Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Dress code 541 14
- Dividend 29 1
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 323 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,114 33
- ACCA practice certificates 96 2
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 220 5
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 183 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 117 1
- What would you do in this situation? 704 14
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 536 16
- Project being run jointly 225 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 329 4
- Companies House 625 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 398 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 748 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,467 25
- Help Required 443 10
- directors control and tax problems 342 5
- Fastest Software 818 13
- What's in a name ? 432 5
- CTA study material 720
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 442
- Employment related securities question 280
- AIM Stocks and IHT 257
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 240
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 220
- Expat pension contributions? 210
- Trust for Employee 208
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 192
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 125