Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- IT advisory questions? 249 6
- signature required 528 22
- Use of home query 58 1
- Pratice Management Software 152 2
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 220 6
- Error in audited accounts 58 1
- Vat registration exception 196 3
- CIS software 72 2
- Homing sandwiches 465 11
- CT600 119 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 177 7
- Settlement discount 141 4
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 513 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 184 5
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 172 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 132 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 215 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 133 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 189 2
- Related Party Transactions 129 2
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,245
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 816
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 521
- Digita Hosted Software 339
- Credit where credit's due....... 314
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 238
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 197
- TheTax Donut 180
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 162
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 162