Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 642 5
- See you all on the other side 692 6
- 12Pay 458 2
- dividends 609 2
- R&D 317 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,181 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 440 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 414 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 373 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 545 5
- Seeking a tax case 642 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 505 4
- Companies house strike off 550 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 429 2
- Moving to the cloud 745 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 216 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 904 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 210 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,092 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 501 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 327
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 297
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 293
- Marginal rates of tax 293
- Class 2 NI 277