Goodwill on incorporation
Client has been a sole trader (IT consultant, but not a contractor) for just over a year.
He set up a ltd co 6mths ago and hasn't used it, but now wants to.
He has 3 customers so far, (two knew him personally before he went self-employed and recommended him to the other one) and a turnover of £30k.
I don't think there is any scope for goodwill on incorporation because it's all personal to him, but am I being over-cautious?
(The client has been speaking to the "man in the pub" whose goodwill was naturally into the £thousands then [edit: "when"] they did it.)
Thanks for any helpful opinions.
- Tax treatment of gift of expensive watch 505 11
- 2 companies, one payroll 215 8
- The importance of Grammar 1,853 55
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 109 1
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 599 12
- Freelance/Employee 403 10
- Freehold management company 149 3
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 243 3
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 216 6
- System selection 234 3
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 131 1
- Director Liability 135 2
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 169 4
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 387 4
- exemptions from CIS 264 6
- Directors exempt from AE? 586 10
- Xero Pain Points 659 20
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 285 13
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 264 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,711 56
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 393
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 357
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 338
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 319
- Electric Car 267
- S222 Charge 231
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 230
- Company Structure 208
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 174
- IP trans to holding company 169