Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- SMP reclaimable by employer 34 1
- AWeb - download file 151 3
- Charity work 224 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 220 6
- Director Drawings 128 5
- Accounts Software 83 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,672 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 253 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 216 7
- HMRC Agents Line 175 3
- Collection or business assets 93 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 258 8
- Company Director In Prison 421 10
- Tax position re this lease? 366 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 716 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 98 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,668 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 87 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 344 5
- pension paid by company? 332 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 513
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 202