Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes
I have a client who was a sole trader running a business from 1998 to 20/01/2014 at which time it was beneficial to incorporate, I have since been told that she is wanting to move away (personal reasons) (which means that she will have to sell up as her business and clients are located where she lives.)
The CG34 has not been sent to HMRC as yet, but the approach i am using to value this is taxable profits and a multiplier of 2.5.
Profits (profits + add backs - capital allowances) for the last three years are:
2011 - 37635
2012 - 43511
2013 - 51726
Average over 3 years is 44290 multiplied by the multiplier of 2.5 equals £110,727 worth of goodwill.
If this figure is agreed capital gains tax after entrepreneurs relief will be £9982.67 (110727-10900 Annual Exemption at 10%)
My concern is that do i really want the goodwill to be this high as I don't believe that my client will get anywhere close to this amount on the sale of the company and she would be paying unnesesary CGT in the event of it.
She will have losses to carry forward but will probably not use them, although having said that she has a number of properties!!!!
As she was running the company prior to April 2002, she can only get the relief on selling the business which isnt a problem providing that she can get a decent amount for it. Obviously if if the sole trader business started trading after April 2002, I would want to get as much as possible so that the client could draw on it from her DLA.
Is there anything that I have overlooked, and if you were in this position would you do anything differently?
Thanks in advance
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 148 2
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 87 1
- Clients 615 12
- Starting new accounting business 206 4
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 440 10
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 24 1
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 29 1
- Sage Payroll 72 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 99 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 413 8
- Tolley UK sales number 200 7
- Intermediaries reporting - who does it apply to? 104 2
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 339 14
- Are agent account managers any good? 131 2
- Non Resident Landlord Scheme - Penalties 68 3
- VAT registration - which address? 67 1
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 88 2
- Practice Company Secretarial Software recommendations please 226 4
- On line Remote Training 244 7
- Group Relief 80 1
- QROP pension input amounts 490
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 470
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 436
- EPS and CIS deductions 291
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 282
- Construction CIS LLP Company 273
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 236
- SAGE winforecast 196
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 179
- Overdrawn director account 171