Googs Apps and Gmail questions
Please can anyone advise on the following points. We are a small accountancy business of six people and have all our data on cloud based.
We are currently using Outlook and were planning a move to Gmail, primarily to facilitate a better marketing and client relationship management database. We use Digita for practice software, and although this facilitates a fair amount of CRM we don't find it geared towards managing a more details marketing database of prospects, contacts, and clients, and also it doesn't facilitate the scheduling of regular phone calls, client contacts etc. We planned to do this with one of the Google Apps CRM apps.
Everything was ready for transfer when at the eleventh hour someone technically knowledgeable at our cloud solution provider has come up with a load of reasons why we shouldn't do it, such as:
- Google doesn't back up it's data so you have to find a way of doing this yourselves. Is this the case?
- Google data is held in the US and the ICAEW, ACCA (and FSA) recommend data to be held in the UK or EU?
- EU requirement are that data be held within the EU. From what we can see (albeit from a Google search) there is a US/EU agreement called Safe-Harbor where data held by Google and other participating US companies is treated as being held under the same priovacy standards as the EU.
- Very few accountants, and none of the large accountancy practices have migrated from Outlook to Google. I can't tell whether this is the case or not, but from a previous post we know at least a few firms use Gmail for business. We aren't a large accountancy firm anyway so I'm not sure how relevant that is, except from a confidence point of view.
So does anyone have any comments or advice on the above points, and on whether or not this is a risky move?
- Tax Return Paid for but not submitted 31 1
- Charging for Blank Payslips? 80 3
- Companies House 169 5
- Related Party Disclosure for Director who resigned in year 61 1
- Going concern 64 2
- Intermediaries and Personal Services Companies 71 1
- Terminal Loss Claim 82 3
- VAT and selling on Amazon 242 2
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 2,101 29
- What would you do? 1,405 8
- Rollover Relief - Commercial to Residential 281 7
- Bank account frozen 385 6
- Intercompany - Sage 50 Accounts 125 2
- Writing Website Content 788 24
- Can employer reduce my ACCA tuition fees? 302 2
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 254 1
- Foreign dividends via UK portfolio 156 1
- Charity Account-independent examiner 278 4
- Concurrent users 849 11
- nevermind 273 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 454
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 430
- Electric Car 364
- S222 Charge 288
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 271
- IP trans to holding company 225
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 202
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 173
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 171
- Tax on donations for the beneficiary 164