Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Business only use of company car 222 6
- Dividend Tax Petition 307 4
- Buying a business premises in a pension 180 3
- Unilateral Relief - How to calculate UK tax paid 173 2
- Tax efficient vehicle 472 9
- Going through security 257 5
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 463 17
- Sage VAT return reports difference post reconciliation 226 1
- Bank reconciliation 265 8
- Practice software 661 14
- Financial Forecasting software recommendations please 335 3
- Sage Accounts in a mess 271 5
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 162 2
- As I was saying, Its VAT question day 245 7
- Goodwill on incorporation 504 17
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 355 10
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 202 2
- Retail business software/accounting system 139 2
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 201 9
- Certificate of Tax Deposit and APN's 113 1
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 242
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 225
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 212
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 200
- Web site and client access area advice 182
- Expenses Software 179
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 169
- Any thoughts on Capium? 163
- CTA Material 162
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 160