Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 126 2
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 215 5
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 443 10
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 249 16
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 331 13
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 35 1
- Can't read my handwriting 669 16
- Corp Tax Refund 207 3
- corp tax software 1,058 14
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 388 13
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 434 6
- PRR 476 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 136 1
- Working from home - time apportionment 311 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 218 2
- cross border vat 120 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,961 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 805 17
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,674 74
- Employing a carer 150 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,375
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 521
- National Insurance 421
- Non Resident 322
- Hands on experience of Digita 245
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 231
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Employer's Helpline 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 153
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 152