Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Auto Enrolment 138 3
- Cut-off accounting question 147 7
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,081 41
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 73 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 209 8
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 88 2
- statutory maternity pay 92 3
- VAT & Offshore Companies 274 8
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 399 8
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 424 9
- Freelance/Employee 222 7
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,198 12
- Depreciation on purchase of software 290 4
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 210 1
- What would you do? 507 4
- Remove Extinguished Charge 220 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 616 19
- IRIS OpenSpace won't upload CT600 properly 304 8
- Liquidation caught by transactions in securities? 83 1
- Class of Shares 138 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 385
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 339
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 319
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 304
- Electric Car 256
- S222 Charge 223
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 198
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 164