Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Xmas party 106 1
- Just because it's Friday 271 6
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 3,357 66
- Inheritance Tax - Simple Question 141 4
- Non-resident employer & employee 104 4
- Capital Allowances 148 4
- equipment rental 219 10
- Acquisition by company 109 5
- Non sequitur 533 7
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 1,486 23
- R&D on products not sold 99 3
- Distance between Postcodes in Excel 901 13
- Tech Champion of the Year 239 5
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 194 4
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 638 9
- Transfer of land to family members 92 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 584 11
- The process of issuing dividend? 207 6
- Not registered for VAT. Germany wants proof! 234 5
- Pattern for CTA 321 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,364
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 436
- Alphabet shares 238
- Agent fees to sell business 230
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 227
- Charge out rates in London 179
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 168
- which entity 150
- UK tax regime 'attractive' to investors, says KPMG 142
- confusion about 140