Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Limited Companies Merger 195 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 118 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 286 10
- Why do I do this every year 164 4
- What sectors to target? 551 27
- Practice management 352 7
- IHT and cash gifts 228 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 469 13
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,548 42
- Capital allowances in first basis period 228 1
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 209 18
- eBay trading 215 4
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 252 10
- Self assesment online 902 10
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 1,115 46
- childcare 99 3
- Childcare voucher schemes 221 8
- Rent a room scheme query. 136 2
- PAYE Control Visit 206 2
- Repayment of maternity pay 206 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 921
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 639
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 592
- Latest phishing scam 572
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 403
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 303
- Scratch Head 226
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 221
- Sabbatical payments 190
- Negligible Value Claim 165