Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 152 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 189 3
- Xerocon 2016 1,223 35
- Mortgage Reference 538 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 244 7
- Insovent companies 883 19
- New Build 200 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,295 48
- BrightPay quirks 213 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 805 20
- Website Content 171 1
- Personal Tax 629 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 190 1
- USA Tax Query 308 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 440 5
- last minute request 655 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 360 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 395 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,740 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 988 6