Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Consortium relief and bad debts 82 4
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 250 14
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 39 3
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,038 22
- VAT Option to tax 346 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief 74 3
- Sage payroll 628 13
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 987 17
- Laptop purchase 1,555 21
- CVA guidance 104 2
- BEST CPD COURSE 99 1
- Total cost of employment 277 3
- Accountancy software for an imac 260 6
- PAYE Coding Notices 522 10
- directors loan movements and repayments 242 3
- VAT registration for "co-operative" formed to provide flood defences 69 1
- Business travel apps 79 2
- EIS - connection through employment 67 1
- Weely paid employees 341 4
- Payroll - Previous year not filed 136 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 891
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 624
- Free Tax Legislation? 382
- Director Loan account operation 380
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 326
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 307
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 303
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 277
- Paye procedures for CVA 209
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 200