Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 105 2
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 167 12
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 106 2
- You know its over 208 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 122 3
- Cocaine anyone? 446 8
- Late Registration for VAT 468 13
- EIS/SEIS 129 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 256 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 397 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 393 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 660 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 528 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 552 4
- Personal pension 390 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 213 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,197 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 897 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 133 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,510 22
- Hive up 480
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 445
- corporate hierarchy 428
- Advice - 263
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 217
- WWOOFers 212
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 200
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 169
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 166