I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 251 5
- Early repayment of CIS deductions - sole trader 59 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,473 35
- Software to use 64 1
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 81 4
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 88 1
- Discretionary trust reporting 83 1
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 626 15
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 83 1
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 388 7
- Benchmark Scale Rates 60 1
- Rollover relief and private use 98 2
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 217 3
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 867 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,820 72
- SAGE con 352 7
- Filed CT600 using Taxcalc 120 2
- Which software for practice books? 564 20
- Related Parties Note 783 10
- Dazed & confused 408 5
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,059
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 565
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 376
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 283
- Charge out rates in London? 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 218
- Personal consumption by landlord 194
- Interest on Loan to a Company 181
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 161
- Agent fees to sell business 150