Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- How to walk away without questions 2,670 17
- IHT Query 400 9
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 62 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 92 2
- Get it off your chest 202 4
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 245 7
- Directors bonus 119 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 76 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 264 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 194 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 136 3
- break even point 1,108 33
- The return 744 27
- Sell business after leaving country 322 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 88 2
- Charity accounting 70 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 1,003 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 150 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 150 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 358 2
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 549
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 347
- Clubs and Taxable Income 289
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 207
- Outsource Data Entry 173
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172