I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 377 18
- Employing a carer 171 2
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 20 1
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,141 496
- Non resident client -employed in the Cayman Islands 93 1
- "Please be advised that one or more Generic Notification Notices have been issued." 60 3
- Which profit figure to use 46 1
- rti 106 4
- Drop box Storage 342 5
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 44 1
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 152 2
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 242 7
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 512 15
- Fee Protection Insurance 1,068 44
- Partnership issues and acting for one partner 130 4
- RTI -Late registration -any penalties 128 1
- Another goodwill question ....... 151 1
- Can't read my handwriting 724 18
- Fees for Property Tax Return 595 21
- Sole trader &/or Limited company 99 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,377
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 526
- National Insurance 426
- Non Resident 323
- Hands on experience of Digita 248
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 234
- Employer's Helpline 189
- CIS paid under reg 9 189
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 154
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 153