Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Should replies on AWEB show details of the qualifications 112 4
- Personal allowance 634 14
- New Fangled Penalties 1,099 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 118 1
- Does Members voluntary liquidation require change of year end 87 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 711 30
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 799 9
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 268 3
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 371 10
- VAT on employee loan 289 5
- Taking over from an on-line accounting firm. Any ideas? 948 18
- Charging VAT on a company loan ?. 135 2
- Accountants website 382 5
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 168 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 468 8
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 100 1
- Retrospective VAT Claim 116 1
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,411 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 224 5
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 176 6
- Moving away from CCH software 939
- QROP pension input amounts 431
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 375
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 346
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 313
- fraud 272
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 243
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 215
- Construction CIS LLP Company 195
- EPS and CIS deductions 188