Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 109 1
- HMRC Discovery powers 202 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 620 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 101 2
- Paying Son 403 15
- Employers NI allowance 311 3
- Which time limits apply? 374 4
- Client Paperwork Retention? 370 10
- Exclusion from VAT Registration 153 4
- Appeal against penalty- error in SA tax return 284 3
- Just checking re PSA 244 1
- Reimbursing director travel costs 325 4
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 1,498 7
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,531 19
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 333 2
- Friday Question 590 7
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 434 8
- Independent Examination work programme 165 2
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 551 9
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 317 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 494
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- CGT for NOn UK residents 263
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 254
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 246
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 232
- Apprenticeship Levy 228
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 220
- Capital Gains personal representatives 207
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 193