Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Related Parties Note 398 9
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 71 2
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 34 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 106 4
- Have i messed up? 566 9
- loss on carbon credits 84 2
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 160 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 535 9
- SAGE con 165 3
- Dazed & confused 125 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 226 2
- Overpayment relief claim 113 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 220 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,526 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 508 28
- Charity reserves 109 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,497 16
- Aweb Fantasy Practice 1,253 19
- do I have to pay NI? 270 4
- rates of pay query 156 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,001
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 541
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 203
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 178
- Interest on Loan to a Company 170