Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- General tax book with planning 147 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,204 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 284 11
- Gift of property & improvements 118 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 342 5
- VAT Invoice 137 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 804 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 129 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 218 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 185 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 152 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 449 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 374 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 256 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 186 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 165 4
- SA302's anyone?? 538 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,644 41
- Renting for military reasons 195 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 510
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 297
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- tax on apprenticeship income 173
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 149