Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 193 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 725 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 806 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 470 10
- Real time 193 2
- Withdrawal of a quote 401 7
- Opt To Tax Refund 257 3
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 233 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 220 5
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 603 15
- When to top-up pensions? 185 2
- Support / ticketing software 334 11
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 333 3
- Imported goods and VAT 147 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 439 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 594 11
- Stamp Duty 188 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,867 22
- Company Number 10000000 999 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 371 5
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 471
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 290
- DTA tie-breaker issue 281
- CGT for NOn UK residents 244
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 220
- Apprenticeship Levy 218
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 211
- Just checking re PSA 197
- Capital Gains personal representatives 191
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 177