Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 202 4
- Turnover on a tax return 95 7
- incorrect old p60 366 9
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 222 3
- VAT refund 94 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 176 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 253 3
- Missing tax return 357 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,088 30
- Inflation and fees 1,389 24
- Sage Priority Support 177 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 833 24
- Micro-entity accounts 254 1
- Related party disclosure 216 3
- Company reconstruction 153 1
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 240 6
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 159 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 180 1
- Advice please! 427 2
- VAT on new builds 190 3