Goodwill and incorporations
Here is a scenario which has not happened to me (yet!) but I have been thinking about recently.
Very profitable Business incorporates.
Accountant assists client with goodwill valuation, and a substantial directors loan account is created. The valuation utilises a multiple of owners benefit of 2-3 times.
Amortisation is claimed as a deduction in the company P&L.
Some years later the company successfully disposes of the business to a third party for eight times profits. A substantial corporation tax bill results.
The director is unhappy as he has sold the business to the company too cheaply. Overall the company and director have paid more tax than the optimum amount.
Director sues the accountant.
- Do I walk away from these accounts? 795 15
- Cloud accounting package 116 1
- Incorporation after the start of trading 992 39
- Setting up offshore to avoid paying VAT 484 15
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 253 6
- Offshore company (Guernsey / Isle of Man) 150 3
- PAYE – Directors NI 236 6
- Next Move 331 12
- Ltd Co and 'grant' income 393 7
- when to file SA return if closed SA in the middle of the year 181 4
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 229 3
- Large PAYE tax refund to Employee 336 3
- Personal Tax Accounts. Are we all doomed. 700 10
- Accounts treatment of assets at cessation date 278 10
- Seeking advice: Vehicle usage 161 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,234 34
- Casual Driver 253 4
- Self Assessment Software 631 20
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 344 7
- How does HMRC give tax relief to Muslims for borrowing costs? 1,264 10
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 630
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 394
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 394
- Property letting & CAs 376
- 2015 tax year end 372
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 372
- FCA regulated company in a small group 335
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 231
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 223
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 218