Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 297 7
- Where has Portia gone? 1,446 61
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 68 1
- Merging my businesses 56 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,659 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 509 16
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 99 4
- VAT on commercial property 102 3
- Rogue Accountant 2,990 49
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 226 4
- deceased creditor 159 5
- Corporate member of LLP 269 1
- Investment company 264 6
- Error or mistake in CT return 328 1
- Penalty on dormant CT600 prior to trading 208 1
- HMRC computer behind the times 364 3
- Sage & IRIS Payroll Employee ID. Problem Using Old Ee ID's? 96 1
- Transfer of stock 360 12
- Holiday entitlement 545 10
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 346 7
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 779
- RTI - duplicate employee record 528
- Pensions Regulator 443
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 401
- Sage Vat return box 2 305
- Sanzar 301
- Digital marketing focus group 282
- How do you do it 270
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 237
- Report old income 236