Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Agent Registration - How Long? 173 1
- Expense management software 655 13
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,005 28
- Cater Allen Commission 29 1
- Unregistered tax driver 191 5
- Does anyone use a cloud based payroll software 749 30
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 583 16
- S455 431 20
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 93 2
- EIS Relief 143 1
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 154 1
- Gift or Capital Gain? 165 4
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 65 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 201 6
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 408 8
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 245 3
- Is this a scam? 1,413 25
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 227 5
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 163 4
- Wednesday rant 337 1
- Benchmarking 462
- Possible Partnership? 408
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 399
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 380
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 320
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 191
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 175
- Income tax on foreign dividends 166
- Clubs and Taxable Income 163
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 159