Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Old payroll 197 5
- Payroll got out of synch 252 8
- HMRC Debt collectors 224 4
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 150 5
- Share issue and transfer 34 1
- Accounts Package 511 13
- What do do about VAT? 105 2
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 176 5
- Special Puprose Vehicle (SPV) company 150 4
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,276 11
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 985 22
- Not a question but made my day 1,023 21
- VAT Caravan Residential Letting Income 106 1
- Exempt supplies and VAT registration 193 6
- To make a claim against my PI insurer 516 6
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,973 27
- Client right to working papers 1,060 6
- Annual Tax Summary 115 1
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 388 2
- VAT on property 213 2
- NHS finance professionals 586
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 387
- Foreign Pension Contribution 361
- vat gross profit percentage margins 325
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 318
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 302
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 261
- Thinning income 253
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 218
- IFA income recognition & reporting 194