Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Payroll question 70 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,668 106
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 452 8
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 231 5
- In pratice using part time accountants 146 1
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 153 3
- Overlap profit 217 4
- Goodwill On Incorporation 86 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 166 13
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 329 5
- micro entity balance sheet query 269 6
- Keeping disastrous accounts 192 1
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 620 19
- RTI Payroll ID 933 21
- VAT flat rate scheme 538 9
- Computations in HMRC accounts software 123 2
- EIS 3 Processing Delays at HMRC 182 2
- Unwarranted VAT assessments 148 1
- Virtual Assistants 137 1
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 542 6
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 833
- Pensions Regulator 473
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 437
- Sanzar 333
- How do you do it 327
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 283
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 200
- new investor structure 194
- Fit for purpose 191