God Bless HMRC
Had a letter today saying 'we sent something to your client and it came back, tell us their new address'.
Never heard of the client, but rang and cleared security (/facepalm number 1) by using the information HMRC had sent me.
I explained the situation and that the individual was probably an employee of one of our clients and once I knew which one I could find out the new address for HMRC. But of course giving out an employer's name to someone is a breach of the Idiocy Act of 2010, as who knows what someone could do with that information.
So I told the nice lady there is no way I can help them unless they can tell me anything about the client. She said there is nothing she can say, so I said good luck on tracking them down and hung up.
I hope it wasn't anything important HMRC wanted to send.
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 148 4
- CIC Company 521 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,338 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 282 4
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 867 18
- NALS Accountants Report 113 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,478 35
- Legal title not in the company name 286 10
- Dividend dates 571 10
- Sole properietor 194 4
- transitioning payroll 248 8
- dividend proposals 128 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 244 2
- Deduction from Salary 306 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 208 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,743 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 95 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 440 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 163 2
- 12 Pay Problems 258 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 624
- Cancelled 364
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 312
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 283
- Probiz 274
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 233
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 231
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 204
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 176