Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,379 63
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 334 12
- Tax Penalty overeaction 578 11
- calculate mortgage interest 107 1
- Auto enrolment 1,645 27
- AIA 203 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 585 27
- Depreciation 154 1
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 132 3
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 224 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 179 3
- client can't/won't pay 449 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 202 6
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 256 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 269 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,194 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 274 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 216 5
- HMRC SA software error? 186 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 177 2
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 791
- Copy Wanted 505
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 463
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 456
- Latest phishing scam 293
- Entrepreneurs' relief 282
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 276
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 255
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 244
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 239