Hiding from HMRC and not paying tax - What is your advice?
I work in management accounts, so I could only answer this with a broad overview.
Someone recently asked me for my advice. Here is his situation:
Ran his own business as a sole trader for many years...didn't ever pay any VAT (and should have done) and didn't may much income tax. The HMRC caught up with him and sent him a huge bill which he initially paid on a quarterly basis, then stopped paying, sold his house and all other assets and lived on the cash for 2 years. He is now working as a sole trader again (different company name), putting everything through his partners bank, and not paying any income tax (doesn't turn over enough for VAT). He has basically 'disappeared' on paper and is hiding from HMRC.
He is now 8 years on from HMRC first finding out he owed them money. He thinks because it's over 6 years now that HMRC can no longer chase him for the initial money owed for VAT and income tax.
My advice to him was go see a qualified tax advisor, seek legal advice and start paying income tax now!!!
I'm just curious as to where he does go from here? I thought that there were no statute of limitation on tax owed, so there is no such thing as a '6 year rule? Am I right?
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 187 6
- Private residence relief with entrepreneur relief mix 260 3
- Weely paid employees 234 3
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 122 3
- Reregister for VAT 101 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 440 11
- Director's tax return 251 6
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 199 6
- Value pricing 675 23
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 72 2
- Wrong career 458 18
- Payroo Employer allowance query 131 1
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 271 7
- Laptop purchase 1,378 20
- PTP software disaster 261 2
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 223 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 98 2
- Tricky VAT question 175 1
- VT accounts licence key 267 5
- Splitting the tax year 111 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 793
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 548
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 413
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 292
- Free Tax Legislation? 263
- Director Loan account operation 243
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 238
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 236
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 229
- Paye procedures for CVA 159