Firstly, apologies for the groundhog day question and thank you to all who take the time to respond!
I am getting endless requests to do bookkeeping and payroll administration. Most of which has some lovely accounts preparation work tagged on so I'm reluctant to turn down, but I'm even more reluctant to do this work myself as I can earn significantly more doing the "fun stuff". I've been in this position before and I have hired a subcontractor (she was fairly hopeless) and then I hired a part time member of staff (she was a friend with no experience and it just didn't work out again).
Would I be better off turning these jobs down and accepting I'm no good at hiring and managing staff and save myself a whole heap of time, stress and money.
Or should I give it another bash, perhaps taking on a college student on a part time basis or a part time experienced bookkeeper?
I don't have aspirations of global domination, but I am a working parent with two young (albeit school age) children and so am always time pressured. Plus it would be great to have someone to make the coffee/do the filing/do the very basic data entry stuff.
Many thanks in advance
- The stupidity continues 213 5
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,348 19
- Limited company director - other earnings in the tax year 70 1
- Overlap relief 737 19
- What is IRIS World like? 330 8
- Pension contributions 343 10
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 96 4
- qualifying for 1/9th tax credit on foreign dividend 115 1
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 459 11
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 148 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 444 9
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 257 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 248 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 197 1
- Share transfer question 321 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 549 10
- New Employers Helpline 150 3
- Budget 2015 - take two 214 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 205 4
- VAT Query 211 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 433
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 426
- WIP Software 291
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 286
- No payroll scheme in place 222
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 222
- Software recommendations 208
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 202
- Is there anything wrong with this? 195
- Small Part Disposal of Property 175