Group Personal Pension Error
Client with approx 200 employees has been deducting pension contributions incorrectly for several years.
Employees contribute 5% of gross salary so for example:-
Gross Monthly Salary £2,000
Pension deduction shown on payslip £100 (i.e. 5% of gross with no tax relief)
£100 is send to pension provider, pension provider recovers the tax from HMRC (thinking that company has given tax relief to employee).
So the employee's net pay has reduced by £100 instead of £80; the pension provider has recovered an extra £25 tax relief (as they assume the employee paid £125 less £25 tax relief).
Is this a PAYE violation? If so is the company liable to fix this & repay the tax.
Does the pension provider repay the tax?
Has anyone came across this situation & how was it handled with HMRC/Pension provide?
Many thanks for any comments.
- Personal Tax 191 3
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,863 41
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 239 2
- Xerocon 2016 812 12
- Mortgage Reference 168 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 154 3
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,177 45
- Practical experience 850 15
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 432 9
- VAT 307 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 218 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 182 1
- last minute request 286 3
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 80 1
- Cash gift from India 503 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 84 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 461 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 126 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 277 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 669 6