Goodwill: Sole trade to Partnership to Ltd Company
Please could someone point me in the right direction regarding my query...
In simple terms, my father commenced as a sole practioner some 20+ years ago after initially purchasing a small client base for lets say £1k which was classed as goodwill in his accounts.
Around 5 years ago, I joined forces with him, along with a fellow family member and we formed a new partnership. The assets of the sole trader, including the £1k goodwill were transferred into the partnership... the goodwill at this point would have had a value of, say £30k.
The client base has grown since 2007 and we have recently taken the decision to form a Ltd Co. The assets of the partnership wil be sold to the Ltd Co and these will include goodwill now valued at approx £80k.
Now, I am aware that goodwill created after Apr 2002 creates an allowable tax deduction equal to the amortisation charge - and my question is... could the "goodwill created wholly after Apr 2002" be classed as £50,000 (IE. £80,000 less £30,000) and a tax deduction claimed for the amortisation charge over the next however many years?
Or, am I on the wrong track?
Thank you for any help, relevant guidance.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,738 40
- Agent help line - long queues? 18 1
- Is it possible to run/own a UK based business, as a resident of Italy? 137 2
- What are options for non CA firm 3,068 66
- Incorporated when they should not have 324 10
- Accounts Software 245 10
- SMP reclaimable by employer 124 2
- Company Director In Prison 500 12
- Flat rate VAT 163 3
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 2,408 23
- Deduction from Salary 861 23
- National insurance contributions 124 1
- AWeb - download file 221 4
- Director Drawings 261 6
- Accountancy Career 371 5
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 159 1
- HMRC Agents Line 247 4
- calculation DTR restriction 104 1
- Charity work 263 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 317 6
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 687
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 534
- Cancelled 431
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 363
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 330
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 219
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 206