Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes
I have a client who was a sole trader running a business from 1998 to 20/01/2014 at which time it was beneficial to incorporate, I have since been told that she is wanting to move away (personal reasons) (which means that she will have to sell up as her business and clients are located where she lives.)
The CG34 has not been sent to HMRC as yet, but the approach i am using to value this is taxable profits and a multiplier of 2.5.
Profits (profits + add backs - capital allowances) for the last three years are:
2011 - 37635
2012 - 43511
2013 - 51726
Average over 3 years is 44290 multiplied by the multiplier of 2.5 equals £110,727 worth of goodwill.
If this figure is agreed capital gains tax after entrepreneurs relief will be £9982.67 (110727-10900 Annual Exemption at 10%)
My concern is that do i really want the goodwill to be this high as I don't believe that my client will get anywhere close to this amount on the sale of the company and she would be paying unnesesary CGT in the event of it.
She will have losses to carry forward but will probably not use them, although having said that she has a number of properties!!!!
As she was running the company prior to April 2002, she can only get the relief on selling the business which isnt a problem providing that she can get a decent amount for it. Obviously if if the sole trader business started trading after April 2002, I would want to get as much as possible so that the client could draw on it from her DLA.
Is there anything that I have overlooked, and if you were in this position would you do anything differently?
Thanks in advance
- P11D Query 156 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,355 379
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 136 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 130 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 82 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,252 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 487 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 263 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,279 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 113 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 169 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 108 1
- Scottish but not UK 319 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 287 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 94 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 441 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 105 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 299 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 331
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 325
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 243
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152