Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- FYAs on second-hand vans 215 6
- Why do I do this every year 340 9
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 240 20
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 287 5
- closing limited company 139 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 54 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 473 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 242 9
- IHT and US resident 46 1
- What sectors to target? 582 29
- Limited Companies Merger 205 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 129 1
- Practice management 375 7
- IHT and cash gifts 241 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 514 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,587 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 249 1
- eBay trading 230 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 258 10
- Self assesment online 946 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 925
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 645
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 593
- Latest phishing scam 574
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 409
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 309
- Scratch Head 237
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 229
- Sabbatical payments 193
- Negligible Value Claim 168