Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,018 24
- Pricing 308 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 228 5
- Partially exempt? 216 7
- Mexican student in UK 88 1
- Dividend in specie 176 3
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 138 7
- Lorry Drivers 99 1
- VAT 110 2
- QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent and ClearBooks 833 18
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 604 7
- Rental Income Tax Planning 199 3
- Vat 79 2
- Auto-Enrolment 3,814 184
- Method for filing 2013/14 payroll? 122 2
- Incorporation Relief 122 2
- First VAT Visit for client 139 2
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 251 11
- capital gains on PPR 1,442 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 328 9
- Skandia using wrong address 470
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 272
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 266
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 212
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 209
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 196
- Etax Australian 166
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 155