Help with winding up a business
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am a relatively new sole accounting practitioner who normally takes on simple and straight forward accounts. However I have a new client and would really appreciate some advice:
The limited business is a new shop that started trading in December 2011. The old limited business is going through a voluntary wind-up process. The old business had debts to HMRC and a loan outstanding. It’s the usual scenario where ownership of one business has been taken on by a family member running the second business
The grocery store has continued to trade and a stock take took place between old/new trading days. The old business had liabilities to suppliers of about £25k, however the stock take revealed a value of only £22k. Suppliers did have the option to come and take there stock, but all opted to be paid by the new company.
My question is: Is this allowed? Can the Director of the old company be selective with her Liabilities and transfer supplier liabilities to the new company and allow others to be lost in the old company?
If this is allowable:
Where can I find further reading on this?
What is the right way to process the accounts between companies to maximise profits in the new company?
How will this affect VAT that is due next month?
Any help gratefully received
- Anybody still doing returns? 640 27
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 57 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 145 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 37 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 333 16
- Designated sole Residence 116 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 699 15
- Anyone know what this is? 182 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 872 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 473 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 250 9
- no utr 265 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,105 49
- Director drawings 598 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 281 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 80 1
- Capital Loss 113 3
- LLP formed in 2013 95 1
- Clothing 483 11
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 181 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 950
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 665
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 620
- Latest phishing scam 596
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 434
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 323
- Scratch Head 260
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 246
- Sabbatical payments 213
- Negligible Value Claim 194