Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes
I have a client who was a sole trader running a business from 1998 to 20/01/2014 at which time it was beneficial to incorporate, I have since been told that she is wanting to move away (personal reasons) (which means that she will have to sell up as her business and clients are located where she lives.)
The CG34 has not been sent to HMRC as yet, but the approach i am using to value this is taxable profits and a multiplier of 2.5.
Profits (profits + add backs - capital allowances) for the last three years are:
2011 - 37635
2012 - 43511
2013 - 51726
Average over 3 years is 44290 multiplied by the multiplier of 2.5 equals £110,727 worth of goodwill.
If this figure is agreed capital gains tax after entrepreneurs relief will be £9982.67 (110727-10900 Annual Exemption at 10%)
My concern is that do i really want the goodwill to be this high as I don't believe that my client will get anywhere close to this amount on the sale of the company and she would be paying unnesesary CGT in the event of it.
She will have losses to carry forward but will probably not use them, although having said that she has a number of properties!!!!
As she was running the company prior to April 2002, she can only get the relief on selling the business which isnt a problem providing that she can get a decent amount for it. Obviously if if the sole trader business started trading after April 2002, I would want to get as much as possible so that the client could draw on it from her DLA.
Is there anything that I have overlooked, and if you were in this position would you do anything differently?
Thanks in advance
- Humour me...worrying without need? 127 1
- Accounting for buying off bank 95 6
- Am I too soft? 129 5
- Appealing agianst HMRC penalties for dormant company 192 3
- Edible spam? 653 15
- New Website Look 877 19
- Sacked my first client 284 12
- Indemnity question re IR35? 143 3
- Marketing and email surprises 265 6
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 44 1
- Pension contributions 289 9
- HMRC & daft penalty 1,929 13
- Benefit in Kind? 210 1
- Timesheet and travel expenses software for engineering consultants 91 3
- What would be a tax efficient way of selling the main business asset but keeping some to continue with business? 420 19
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 470 8
- Share transfer question 161 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,206 23
- Sage import sales invoices with due dates 127 3
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 155 3
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 414
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 402
- Perkbox 355
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 281
- WIP Software 279
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 209
- No payroll scheme in place 201
- Software recommendations 188
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 187
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 172