Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 79 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,612 70
- Do I need a smartphone? 652 22
- Incorporated when they should not have 198 7
- Help with HMRC investigation 79 2
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 74 2
- Tax position re this lease? 347 8
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 316 5
- AWeb - download file 114 2
- pension paid by company? 316 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 730 17
- Late annual return 107 1
- Charity work 207 10
- Company Director In Prison 369 8
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 222 12
- HMRC Agents Line 127 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 175 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,684 60
- inheritance tax 569 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 164 5
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 672
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 499
- Cancelled 424
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 333
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 322
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 214
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 197