Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Who owns SAGE Data? 368 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 249 6
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 423 14
- Expat working back in UK 54 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 70 3
- change of paye software 497 13
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 243 5
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 158 2
- Which software for practice books? 456 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 218 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 523 2
- share capital calculation 234 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 175 3
- Renting property to yourself 448 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,955 51
- RTI Student Loan Reconciliation 174 4
- Pension contributions limits 259 11
- pre letting expenses 126 1
- Ltd Company 155 4
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 171 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 723
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 471
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 286
- How to format a stock book 250
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 161