Group Personal Pension Error
Client with approx 200 employees has been deducting pension contributions incorrectly for several years.
Employees contribute 5% of gross salary so for example:-
Gross Monthly Salary £2,000
Pension deduction shown on payslip £100 (i.e. 5% of gross with no tax relief)
£100 is send to pension provider, pension provider recovers the tax from HMRC (thinking that company has given tax relief to employee).
So the employee's net pay has reduced by £100 instead of £80; the pension provider has recovered an extra £25 tax relief (as they assume the employee paid £125 less £25 tax relief).
Is this a PAYE violation? If so is the company liable to fix this & repay the tax.
Does the pension provider repay the tax?
Has anyone came across this situation & how was it handled with HMRC/Pension provide?
Many thanks for any comments.
- Audit rules 211 6
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 249 7
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 233 1
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 247 1
- Sales Commission to Employees / External Companies 30 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 262 2
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax 41 1
- How do you value an internet based business 822 11
- Capital repayments 49 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 98 1
- business entertaining deductibility 261 2
- Flat Rate VAT 167 1
- SA302 402 8
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 521 6
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 417 8
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 472 5
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 491 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 215 2
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,547 41
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 162 1
- Xtuple 528
- Qtac payroll for bureau 359
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 303
- Industrial & Provident Societies 296
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 225
- Domain name sale and limited company 186
- CIS schemes 184
- Investment 163
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 161
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 136