God Bless HMRC
Had a letter today saying 'we sent something to your client and it came back, tell us their new address'.
Never heard of the client, but rang and cleared security (/facepalm number 1) by using the information HMRC had sent me.
I explained the situation and that the individual was probably an employee of one of our clients and once I knew which one I could find out the new address for HMRC. But of course giving out an employer's name to someone is a breach of the Idiocy Act of 2010, as who knows what someone could do with that information.
So I told the nice lady there is no way I can help them unless they can tell me anything about the client. She said there is nothing she can say, so I said good luck on tracking them down and hung up.
I hope it wasn't anything important HMRC wanted to send.
- Where has Portia gone? 5,144 114
- Help 242 11
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 299 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 125 2
- Overlap profit 303 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 326 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,077 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 149 1
- Payments on account 199 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 111 1
- What do your junior staff do? 537 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 669 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 429 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 547 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 139 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,950 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 373 3
- On the high seas 122 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 863 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 854
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 345
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 315
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181