Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- General tax book with planning 148 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,206 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 284 11
- Gift of property & improvements 118 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 342 5
- VAT Invoice 137 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 805 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 129 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 218 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 185 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 153 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 452 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 375 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 257 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 186 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 165 4
- SA302's anyone?? 538 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,644 41
- Renting for military reasons 195 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 510
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 297
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- tax on apprenticeship income 173
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 173
- P11D benefit received by widow 149