Firstly, apologies for the groundhog day question and thank you to all who take the time to respond!
I am getting endless requests to do bookkeeping and payroll administration. Most of which has some lovely accounts preparation work tagged on so I'm reluctant to turn down, but I'm even more reluctant to do this work myself as I can earn significantly more doing the "fun stuff". I've been in this position before and I have hired a subcontractor (she was fairly hopeless) and then I hired a part time member of staff (she was a friend with no experience and it just didn't work out again).
Would I be better off turning these jobs down and accepting I'm no good at hiring and managing staff and save myself a whole heap of time, stress and money.
Or should I give it another bash, perhaps taking on a college student on a part time basis or a part time experienced bookkeeper?
I don't have aspirations of global domination, but I am a working parent with two young (albeit school age) children and so am always time pressured. Plus it would be great to have someone to make the coffee/do the filing/do the very basic data entry stuff.
Many thanks in advance
- What would you do in this situation? 465 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 114 3
- Help Required 261 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 214 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 379 14
- What's in a name ? 211 4
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 136 3
- ATED Penalties 253 1
- late second payment on account 144 2
- US royalties 69 2
- Project being run jointly 116 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 171 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 153 3
- Sole trader mix up 281 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 727 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 884 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 205 4
- Filing company accounts 131 1
- Accountancy work for Farmers 498 16
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 157 5
- CTA study material 696
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 421
- Employment related securities question 263
- AIM Stocks and IHT 243
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 195
- Trust for Employee 182
- Expat pension contributions? 179
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 151
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 141
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 114