Got a right one 'ere!
I’ve recently acquired a new client, small business owner managed lifestyle business.
Client year end is April 2012 is bit of a rush to get the accounts done, but on the face of it I received detailed information from the client and prompt and fairly detailed response from the outgoing accountant.
However, when checking the TB to the annual accounts for last year there were a number of differences.
1. TB included a £37k overdrawn director’s loan account – accounts didn’t. I queries this with the outgoing account and received the following response:
“The net balance of directors' loan account amounting to £23k was shown as cash in hand since we were advised that the amount was returned to the company after the year end.”
This cash was not received after the year end and the director was not aware of the need to pay these funds into the business.
2. The difference of £14k appeared in accruals in the accounts and I got this explanation:
“The £14k was a provision of director’s bonus, and therefore included in accruals.”
Suffice to say that this bonus was never paid and the client was not aware of the need to pay it. Plus the accounting entries don't work.
So I have a position where last year’s accounts are a work of fiction and the company has a significant CT liability for the overdrawn DLA for last year.
I will be advising the client that:
1. I need to amend the annual accounts and submit an amended CT600.
2. There will be a CT liability of £9.25k for last year which needs to be paid asap and probably interest and penalties.
3. Judging by draft figures for the 2012 year end the DLA will be even more overdrawn and there will be further CT to pay on this – now.
I’d appreciate comments from others on this situation and my proposed plan of action. In addition what if any action the client can take against the old accountants (whose website is ‘under construction’ and don’t appear to be a member of a professional body).
- Cash in Hand 168 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 190 5
- are receipts needed? 635 17
- SA302's anyone?? 621 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 335 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 143 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 358 12
- Busines software 174 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 206 6
- Converting a barn for business use 189 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 320 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 325 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 495 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 332 3
- Bookkeping software 736 7
- Clogged Losses 286 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 284 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 670 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 279 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 133 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 910
- International interest certificate 522
- NOVA 373
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 335
- Management expenses for investment company 276
- Bonus Bonds 273
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 187
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 168
- P11D benefit received by widow 167
- EXACT ONLINE 166