Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 227 3
- Does anyone use quotation software? 235 4
- RTI penalties coming in from 6/10/14 76 2
- VAT on Imports 57 2
- Fees for Property Tax Return 376 8
- Corp Tax Refund 62 1
- How to cancel a partnership registration for self assessment 618 17
- PPR posers 194 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,528 466
- employment capital allowances 186 1
- Direct Debit - no receipts 343 6
- Use of home expenses Rent calculation 208 1
- Can't read my handwriting 391 9
- Annual PAYE schemes - Moneysoft 114 2
- Who is a Minister of Religion for Tax Purposes? 119 1
- corp tax software 806 11
- Audit partner? 130 3
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,566 71
- Overnight subsistence 136 2
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 669 13
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,352
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 500
- National Insurance 389
- Non Resident 309
- Hands on experience of Digita 232
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 206
- Employer's Helpline 181
- CIS paid under reg 9 169
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 140
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 135