Googs Apps and Gmail questions
Please can anyone advise on the following points. We are a small accountancy business of six people and have all our data on cloud based.
We are currently using Outlook and were planning a move to Gmail, primarily to facilitate a better marketing and client relationship management database. We use Digita for practice software, and although this facilitates a fair amount of CRM we don't find it geared towards managing a more details marketing database of prospects, contacts, and clients, and also it doesn't facilitate the scheduling of regular phone calls, client contacts etc. We planned to do this with one of the Google Apps CRM apps.
Everything was ready for transfer when at the eleventh hour someone technically knowledgeable at our cloud solution provider has come up with a load of reasons why we shouldn't do it, such as:
- Google doesn't back up it's data so you have to find a way of doing this yourselves. Is this the case?
- Google data is held in the US and the ICAEW, ACCA (and FSA) recommend data to be held in the UK or EU?
- EU requirement are that data be held within the EU. From what we can see (albeit from a Google search) there is a US/EU agreement called Safe-Harbor where data held by Google and other participating US companies is treated as being held under the same priovacy standards as the EU.
- Very few accountants, and none of the large accountancy practices have migrated from Outlook to Google. I can't tell whether this is the case or not, but from a previous post we know at least a few firms use Gmail for business. We aren't a large accountancy firm anyway so I'm not sure how relevant that is, except from a confidence point of view.
So does anyone have any comments or advice on the above points, and on whether or not this is a risky move?
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 161 4
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 188 4
- VAT Query 147 2
- Overlap relief 688 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 149 2
- Sacked my first client 589 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 381 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 192 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,243 24
- Share transfer question 246 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 600 11
- Trades and deadlines 116 3
- How to pay national insurance 640 18
- New Website Look 1,065 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 252 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 220 5
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 152 4
- Marketing and email surprises 341 7
- Am I too soft? 453 13
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,220 16
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 417
- WIP Software 284
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 216
- No payroll scheme in place 213
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 193
- Software recommendations 193
- Is there anything wrong with this? 184
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 182