Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 89 1
- Fastest Software 643 10
- Where did it go? 222 2
- cancellation of Engagement 103 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 84 1
- Feuding directors 235 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 94 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 480 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,891 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 604 5
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 203 3
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 226 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 86 1
- Benefit fraud 3,417 49
- SA Tax Returns 151 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 133 2
- Consolidated accounts 118 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,021 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,399 22
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 243
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 198
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 164
- Trust for Employee 150
- Expat pension contributions? 147
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 133
- Capital allowances 119