Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Accountants' Error 708 14
- Corporation tax due date confusion 29 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 155 5
- ICPA taxwise fee protection 150 3
- Scoot 189 4
- Zero Rated VAT on New Building 155 2
- Tax code for Companies House fees 209 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 663 11
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,454 20
- VAT customer is registered in France, goods shipped to the UK 111 1
- Regaining my qualification 210 2
- Self-Assessment - NIC Exemption 238 2
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 238 2
- Auto enrolment 197 3
- Shareholder agreement 175 3
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 197 3
- Company Reorganisation 168 3
- Employee Loan 213 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 468 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 597 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,453
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 770
- Any views 700
- HMRC Employers Diary 523
- International interest certificate 426
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 392
- Sale of business 357
- NOVA 261
- Advertising services? 258
- IRIS Open Books problem 251