Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- P11D & tax return 56 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 2,140 47
- VAT - How hard is it? 2,063 59
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 705 22
- Capital Goods Scheme 50 3
- CGT Problem 796 7
- Concurrent users 286 6
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,359 16
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 432 9
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 226 1
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 2,048 13
- Selling Business 257 2
- Late loss relief claim 98 1
- Losses carry forward to self employed 492 8
- Creation of leases out of freehold 132 1
- CGT usage of ER lifetime limit 203 11
- Overseas marketing conferences 77 2
- Advice for new build property 292 4
- HMRC Online services password 167 3
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 413 6
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 788
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 432
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 383
- Electric Car 324
- S222 Charge 260
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 232
- IP trans to holding company 207
- AIA 202
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 195
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 159