I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Bench-marking software, any ideas? 20 1
- Not renewing AAT 620 8
- Self-assessment statistics 2,417 56
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,726 51
- New dividend taxation 339 2
- Co purchase printed materials from EU - VAT 112 1
- Company car v company allowance 219 1
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 426 9
- Company formation and bank account 367 9
- Next Move 647 18
- Owning overseas property 306 2
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 281 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 226 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 689 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 643 9
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 243 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 417 8
- OneNote is fantastic 580 11
- VAT Direct Debit 393 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 474 8
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 664
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 405
- Property letting & CAs 396
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 391
- 2015 tax year end 389
- FCA regulated company in a small group 344
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 313
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 238
- DTA tie-breaker issue 209
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 204