Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Film Actors - Averaging? 14 1
- Loss carryback 70 4
- How do I save face? 605 12
- Goodie bag 811 30
- 6th March RTI deadline. Can FPS be submitted on 6th March? 364 6
- Leaving the Flat Rate Scheme 198 3
- Secure document exchange 402 4
- Quickbooks Online 82 1
- Accts software 130 2
- Awkward shareholder (sister) 352 3
- Challenging HMRC on EU VAT land related service 180 1
- Clubs and Taxable Income 388 2
- Employee invoicing employer 204 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 315 6
- Auto enrolement and PAYE 179 3
- Unpaid salary 218 4
- Mixed Partnerships 123 2
- Transfer of properties to a limited company stamp duty 135 4
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 218 3
- Back-dated VAT 85 1
- Possible Partnership? 621
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 507
- New Fangled Penalties 424
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 308
- Fuming! 274
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 239
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 225
- Outsource Data Entry 221
- Moving away from CCH software 208
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 158