Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 494 4
- Reimbursing director travel costs 275 4
- Client Paperwork Retention? 176 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,326 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,394 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 317 2
- Friday Question 496 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 381 8
- Independent Examination work programme 108 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 529 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 226 2
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 220 7
- Employers NI allowance 186 2
- What is the best way to buy commercial property these days 296 5
- Auto Enrolment 237 2
- Tax Point as opposed to VAT point 195 2
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,920 30
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 211 2
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 251 7
- Swimming Pool Income 354 4
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 488
- DTA tie-breaker issue 292
- CGT for NOn UK residents 259
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 241
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 237
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 231
- Apprenticeship Levy 227
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 219
- Just checking re PSA 210
- Capital Gains personal representatives 204