Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,794 72
- Rollover relief and private use 80 1
- SAGE con 317 7
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 84 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 440 12
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 173 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 726 11
- Which software for practice books? 545 20
- Related Parties Note 682 10
- Dazed & confused 369 5
- Law Shipping/Odeon related question 117 2
- Goerge fixes PAs for long period 151 2
- Are HMRC getting it right? 331 7
- trading or dormant 248 6
- Is Hold over relief available? 189 6
- Payroll Liabilities 113 2
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 146 4
- Charity reserves 270 5
- Part-time work - advice please? 160 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,686 18
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,051
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 565
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 372
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 281
- Charge out rates in London? 224
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 218
- Personal consumption by landlord 192
- Interest on Loan to a Company 179
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 160
- Agent fees to sell business 149