Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- What are my legal responsibilities 328 14
- Business lending another business money (UK) 79 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 333 4
- No more tax returns... 1,535 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 418 6
- Signed accounts for bank 273 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 473 10
- Landing clients 405 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,151 22
- Termination Payment 195 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 203 3
- CRM / marketing 104 2
- Allocation of income from property 756 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,885 28
- Opening a Quick books file 130 1
- 64-8 problems 519 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 349 10
- Payment on account reminders 243 3
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 123 3
- Hello 521 4