HMRC Agent Authorisation when somebody dies
A client died nearly two years ago, and a refund was due on the 2011 tax return submitted (and full bank details were provided on the tax return).
The refund wasn't made (this happens fairly regularly).
We then went onto the HMRC website and requested a repayment online, again giving all the necessary bank details. Again nothing has happened.
We have phoned up HMRC and the person on the phone was pretty stroppy, saying that our agent authorisation should have been withdrawn at the date of death, and that a new 64-8 needs to be submitted. Until that happens he flatly refused to discuss the matter.
Is this correct? It's the first time we have come across this (and not the first repayment we have dealt with after the death of a client).
What do we put on the new 64-8 - the client's name (Deceased) and have it signed by the executor (the widow) or what?
Thanks for advice.
- Any Scottish members out there? 8,096 304
- Mortgage deposit Gift 83 3
- Expenses of overseas employment 161 3
- Paying tax in Angola and uk? 110 2
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 605 12
- Statutory Residence Test - Travelling 134 1
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,104 15
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 347 3
- EC sales list 64 1
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 347 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 389 11
- ICPA-Scotland 179 2
- Shutting down losing Directors Loan 227 1
- Declined for business bank account 385 6
- Help with Mortgage Application? 542 7
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 226 10
- Standard 'email' template system 926 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 241 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 119 1
- Circular shareholding 279 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,125
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 369
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 301
- National Insurance 275
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 241
- Payments on account coded out?? 236
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 226
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 196
- Non Resident 193
- Franchise income and costs 181