Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 176 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 266 4
- Self assesment losses 264 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 145 3
- Off site storage 66 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,064 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 100 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 92 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 517 4
- Joint Property rent 149 3
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 196 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 236 1
- Fee protection 865 16
- Overdrawn DLA 259 9
- Disposal of an opted property 132 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 240 5
- Irish Taxation 97 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,132 31
- CIS monthly declaration 199 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 373 4
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 382
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 334
- Industrial & Provident Societies 322
- Domain name sale and limited company 223
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 204
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 203
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 159