Firstly, apologies for the groundhog day question and thank you to all who take the time to respond!
I am getting endless requests to do bookkeeping and payroll administration. Most of which has some lovely accounts preparation work tagged on so I'm reluctant to turn down, but I'm even more reluctant to do this work myself as I can earn significantly more doing the "fun stuff". I've been in this position before and I have hired a subcontractor (she was fairly hopeless) and then I hired a part time member of staff (she was a friend with no experience and it just didn't work out again).
Would I be better off turning these jobs down and accepting I'm no good at hiring and managing staff and save myself a whole heap of time, stress and money.
Or should I give it another bash, perhaps taking on a college student on a part time basis or a part time experienced bookkeeper?
I don't have aspirations of global domination, but I am a working parent with two young (albeit school age) children and so am always time pressured. Plus it would be great to have someone to make the coffee/do the filing/do the very basic data entry stuff.
Many thanks in advance
- Capital allowances on taxis 52 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 382 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 285 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 257 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 87 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,760 65
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 276 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 904 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 199 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 133 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 195 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 407 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 342 9
- Merging my businesses 163 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,731 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 168 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,057 49
- deceased creditor 222 5
- Corporate member of LLP 285 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 784
- RTI - duplicate employee record 545
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- Portia ... Where art thou 288
- How do you do it 282
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 261