Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 246 15
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,307 16
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 89 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 287 9
- Cars Leased primarily for Taxi Hire 141 1
- VAT on digital streaming of my company's music? 143 2
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 179 5
- Does this annoy anyone else ? 3,250 42
- Recharge for private use of a company car 125 2
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 114 1
- IR35 - it it worth worrying about any more? 376 7
- Wear and tear allowance 451 10
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 198 6
- Residency test 199 4
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 242 3
- VAT Turnover 137 1
- HMRC - No Deadline to Respond? 145 1
- Recording fuel VAT adjustment in Sage 132 4
- Company purchase of shares 289 16
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 142 2
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 690
- Auto enrolment excuses 661
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 365
- Social investment tax relief 181
- Call Centre Data Costs 178
- Digita Hosted Software 176
- option to tax 161
- VAT on deposits 148
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 136
- Travel costs and contractors 130