HMRC abusing its powers?
I had a meeting with two potential clients today. They both came in for a meeting together but they are independent clients with the same accountants. Their story shocked me.
They are currently with an established (over 30 years) firm of accountants. This firm of accountants has been accused by HMRC wrong doing (I could not understand what this wrong doing was) for their 300 or so clients. This was not proven. The case went to court and resulted in favour of accountants. The battle between HMRC and the accountants is still going on.
HMRC has been communicating with the clients directly accusing the accountancy firm of this wrong doing. In addition, threating the clients to come forward if they have any undeclared tax as a result of being with this firm.
Both the clients I saw have decided to leave the firm, only because of this communication from HMRC. They no longer want to be associated with this firm.
Further, HMRC has now withdrawn the online filing facility for this agent. They need to file paper returns by 15/12/2011.
Has anyone heard of this? Are HMRC abusing their power here?
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 74 1
- LLP - Member leaving 173 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 714 21
- Year end 213 3
- tax credits 179 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 990 16
- Foreign income for self employed 156 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 279 9
- what time is it ? 163 2
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 290 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,105 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 232 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 592 21
- How would you account for warranty? 170 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 409 22
- Sweet Tooth 218 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 192 2
- trading or dormant 132 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 149 1
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 580 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 891
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 520
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 332
- How to format a stock book 314
- Tax efficient holding company structure 249
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 244
- Investment property company accounts template 227
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 193
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 172
- Charge out rates in London? 153