Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 232 7
- Directors bonus 109 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 67 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 258 3
- Get it off your chest 180 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 176 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 127 3
- break even point 1,103 33
- The return 728 27
- Sell business after leaving country 322 6
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 74 1
- IHT Query 394 8
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 86 2
- Charity accounting 65 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 996 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 149 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 145 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 356 2
- Limited Company trading status. 327 8
- Payroll 183 6
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 546
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 347
- Clubs and Taxable Income 288
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 206
- Outsource Data Entry 172
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172