Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- The stupidity continues 612 23
- transactions after account have been closed 161 4
- Can I claim Vat on solicitors invoices? 159 5
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 527 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 216 6
- Calculating capital gains tax for non-residents UK residential property 119 1
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,339 25
- New Employers Helpline 205 4
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 220 3
- Software recommendations 276 1
- Share transfer question 376 17
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 325 7
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 180 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,454 19
- Overlap relief 759 19
- What is IRIS World like? 368 8
- Pension contributions 381 10
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 510 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 205 1
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 285 8
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 439
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 434
- WIP Software 299
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 291
- No payroll scheme in place 234
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 231
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 207
- Is there anything wrong with this? 202
- Small Part Disposal of Property 189
- Uncommercial property business 181