Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- What is Tronk System of payroll ? 25 1
- Writing down allowance / AIA 136 5
- Company name change question... 143 2
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 425 14
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 256 4
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,307 23
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 151 5
- Consolidation IFRS 68 1
- White van man 430 20
- Worried over stock value 215 4
- Tax return filed on time but payment late 109 1
- foreign income 125 2
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 195 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 306 5
- STUDENT LOAN 99 1
- Bookkeeping question 601 6
- wave software 230 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 358 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 248 3
- Backdate C79? 170 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 825
- Copy Wanted 553
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 511
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 489
- Latest phishing scam 348
- Entrepreneurs' relief 322
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 292
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 284
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 279
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 184