Late P45 145 2
- Auto enrolment and husband & Wife companies 428 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,562
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 860
- International interest certificate 475
- NOVA 332
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 245
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 234
- Management expenses for investment company 223
- Bonus Bonds 216
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 203
- Check my logic on this please? 185