Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,305 37
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,737 72
- CRM systems? 67 2
- Accountancy Career 534 13
- Help with HMRC investigation 498 9
- Vat on Payments on Account 108 3
- Estate agents - shared commission 186 5
- Yorkshire Day 352 25
- MAAT vs ACCA 537 10
- E-Magazines and pdfs 74 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 918 25
- Deleted question? 268 3
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,155 22
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 103 5
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 110 3
- calculation DTR restriction 152 4
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 68 1
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 175 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,874 45
- Group Audit Thresholds 409 12
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 558
- Cancelled 443
- Cancelled 371
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 368
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 345
- Probiz 344
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 213
- More spam 173