Goodwill on incorporation
Client has been a sole trader (IT consultant, but not a contractor) for just over a year.
He set up a ltd co 6mths ago and hasn't used it, but now wants to.
He has 3 customers so far, (two knew him personally before he went self-employed and recommended him to the other one) and a turnover of £30k.
I don't think there is any scope for goodwill on incorporation because it's all personal to him, but am I being over-cautious?
(The client has been speaking to the "man in the pub" whose goodwill was naturally into the £thousands then [edit: "when"] they did it.)
Thanks for any helpful opinions.
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,802 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 196 4
- capital gains on PPR 239 13
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 356 13
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 169 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 155 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,294 62
- Company expansion 92 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 372 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 494 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 521 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,478 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 250 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 181 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 163 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 295 9
- PRR 367 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 409 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 321 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 444 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 371
- Non Resident 296
- Franchise income and costs 263
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 167
- employment capital allowances 162
- CIS paid under reg 9 157