Googs Apps and Gmail questions
Please can anyone advise on the following points. We are a small accountancy business of six people and have all our data on cloud based.
We are currently using Outlook and were planning a move to Gmail, primarily to facilitate a better marketing and client relationship management database. We use Digita for practice software, and although this facilitates a fair amount of CRM we don't find it geared towards managing a more details marketing database of prospects, contacts, and clients, and also it doesn't facilitate the scheduling of regular phone calls, client contacts etc. We planned to do this with one of the Google Apps CRM apps.
Everything was ready for transfer when at the eleventh hour someone technically knowledgeable at our cloud solution provider has come up with a load of reasons why we shouldn't do it, such as:
- Google doesn't back up it's data so you have to find a way of doing this yourselves. Is this the case?
- Google data is held in the US and the ICAEW, ACCA (and FSA) recommend data to be held in the UK or EU?
- EU requirement are that data be held within the EU. From what we can see (albeit from a Google search) there is a US/EU agreement called Safe-Harbor where data held by Google and other participating US companies is treated as being held under the same priovacy standards as the EU.
- Very few accountants, and none of the large accountancy practices have migrated from Outlook to Google. I can't tell whether this is the case or not, but from a previous post we know at least a few firms use Gmail for business. We aren't a large accountancy firm anyway so I'm not sure how relevant that is, except from a confidence point of view.
So does anyone have any comments or advice on the above points, and on whether or not this is a risky move?
- VT accounts licence key 145 4
- PTP software disaster 121 1
- Wrong career 316 13
- Value pricing 617 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 188 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 82 1
- FPS Submission 43 1
- vat return 194 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 141 3
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 153 4
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 53 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,936 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 139 3
- Director's tax return 111 2
- reporting salary? 236 5
- Other forums 187 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 360 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 155 1
- Career Advice 158 3
- Would this save hours of your time? 282 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 780
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 532
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 399
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 230
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- Director Loan account operation 219
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 212
- Paye procedures for CVA 153