Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 125 2
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 125 3
- Capital Gain? 514 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 219 5
- Sell business after leaving country 128 2
- How much to charge? 245 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 164 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 639 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 244 2
- break even point 594 18
- Simple consolidation question 119 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 393 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,002 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 406 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 207 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 289 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 177 4
- IHT Query 247 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 448 2
- BrightPay 700 22
- Possible Partnership? 467
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 443
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 430
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 234
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 230
- Clubs and Taxable Income 221
- New Fangled Penalties 220
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 214
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 187
- Loans to other companies 168