Group Personal Pension Error
Client with approx 200 employees has been deducting pension contributions incorrectly for several years.
Employees contribute 5% of gross salary so for example:-
Gross Monthly Salary £2,000
Pension deduction shown on payslip £100 (i.e. 5% of gross with no tax relief)
£100 is send to pension provider, pension provider recovers the tax from HMRC (thinking that company has given tax relief to employee).
So the employee's net pay has reduced by £100 instead of £80; the pension provider has recovered an extra £25 tax relief (as they assume the employee paid £125 less £25 tax relief).
Is this a PAYE violation? If so is the company liable to fix this & repay the tax.
Does the pension provider repay the tax?
Has anyone came across this situation & how was it handled with HMRC/Pension provide?
Many thanks for any comments.
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 227 1
- Deferred Tax 425 7
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,001 30
- Benefit in Kind 190 5
- You know its over 427 5
- Am I getting Soft?? 123 8
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 128 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 205 3
- Wrong tax code 76 4
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,257 14
- Cocaine anyone? 584 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 115 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 175 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 296 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 480 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,296 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 532 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 263 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 219 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 209 2
- Hive up 500
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 468
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 284
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 225
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 211
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 189
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 187
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160