Goodwill and incorporations
Here is a scenario which has not happened to me (yet!) but I have been thinking about recently.
Very profitable Business incorporates.
Accountant assists client with goodwill valuation, and a substantial directors loan account is created. The valuation utilises a multiple of owners benefit of 2-3 times.
Amortisation is claimed as a deduction in the company P&L.
Some years later the company successfully disposes of the business to a third party for eight times profits. A substantial corporation tax bill results.
The director is unhappy as he has sold the business to the company too cheaply. Overall the company and director have paid more tax than the optimum amount.
Director sues the accountant.
- Interim Accountants through Ltd co basis 108 1
- Going to miss CT filing deadline 58 2
- We contribute a percentage of employees' salaries to a pension scheme set up by them - do we need to get involved in auto-enrolment? 351 4
- Annual director payments for a small limited company 249 6
- Flat Rate Job Expenses 96 1
- Categories on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 269 4
- Relevant life plan 233 6
- Flat Rate VAT - reclaiming VAT on Capital Purchase (bought on lease hire) 150 4
- The return 953 28
- Directors loan - no longer a director 125 1
- Why .... 551 6
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 526 10
- Any advice on large 55 inch + computer monitor 157 1
- Pylon compensation - what am I missing? 390 6
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 468 10
- Limited Company expenses 295 7
- Formating cells in Excel 278 6
- UK taxation of income from property in Cyprus 195 4
- Advice needed for Annual Accounting Period - companies house 304 8
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 615 17
- Possible Partnership? 578
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 494
- New Fangled Penalties 386
- Clubs and Taxable Income 312
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 286
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 235
- Loans to other companies 234
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 200
- Outsource Data Entry 192
- Moving away from CCH software 179