Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 647 13
- OneNote is fantastic 141 3
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,104 21
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 54 1
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 312 5
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 219 2
- PPR on a development? 223 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 324 7
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 890 19
- Private Residence Relief 1,787 15
- Cloud accounting package 182 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 1,022 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 510 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 303 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 196 3
- Next Move 399 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 415 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 231 4
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 349 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 726 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 637
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 395
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 395
- Property letting & CAs 381
- 2015 tax year end 375
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 373
- FCA regulated company in a small group 336
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 240
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 229
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 223