Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes
I have a client who was a sole trader running a business from 1998 to 20/01/2014 at which time it was beneficial to incorporate, I have since been told that she is wanting to move away (personal reasons) (which means that she will have to sell up as her business and clients are located where she lives.)
The CG34 has not been sent to HMRC as yet, but the approach i am using to value this is taxable profits and a multiplier of 2.5.
Profits (profits + add backs - capital allowances) for the last three years are:
2011 - 37635
2012 - 43511
2013 - 51726
Average over 3 years is 44290 multiplied by the multiplier of 2.5 equals £110,727 worth of goodwill.
If this figure is agreed capital gains tax after entrepreneurs relief will be £9982.67 (110727-10900 Annual Exemption at 10%)
My concern is that do i really want the goodwill to be this high as I don't believe that my client will get anywhere close to this amount on the sale of the company and she would be paying unnesesary CGT in the event of it.
She will have losses to carry forward but will probably not use them, although having said that she has a number of properties!!!!
As she was running the company prior to April 2002, she can only get the relief on selling the business which isnt a problem providing that she can get a decent amount for it. Obviously if if the sole trader business started trading after April 2002, I would want to get as much as possible so that the client could draw on it from her DLA.
Is there anything that I have overlooked, and if you were in this position would you do anything differently?
Thanks in advance
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 64 5
- Personal pension 374 8
- How much of your work is admin? 1,172 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 866 27
- Cocaine anyone? 323 5
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 79 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,488 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 298 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 495 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 269 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 350 11
- Tax return software for remote working 496 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 595 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 473 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 461 9
- How to purchase business premises? 198 2
- Will I need to resign? 869 10
- Childcare vouchers 213 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 285 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 310 6
- Hive up 478
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 441
- corporate hierarchy 419
- Advice - 253
- Amortisation of Goodwill 226
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 213
- WWOOFers 207
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 190
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 184