Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Servicing AE fees 135 2
- VAT Receipts 234 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 72 2
- P800 problems again 60 1
- Company accounts for £350 930 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 386 12
- Flat Rate VAT 147 5
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,135 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 127 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 192 5
- Redundancy pay 275 7
- Software for Accounts layout 250 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 210 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 138 1
- How to report under-declaration on next VAT100? 127 1
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 183 4
- Mandatory Capitalisation 224 3
- Practice software 1,152 16
- A different accounts production software request 200 2
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 1,551 16
- FRS 101 Software 328
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 301
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 292
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 235
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 206
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 198
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 179