Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 1,099 34
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 379 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,191 30
- Treatment of private ambulances on introduction to business 161 4
- New Company reviews please 642 16
- Business only use of company car 749 27
- Voluntary Disclosure 417 8
- Gift to son by parents 187 1
- valuation of vehicles 496 19
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 297 4
- Director Salaries - Sole Director Limited Company who is also employed elsewhere 207 1
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 423 3
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 469 4
- BTC is slow 316 3
- Director registration for SA question 542 17
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 479 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 523 22
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 535 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 372 4
- VAT with Russia 294 2
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 328
- Any thoughts on Capium? 269
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 265
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 251
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 231
- auto enrolment 205
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 189
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 179
- How to account for investment in JV? 169
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 160