Goodwill Write off on Post Office Closure
Can anyone help me on this please:-
I bought a Post Office 6 years ago and paid goodwill to the seller ( which equated to 18 months monthly Post Office income). I am self employed but paid by the Post Office by transaction volume.
Under the Post Office Network Transformation Plan (and with my agreement) my Post Office is moving into a convenience store.
They effectively get the business for free and I get 18 months voluntary redundancy from the Post Office. I am happy with this as I am getting back my investment and a little more as I have built up the monthly transactions.
With regards to the tax on closing the business. I assumed that when I 'give' the business away I could write off against profits the whole of the goodwill. However when I have gone on the HMRC website they are no help at all.
I am hoping that given the amount of PO closures in recent years that one of you may know the answer.
- P60 Plain Paper from Sage Payroll 52 1
- claim fees with out without VAT? 97 2
- Vat on motor repairs 104 2
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 1,467 12
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,542 53
- Anyone done ATT? 113 3
- saturday staff 282 3
- indexation factors 39 1
- VAT invoice 71 2
- Free accounts system for small business? 164 5
- Property Revaluation - Postings 54 1
- Received a CIS invoice 162 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 163 4
- Electronic v printed payslips 232 4
- Is anyone using micro entity accounts 995 13
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 380 5
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 832 7
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 239 3
- Fee protection 1,021 20
- PPR Sanity Check 119 1
- Xtuple 574
- Qtac payroll for bureau 400
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 350
- Domain name sale and limited company 246
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 233
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 221
- Tax on damages received 195
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 190
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 159
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 156