Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Just for fun. 699 22
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 100 3
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 76 1
- How to pay national insurance 503 16
- Spam blocking 126 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 208 4
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 206 9
- AccountingWeb is unworkable 127 1
- Small pool write off 209 4
- Bonus in june 234 2
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 176 5
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 105 2
- HMRC Email 323 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,924 21
- Employment status 214 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 175 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 989 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 366 4
- Overlap relief 642 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 167 3
- Theatre Tax Relief 481
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 376
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 371
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 343
- Perkbox 309
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 302
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 269
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 267
- Document Management Systems 249
- WIP Software 229