Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- How to? 86 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 106 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 560 19
- New accountant 306 6
- Loss Relief 79 1
- Tax case reference request 159 2
- Working out a daily rate 236 6
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 154 2
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,392 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 479 6
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 102 2
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 90 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 205 2
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 218 5
- are receipts needed? 250 7
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 468 27
- Sage 50 201 2
- sole trader - operating under cis 240 7
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,985 65
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 799 28
- Skandia using wrong address 1,582
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 880
- International interest certificate 490
- NOVA 343
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 266
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 251
- Management expenses for investment company 239
- Bonus Bonds 233
- Help with tax codes on Sage 182
- Capital reduction 169