Group Personal Pension Error
Client with approx 200 employees has been deducting pension contributions incorrectly for several years.
Employees contribute 5% of gross salary so for example:-
Gross Monthly Salary £2,000
Pension deduction shown on payslip £100 (i.e. 5% of gross with no tax relief)
£100 is send to pension provider, pension provider recovers the tax from HMRC (thinking that company has given tax relief to employee).
So the employee's net pay has reduced by £100 instead of £80; the pension provider has recovered an extra £25 tax relief (as they assume the employee paid £125 less £25 tax relief).
Is this a PAYE violation? If so is the company liable to fix this & repay the tax.
Does the pension provider repay the tax?
Has anyone came across this situation & how was it handled with HMRC/Pension provide?
Many thanks for any comments.
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 402 4
- Setting up a practice 280 4
- Very large share capital by mistake 425 6
- 24 month rule and expenses 199 1
- Love is in the air 488 6
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 647 17
- Stamp Duty 287 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 233 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,781 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 522 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 214 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 258 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,018 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 561 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 569 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 362 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 387 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 444 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 484 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 301 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 298
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 286
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 275
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 251
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 238
- Apprenticeship Levy 236
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 219
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 198