Group Personal Pension Error
Client with approx 200 employees has been deducting pension contributions incorrectly for several years.
Employees contribute 5% of gross salary so for example:-
Gross Monthly Salary £2,000
Pension deduction shown on payslip £100 (i.e. 5% of gross with no tax relief)
£100 is send to pension provider, pension provider recovers the tax from HMRC (thinking that company has given tax relief to employee).
So the employee's net pay has reduced by £100 instead of £80; the pension provider has recovered an extra £25 tax relief (as they assume the employee paid £125 less £25 tax relief).
Is this a PAYE violation? If so is the company liable to fix this & repay the tax.
Does the pension provider repay the tax?
Has anyone came across this situation & how was it handled with HMRC/Pension provide?
Many thanks for any comments.
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 80 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 49 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,683 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 97 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 284 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,031 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 262 7
- Sage data 103 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 362 6
- Funding Circle experience 154 3
- Excel query 119 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,293 13
- Payment on account penalties 129 3
- Tax on free shares 145 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 208 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 125 1
- Audit 491 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 127 3
- Buying a horse?? 430 12
- CTA study material 805
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 496
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 461
- Employment related securities question 323
- AIM Stocks and IHT 311
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 281
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 233
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161