Goodwill on incorporation
Client has been a sole trader (IT consultant, but not a contractor) for just over a year.
He set up a ltd co 6mths ago and hasn't used it, but now wants to.
He has 3 customers so far, (two knew him personally before he went self-employed and recommended him to the other one) and a turnover of £30k.
I don't think there is any scope for goodwill on incorporation because it's all personal to him, but am I being over-cautious?
(The client has been speaking to the "man in the pub" whose goodwill was naturally into the £thousands then [edit: "when"] they did it.)
Thanks for any helpful opinions.
- do i pay vat when buying a business 227 17
- Introduction of Goodwill 407 10
- Professional Clearance 173 5
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 94 4
- are receipts needed? 359 12
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 612 21
- New accountant 504 9
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 221 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,060 67
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 124 3
- Working out a daily rate 308 7
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 604 9
- Loss Relief 149 2
- Tax case reference request 232 3
- How to? 162 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 196 1
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,418 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 523 6
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 121 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 232 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,591
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 886
- International interest certificate 495
- NOVA 352
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 275
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 256
- Management expenses for investment company 244
- Bonus Bonds 242
- Help with tax codes on Sage 188
- Capital reduction 173