Googs Apps and Gmail questions
Please can anyone advise on the following points. We are a small accountancy business of six people and have all our data on cloud based.
We are currently using Outlook and were planning a move to Gmail, primarily to facilitate a better marketing and client relationship management database. We use Digita for practice software, and although this facilitates a fair amount of CRM we don't find it geared towards managing a more details marketing database of prospects, contacts, and clients, and also it doesn't facilitate the scheduling of regular phone calls, client contacts etc. We planned to do this with one of the Google Apps CRM apps.
Everything was ready for transfer when at the eleventh hour someone technically knowledgeable at our cloud solution provider has come up with a load of reasons why we shouldn't do it, such as:
- Google doesn't back up it's data so you have to find a way of doing this yourselves. Is this the case?
- Google data is held in the US and the ICAEW, ACCA (and FSA) recommend data to be held in the UK or EU?
- EU requirement are that data be held within the EU. From what we can see (albeit from a Google search) there is a US/EU agreement called Safe-Harbor where data held by Google and other participating US companies is treated as being held under the same priovacy standards as the EU.
- Very few accountants, and none of the large accountancy practices have migrated from Outlook to Google. I can't tell whether this is the case or not, but from a previous post we know at least a few firms use Gmail for business. We aren't a large accountancy firm anyway so I'm not sure how relevant that is, except from a confidence point of view.
So does anyone have any comments or advice on the above points, and on whether or not this is a risky move?
- Running two businesses from the same premises 371 4
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 180 2
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 528 19
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 172 2
- Old CGT loss 189 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 131 3
- Paper tax return 129 4
- Start up allowance? 364 12
- Will I need to resign? 140 1
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,347 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 234 3
- AIA or IFA 445 7
- Surely not? 442 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 631 9
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 355 7
- Late Registration for VAT 355 11
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 269 5
- Nominal Ledger 361 10
- Share structures 148 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,159 19