Group Personal Pension Error
Client with approx 200 employees has been deducting pension contributions incorrectly for several years.
Employees contribute 5% of gross salary so for example:-
Gross Monthly Salary £2,000
Pension deduction shown on payslip £100 (i.e. 5% of gross with no tax relief)
£100 is send to pension provider, pension provider recovers the tax from HMRC (thinking that company has given tax relief to employee).
So the employee's net pay has reduced by £100 instead of £80; the pension provider has recovered an extra £25 tax relief (as they assume the employee paid £125 less £25 tax relief).
Is this a PAYE violation? If so is the company liable to fix this & repay the tax.
Does the pension provider repay the tax?
Has anyone came across this situation & how was it handled with HMRC/Pension provide?
Many thanks for any comments.
- AWeb - download file 146 3
- Charity work 222 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 218 6
- Director Drawings 123 5
- Accounts Software 78 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,669 38
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 253 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 215 7
- HMRC Agents Line 175 3
- Collection or business assets 91 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 256 8
- Company Director In Prison 420 10
- Tax position re this lease? 366 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 713 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 98 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,665 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 87 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 342 5
- pension paid by company? 331 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 758 17
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 512
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 327
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 243
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 201