Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 118 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 121 1
- Instant CPD offer 283 4
- Cash basis 515 13
- Income from rent charged to business 125 2
- payroll software 367 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 440 5
- Statutory sick pay 308 4
- Dividend in specie 368 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 273 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 168 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 386 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,857 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 335 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 258 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 109 1
- Skandia using wrong address 575
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 307
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 307
- Employee rewards 289
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 256
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 187
- LLP in Construction Industry 155
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 131