Goodwill on incorporation
Client has been a sole trader (IT consultant, but not a contractor) for just over a year.
He set up a ltd co 6mths ago and hasn't used it, but now wants to.
He has 3 customers so far, (two knew him personally before he went self-employed and recommended him to the other one) and a turnover of £30k.
I don't think there is any scope for goodwill on incorporation because it's all personal to him, but am I being over-cautious?
(The client has been speaking to the "man in the pub" whose goodwill was naturally into the £thousands then [edit: "when"] they did it.)
Thanks for any helpful opinions.
- Self-assessment statistics 2,474 59
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 222 5
- Transmission of ISA 51 2
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 194 2
- Next Move 716 20
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 193 2
- Not renewing AAT 677 9
- CGT of shares gifted 383 6
- New dividend taxation 510 3
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,801 51
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 168 1
- Company car v company allowance 295 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 438 9
- Company formation and bank account 446 9
- Owning overseas property 357 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 291 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 289 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 711 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 743 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 291 2
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 668
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 409
- Property letting & CAs 399
- 2015 tax year end 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 395
- FCA regulated company in a small group 347
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 322
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 241
- Costly Accounting Software contract 214
- DTA tie-breaker issue 212