Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 148 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,073 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 153 2
- What would you do in this situation? 667 14
- Dress code 486 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 512 16
- Project being run jointly 207 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 315 4
- Companies House 612 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 368 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 736 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,449 25
- Help Required 426 10
- directors control and tax problems 306 5
- Fastest Software 808 13
- What's in a name ? 404 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 315 4
- Bulk Invoicing 193 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 187 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 266 2
- CTA study material 715
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 438
- Employment related securities question 275
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 255
- AIM Stocks and IHT 252
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 227
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 214
- Expat pension contributions? 201
- Trust for Employee 198
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 178