Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 167 7
- Identify cost savings 196 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 423 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 95 2
- Capital gains tax and PPR 94 1
- Jobs after completing ACCA 121 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 584 11
- are these allowable deductions? 112 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,650 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 564 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 75 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 133 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 417 7
- Schedule A losses 150 1
- Member meet up 1 October in London 309 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 193 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 831 1
- Fees 789 8
- P11D & tax return 285 10
- Freelance/Employee 929 22
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 333
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 241
- AIA 213
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 204
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 170
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157