Goodwill and incorporations
Here is a scenario which has not happened to me (yet!) but I have been thinking about recently.
Very profitable Business incorporates.
Accountant assists client with goodwill valuation, and a substantial directors loan account is created. The valuation utilises a multiple of owners benefit of 2-3 times.
Amortisation is claimed as a deduction in the company P&L.
Some years later the company successfully disposes of the business to a third party for eight times profits. A substantial corporation tax bill results.
The director is unhappy as he has sold the business to the company too cheaply. Overall the company and director have paid more tax than the optimum amount.
Director sues the accountant.
- Your comments please 64 2
- Closing my business down 239 14
- CGT history of shares 24 1
- Accounting for reversed transaction 29 1
- Ordering same-day transactions 35 1
- As a soletrader taxi service, would purchasing low emissions taxi-cars qualify for AIA capital allowance? 133 1
- Scams are not always obvious 2,264 37
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,485 21
- What do you all do in your spare time? 896 36
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 47 1
- VAT flat rate scheme 145 2
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 172 1
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 234 3
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 622 13
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 241 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 197 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 151 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 311 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 101 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,123 18
- Moving away from CCH software 957
- QROP pension input amounts 444
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 387
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 362
- fraud 288
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 263
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 232
- Construction CIS LLP Company 216
- EPS and CIS deductions 204
- Out of time or not? 189