Getting information from previous accountants
I have taken on a sole trader client whose previous accountant is ignoring emails and failing to pass on information in particular relating to balance sheet items.
I suspect that he does not have working papers to back up the figures but I don't know. I do not know if he has a professional body. He did not prepare accounts with an accountants report, just a profit and loss and balance sheet so I do not have letters after his name to look for. He does not have a website or linkedin page.
I have an address, email and telephone but I only get sporadic responses and he seems to spend a lot of time abroad.
Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with this?
Firstly I am interested in ideas about how to get the information.
Secondly I am interested to know at what point I give up and recreate this year's accounts with the information I have got.
- Where has Portia gone? 5,881 120
- How to introduce funds in to a Limited by guarantee company 20 1
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 796 14
- ER Relief 69 2
- 'Workers' for AE purposes 77 1
- Payroll question 231 3
- Share buyback, possible embezzlement 259 5
- Do accountants work at home? 302 6
- Where did you buy your Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500? 66 3
- Can a trust benefit from PPR 706 6
- VAT Registration 209 1
- How do you do it 408 1
- Help 493 14
- Payments on account 317 6
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 781 21
- Do you need to account for a director loan separate from the current account 108 1
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 322 1
- Sage 50 accounts 108 3
- Abbreviated accounts Companies House 127 1
- Keeping disastrous accounts 578 6