Goodwill and incorporations
Here is a scenario which has not happened to me (yet!) but I have been thinking about recently.
Very profitable Business incorporates.
Accountant assists client with goodwill valuation, and a substantial directors loan account is created. The valuation utilises a multiple of owners benefit of 2-3 times.
Amortisation is claimed as a deduction in the company P&L.
Some years later the company successfully disposes of the business to a third party for eight times profits. A substantial corporation tax bill results.
The director is unhappy as he has sold the business to the company too cheaply. Overall the company and director have paid more tax than the optimum amount.
Director sues the accountant.
- CGT on selling company shares 183 8
- transfer of invesments from company name to individual 113 2
- Moneysoft Payroll 657 16
- Companies House Search 350 4
- Property gift to sister 273 8
- do i need an online accounting software 134 3
- VAT dergistration confirmation? 82 2
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 378 4
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,679 28
- VAT Triangulation Service UK - UK - EC 159 3
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,609 28
- Who gets the CGT deduction 288 4
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 649 9
- VAT training 387 4
- Mixing up NI numbers under RTI 286 7
- 31st october deadline 403 6
- RTI Late Registration query 159 1
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 269 2
- Payroll software 209 1
- Accounting for display stands 294 7
- NHS finance professionals 716
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 431
- Foreign Pension Contribution 407
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 390
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 388
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 346
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 308
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 292
- Incorporating doctors 230
- IFA income recognition & reporting 228