Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Cash basis 435 12
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 124 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 255 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 278 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 145 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 286 6
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 148 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,837 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 316 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 222 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 79 1
- Investor exit 186 3
- Partially exempt? 362 10
- Debtor/creditor set-off 133 1
- Redundancy payment added to p45 397 3
- Undeclared rental income 2,246 22
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 376 4
- Statutory sick pay 245 3
- Overseas bank interest 227 5
- Contractor accommodation expenses 170 1
- Skandia using wrong address 559
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 303
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 300
- Employee rewards 283
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 237
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 221
- Etax Australian 181
- LLP in Construction Industry 146
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 127
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 125