Googs Apps and Gmail questions
Please can anyone advise on the following points. We are a small accountancy business of six people and have all our data on cloud based.
We are currently using Outlook and were planning a move to Gmail, primarily to facilitate a better marketing and client relationship management database. We use Digita for practice software, and although this facilitates a fair amount of CRM we don't find it geared towards managing a more details marketing database of prospects, contacts, and clients, and also it doesn't facilitate the scheduling of regular phone calls, client contacts etc. We planned to do this with one of the Google Apps CRM apps.
Everything was ready for transfer when at the eleventh hour someone technically knowledgeable at our cloud solution provider has come up with a load of reasons why we shouldn't do it, such as:
- Google doesn't back up it's data so you have to find a way of doing this yourselves. Is this the case?
- Google data is held in the US and the ICAEW, ACCA (and FSA) recommend data to be held in the UK or EU?
- EU requirement are that data be held within the EU. From what we can see (albeit from a Google search) there is a US/EU agreement called Safe-Harbor where data held by Google and other participating US companies is treated as being held under the same priovacy standards as the EU.
- Very few accountants, and none of the large accountancy practices have migrated from Outlook to Google. I can't tell whether this is the case or not, but from a previous post we know at least a few firms use Gmail for business. We aren't a large accountancy firm anyway so I'm not sure how relevant that is, except from a confidence point of view.
So does anyone have any comments or advice on the above points, and on whether or not this is a risky move?
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 310 7
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 38 1
- Flat Rate Scheme 187 11
- Giving a seminar 432 23
- Care to help a student out? 225 9
- Interest on Loan to a Company 216 1
- Residency 91 day rule 174 1
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 827 12
- Dazed & confused 1,278 9
- deleting customers on Sage 50 53 2
- Altered PAYE cheque 100 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 122 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,033 30
- Writing off bad debts 130 3
- PAYE coding notices 92 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 665 17
- Is there a time limit on VAT claims on DIY barn conversions? 129 2
- Contra entry in Sage Line 50 accounts professional 92 3
- Excel - protecting a cell 113 4
- Foreign Tax 112 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,181
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 596
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 401
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 306
- Agent fees to sell business 185
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 183
- Alphabet shares 181
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 171
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 150
- EBT 148