Goodwill and incorporations
Here is a scenario which has not happened to me (yet!) but I have been thinking about recently.
Very profitable Business incorporates.
Accountant assists client with goodwill valuation, and a substantial directors loan account is created. The valuation utilises a multiple of owners benefit of 2-3 times.
Amortisation is claimed as a deduction in the company P&L.
Some years later the company successfully disposes of the business to a third party for eight times profits. A substantial corporation tax bill results.
The director is unhappy as he has sold the business to the company too cheaply. Overall the company and director have paid more tax than the optimum amount.
Director sues the accountant.
- VAT enquiry 116 2
- Which software for practice books? 338 14
- No Prrof of Posting of Tax Return sent by Post 445 15
- Inheritance tax 239 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 65 1
- Accountant software 298 8
- HMRC SPAM AGAIN 137 3
- Illegal dividends and prior year accounts errors 135 4
- Enquiry charge out rates - benchmarking 134 3
- A previous partnership, a dispute and their conduct now 276 6
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 111 5
- Tax residence 93 2
- Company Car Purchased in Name of Director 137 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,665 33
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 458 7
- Can pre-registration vat be reclaimed? 234 4
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 1,897 22
- Mileage and Corportation Tax 112 1
- Renting property to yourself 333 8
- Definition of "Ultimate Controlling Party" FRS 8 391 16
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 650
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 486
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 451
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 278
- How to format a stock book 236
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 196
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 190
- Tax efficient holding company structure 179
- Investment property company accounts template 165
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 163