Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- any implications of this type of transaction 62 2
- Mem & Arts - Multiple Share Classes & Rights 22 1
- Does IR35 apply? 80 1
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 95 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,691 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 100 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 291 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,033 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 265 7
- Sage data 108 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 362 6
- Funding Circle experience 160 3
- Excel query 124 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,298 13
- Payment on account penalties 135 3
- Tax on free shares 148 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 209 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 129 1
- Audit 493 14
- CTA study material 805
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 498
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 461
- Employment related securities question 324
- AIM Stocks and IHT 312
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 284
- Expat pension contributions? 282
- Trust for Employee 257
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 234
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161