Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 660 31
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 187 4
- Starting Again 147 3
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 238 5
- CGT on spouse's death 105 2
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 370 10
- Mortgage Adviser's request 175 4
- Tax relief for networking day out? 399 8
- Payroll software 175 4
- Company UTR numbers 292 6
- Summer house for business only 94 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 98 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 561 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 134 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 131 3
- How do you count your clients 404 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 153 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 113 1
- Proposal to strike off...... 470 9
- Property Expenses 124 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 592
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 579
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 376
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 280
- Government Gateway - VAT 276
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 245
- RTI - duplicate employee record 236
- Accelerated payment notices 228