Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 1,199 17
- Clothing 528 14
- Anybody still doing returns? 750 31
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 164 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 175 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 104 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 353 16
- Designated sole Residence 152 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 727 15
- Anyone know what this is? 263 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 907 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 529 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 274 9
- no utr 302 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,142 49
- Director drawings 611 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 298 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 93 1
- Capital Loss 139 3
- LLP formed in 2013 110 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 955
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 678
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 624
- Latest phishing scam 599
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 438
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 327
- Scratch Head 266
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 257
- Sabbatical payments 219
- Negligible Value Claim 198