Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 958 28
- Does anyone use quotation software? 551 8
- help needed with rti paye please 103 3
- Cash injection by shareholder 825 9
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 388 11
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,587 503
- Can't read my handwriting 785 19
- Undeclared rental income 386 7
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 314 7
- Sick pay 231 6
- Directors self assessment 145 2
- Employer's Helpline 213 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 108 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 187 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,759 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,090 8
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 134 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 312 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 252 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 450 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,410
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 539
- National Insurance 439
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 258
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 248
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 164
- Umbrella pay services 144
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 122
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121