Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 33 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,257 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,233 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 973 29
- You know its over 368 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 504 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 243 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 193 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 178 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 281 3
- Cocaine anyone? 527 8
- Late Registration for VAT 497 13
- EIS/SEIS 156 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 283 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 432 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 432 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 731 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 565 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 601 4
- Personal pension 407 9
- Hive up 493
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 462
- corporate hierarchy 444
- Advice - 276
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 229
- WWOOFers 219
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 210
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 206
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 185
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 177