Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- first year company tax return for a limited company 349 14
- Unallocated client money 328 9
- change of office address 225 7
- Property initial recognition 22 1
- Consolidation and Comparatives 20 1
- SAGE V12 99 2
- Errors in prior year accounts 721 19
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 214 5
- Expenses Apps 203 4
- Goodwill 63 3
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 250 6
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 220 9
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 280 6
- Are Locum Optician Travel Costs Allowable? 232 3
- Furniture Rental Business 168 4
- Solicitor accounts 223 5
- Real names 1,354 41
- Illegal dividends 110 1
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 176 3
- What are options for non CA firm 1,867 32
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 608
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 497
- Sorry ignore me 395
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 370
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 283
- Cancelled 255
- Cancelled 227
- Bartercard 187
- C79 Discrepancy 179
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 168