Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 272 9
- Residential Management Companies 44 2
- Value pricing 2,826 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 370 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 356 11
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 817 34
- Payroll software for Mac 105 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 81 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 207 5
- CIS and Close Company 190 6
- LLP members share of profits 621 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 419 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 129 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 84 1
- Registered Office 80 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 101 1
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 286 7
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 534 17
- 64-8 on paper or online? 102 2
- Management fees agreement 158 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 932
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 385
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 252
- Paye procedures for CVA 242
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 238
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 185
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 181
- Pension Fixed Protection 179