Goodwill and incorporations
Here is a scenario which has not happened to me (yet!) but I have been thinking about recently.
Very profitable Business incorporates.
Accountant assists client with goodwill valuation, and a substantial directors loan account is created. The valuation utilises a multiple of owners benefit of 2-3 times.
Amortisation is claimed as a deduction in the company P&L.
Some years later the company successfully disposes of the business to a third party for eight times profits. A substantial corporation tax bill results.
The director is unhappy as he has sold the business to the company too cheaply. Overall the company and director have paid more tax than the optimum amount.
Director sues the accountant.
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 176 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 115 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 167 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 104 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 197 2
- CIS Software 124 1
- Company assets 369 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 228 6
- MoneySoft 179 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 93 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 663 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 149 2
- Self assessment 157 1
- Claiming VAT 145 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,127 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 179 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 281 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 279 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 158 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 517 9
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 506
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 481
- Is there anything wrong with this? 282
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 269
- Uncommercial property business 247
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 206
- Registering online CWF1 187
- VAT - registration needed? 184
- Accrued income scheme 183
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 182