Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 28 2
- Share restructure 365 14
- SDLT - transfer of land into newco 33 1
- Laptop purchase 955 17
- RTI and bank holiday Friday 127 3
- Childcare Vouchers 75 1
- Elective DeductionsModel 125 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 980 23
- Moneysoft - Car Benefits 81 1
- Company petition 56 1
- Belated VAT Exception Application 185 6
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 556 13
- CT600 for the first time 141 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 324 7
- Agent with HMRC 184 9
- Propert purchase, renovation then rented out and VAT 63 1
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 563 9
- Sage Payroll 111 4
- VAT query 158 2
- company secretarial software 210 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 745
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 509
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 376
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 352
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 270
- VAT on Gaming Machines 223
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 209
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 200
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 186
- Director Loan account operation 169