Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 72 2
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 646 16
- Sole Trader or Ltd Company 405 4
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 57 2
- Charge for tax returns 642 12
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 349 4
- Real time 246 3
- Company Number 10000000 1,077 14
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 405 14
- Reimbursing director travel costs 193 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,870 42
- When to top-up pensions? 269 3
- Coming off flat rate VAT 222 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 209 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 757 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 826 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 506 10
- Withdrawal of a quote 546 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 277 3
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 270 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 475
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 291
- DTA tie-breaker issue 282
- CGT for NOn UK residents 246
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 222
- Apprenticeship Levy 221
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 214
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 201
- Just checking re PSA 199
- Capital Gains personal representatives 198