Googs Apps and Gmail questions
Please can anyone advise on the following points. We are a small accountancy business of six people and have all our data on cloud based.
We are currently using Outlook and were planning a move to Gmail, primarily to facilitate a better marketing and client relationship management database. We use Digita for practice software, and although this facilitates a fair amount of CRM we don't find it geared towards managing a more details marketing database of prospects, contacts, and clients, and also it doesn't facilitate the scheduling of regular phone calls, client contacts etc. We planned to do this with one of the Google Apps CRM apps.
Everything was ready for transfer when at the eleventh hour someone technically knowledgeable at our cloud solution provider has come up with a load of reasons why we shouldn't do it, such as:
- Google doesn't back up it's data so you have to find a way of doing this yourselves. Is this the case?
- Google data is held in the US and the ICAEW, ACCA (and FSA) recommend data to be held in the UK or EU?
- EU requirement are that data be held within the EU. From what we can see (albeit from a Google search) there is a US/EU agreement called Safe-Harbor where data held by Google and other participating US companies is treated as being held under the same priovacy standards as the EU.
- Very few accountants, and none of the large accountancy practices have migrated from Outlook to Google. I can't tell whether this is the case or not, but from a previous post we know at least a few firms use Gmail for business. We aren't a large accountancy firm anyway so I'm not sure how relevant that is, except from a confidence point of view.
So does anyone have any comments or advice on the above points, and on whether or not this is a risky move?
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 403 4
- sole trader - operating under cis 65 2
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 104 2
- What does it mean?? 349 11
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 286 13
- VAT on motor expenses 895 32
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 71 1
- Why do HMRC have a different FPS liability to the amount I sent? 1,707 22
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,306 40
- How to account fot Cross-border vat. 101 1
- Entrepreneurs' relief for trustees - receipt of rent 140 3
- Associated companies - CT small profits relief 165 7
- Introduction of Goodwill 201 5
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 160 4
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 748 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 392 12
- Money transfers between companies owned by one person 210 9
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 334 11
- Sage 50 (2010) 117 2
- Recommendation of US tax adviser? 97 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,548
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 853
- International interest certificate 472
- NOVA 329
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 236
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 222
- Management expenses for investment company 210
- Bonus Bonds 209
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 205
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 194