Garage business really struggling
I have a client operating as a garage business, carrying out all manner of motor repairs. They are really struggling and don't seem to make the kind of profits
that fit with the amount of work that they do. They do offer credit, which has more to do with them not being able to get the bills prepared by the time that the
customers collect their cars than anything else (but is dire for cashflow). They now have a credit card machine which really took some persuading.
They seem to have issues with tracking billable hours. I have devised a time sheet that includes all workshop employees and only covers one day. This way they can see on a daily basis the combined billable hour figure, and identify problems as they go along. Obviously, I am struggling to get them excited about this.
So, I just wondered what other accountant's experiences are of garage businesses. The premises is owned, so its not even as if their is rent to pay.
I am also interested in what the average mark-up of parts is across the country.
This is my local garage - I need it to work!
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 326 4
- Fee protection 167 6
- Free Agent data? 135 2
- Generic PAYE notices 147 4
- Ltd company or sole trader 150 6
- Reusing dissolved company name? 140 2
- deductions for OMB companies 186 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 156 4
- LLP classification of division of profit 129 3
- Insolvent Liquidation 110 1
- insolvency ip control 159 1
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 139 3
- Mature student with NO GCSEs or A levels but with very solid 2:1 degree, needs help? 535 9
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 555 12
- What tax rules apply to oversea representative office employees in UK? 86 1
- UK company avoiding tax 210 2
- Finland 94 1
- With or without a practicing certificate 975 20
- Is HMRC iXBRL filing only available for small audit exempt companies 184 4
- What do you class as Research and Development for R&D Tax Relief 511 8
- Xtuple 480
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 270
- Industrial & Provident Societies 260
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 201
- Mehjoo 198
- Changes in NHS pensions 167
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 166
- New strategic report 161
- South African Government Pension 138