Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Entrepreneurs Relief 597 29
- IHT dilemma 1,284 20
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 63 2
- DAILY PENALTIES / APPEALS 190 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 379 4
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 1,847 18
- SA -2012_13 return - worth changing? 173 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 115 1
- How to filter to show only rows with 'Total' in description? 190 4
- Micro Entity Accounts 294 3
- Aweb tracking ... 240 3
- PAYE 1,345 16
- Self Assessment - Declaring Pension Lump Sum on Tax Return 120 1
- Gifts from limited companies 169 2
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 367 8
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 355 2
- VAT 125 1
- RTI overpayments gap 245 3
- Can a once active Limited company become dormant? 241 5
- Sage payroll alternatives 566 11
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,127
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 789
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 472
- Digita Hosted Software 307
- Credit where credit's due....... 250
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 217
- Director phone costs 202
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 176
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 152
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 139