Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Practical experience 817 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 405 9
- Personal Tax 115 1
- VAT 300 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 154 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 113 1
- last minute request 209 3
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 113 2
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 76 1
- Cash gift from India 480 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 71 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 412 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 93 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 235 6
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,140 44
- Maternity and claining expenses 648 6
- Overseas workday relief 157 5
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 303 3
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 667 13
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 125 1