Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Selling a company asset below market value 234 3
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 252 6
- CT loss memorandum 54 1
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 204 3
- Property Development 391 9
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 263 6
- Wages paid into another persons bank account 244 6
- Sage Import Data 59 1
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,237 41
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 250 4
- How do you account in the VAT return for 158 2
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 448 12
- Directors/owners taking too much cash... 1,464 16
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 250 3
- Which address 288 9
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 578 7
- Night out allowance 256 1
- Spanish Tax Return 158 5
- Accounts/CT600 Filing HMRC & Companies House 123 1
- Missing accountant! 1,078 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 412
- CTA study material 376
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 278
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 254
- Pre incorp expenses 214
- new capital structure ltd with investors 213
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 206
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 190
- Slight twist on employment related securities 181
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 123