Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 69 4
- Penalties for non-filing of EC Sales List 102 2
- Accountancy packages for FRS 102 114 4
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,050 21
- PAYE 28 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 9,643 352
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 53 2
- Mutual trading organisation paying tax for the first time 64 3
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 303 3
- VAT on Pub Kitchen Franchise 86 2
- Sportman claiming for training kit 251 7
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 490 10
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 83 2
- Complicated freehold purchase and CA 98 1
- Declined for business bank account 773 10
- UTR reallocated by HMRC 255 3
- Vat on Royalites 137 2
- Accounting for share for share 122 6
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,408 6
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 232 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,200
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 414
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 318
- National Insurance 314
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 263
- FRS 102 and loans from a director 260
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 241
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 237
- Non Resident 230
- Franchise income and costs 214