Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Dental practice incorpration 99 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 977 55
- Audit rules 143 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 215 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 795 20
- Go Cardless 252 8
- business entertaining deductibility 109 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 105 2
- R & D 98 3
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 220 1
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 66 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 104 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 140 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 127 1
- New Business Registration 207 5
- Hosted email exchange 123 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 142 1
- G P life time allowance 112 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 366 11
- Bringing money to Uk 211 3
- Xtuple 500
- Qtac payroll for bureau 333
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 277
- Industrial & Provident Societies 274
- Mehjoo 219
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 216
- New strategic report 169
- Domain name sale and limited company 155
- South African Government Pension 151
- CIS schemes 146