Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 246 3
- Cocaine anyone? 82 2
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,460 21
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 801 25
- ACCA - still making me laugh 425 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 239 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 309 11
- Tax return software for remote working 465 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 509 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 422 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 443 9
- How to purchase business premises? 147 2
- Will I need to resign? 809 10
- Childcare vouchers 163 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 271 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 297 6
- VAT avoidance? 221 4
- Can S455 tax repaid 183 3
- PAYE coding out 180 3
- Follower cases 574 2
- Hive up 469
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 437
- corporate hierarchy 415
- Advice - 243
- Amortisation of Goodwill 217
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 203
- WWOOFers 199
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 179
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 178
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 177