Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 365 6
- New Starter Checklist 135 5
- TaxCalc Accounts production 197 3
- HMRC Distraint 182 2
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 175 2
- Will I need to resign? 589 9
- Old CGT loss 278 8
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 685 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 431 20
- What are the implications for a UK company director resident in Canada 72 3
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 321 8
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 396 7
- Which operating version would be better to upgrade to..Windows V7 or V8? 1,026 16
- How to explain this to someone 150 1
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,401 20
- UK Pension Income For Non-Residents 141 5
- Should Nominal Ledger be given to new accountant 622 15
- Charges for VAT MOSS 219 1
- Limited company purchase of property 503 4
- Goodwill complications 292 6