Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes
I have a client who was a sole trader running a business from 1998 to 20/01/2014 at which time it was beneficial to incorporate, I have since been told that she is wanting to move away (personal reasons) (which means that she will have to sell up as her business and clients are located where she lives.)
The CG34 has not been sent to HMRC as yet, but the approach i am using to value this is taxable profits and a multiplier of 2.5.
Profits (profits + add backs - capital allowances) for the last three years are:
2011 - 37635
2012 - 43511
2013 - 51726
Average over 3 years is 44290 multiplied by the multiplier of 2.5 equals £110,727 worth of goodwill.
If this figure is agreed capital gains tax after entrepreneurs relief will be £9982.67 (110727-10900 Annual Exemption at 10%)
My concern is that do i really want the goodwill to be this high as I don't believe that my client will get anywhere close to this amount on the sale of the company and she would be paying unnesesary CGT in the event of it.
She will have losses to carry forward but will probably not use them, although having said that she has a number of properties!!!!
As she was running the company prior to April 2002, she can only get the relief on selling the business which isnt a problem providing that she can get a decent amount for it. Obviously if if the sole trader business started trading after April 2002, I would want to get as much as possible so that the client could draw on it from her DLA.
Is there anything that I have overlooked, and if you were in this position would you do anything differently?
Thanks in advance
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 224 9
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 98 3
- Anybody still doing returns? 512 21
- no utr 219 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,084 49
- Designated sole Residence 43 1
- Director drawings 571 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 253 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 48 1
- Capital Loss 77 3
- HMRC filing meltdown? 795 25
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 649 14
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 402 6
- LLP formed in 2013 68 1
- Clothing 472 11
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 157 7
- Practice management 436 8
- Interest on pre-letting? 125 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,684 44
- Will simplified micro entities accounts result in loss of business ? 1,703 22
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 945
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 659
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 616
- Latest phishing scam 593
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 429
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 320
- Scratch Head 258
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 245
- Sabbatical payments 210
- Negligible Value Claim 188