Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- letter of reference 217 4
- Staff 211 4
- Software for Accounts layout 397 8
- Income prior to company formation 369 10
- rental property, pre letting costs 173 4
- VAT on farm machinery sold 369 7
- Non-resident company director 117 2
- are we that stupid 975 21
- Looking to move my email from PC to cloud 172 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 747 13
- Can this be done? 204 1
- Capital Allowance & AIA 138 1
- Foster Care 142 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 356 5
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 111 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 316 3
- Flat Management Company 222 1
- Share structure questions - close company 199 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 185 4
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 353 5
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 331
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 268
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 252
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 218
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 218
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 163
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 156
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 155
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 149