Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 475 18
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 96 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 1,103 7
- Bereavment payment 84 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 273 4
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 344 2
- CT600 Computations - Company Tax Return help 1,294 14
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 146 2
- Companies House incorporation service 348 12
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 75 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 150 3
- VAT chargeable to conference attendees 193 6
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 203 1
- Long period of account for Corporation Tax 266 7
- Flat Rate VAT and EU sales (Non VAT) 143 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 152 3
- VAT, vans, sole traders and business use. 1,598 12
- Share Capital 132 2
- Trading income or not? 197 1
- Charge HMRC 424 3
- Xtuple 549
- Qtac payroll for bureau 376
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 317
- Industrial & Provident Societies 314
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 292
- CIS schemes 223
- Domain name sale and limited company 205
- Investment 187
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 186
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 178