Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Travel expenses from Spain to the UK - tax deductible ? 250 9
- Auto enrolment 1,462 14
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 159 3
- Client's company struck off 574 17
- Optimum salary for directors appointed part way through the year 122 1
- Extension of lease in flat management company 92 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 192 7
- Does a building subcontractor charge VAT on his labour on a new-build? 332 9
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 107 1
- Interest, surcharges and interest on late payment of tax 123 2
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 188 3
- Sole trader startup losses and PAYE income in same year 128 3
- Anyone had this problem?? 709 19
- Input VAT suffered in EU 155 3
- Investment property? 97 2
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 1,617 23
- Sole Trader Cessation 176 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 339 6
- Does AE staging date cease with transfer of business? 99 1
- Invoice personally but declare in company? 457 9
- QROP pension input amounts 470
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 424
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 408
- fraud 338
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 258
- EPS and CIS deductions 247
- Construction CIS LLP Company 242
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 199
- SAGE winforecast 170
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 166