I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 24 1
- Small hotel - food for personal use 169 3
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,624 59
- Xero Pain Points 221 12
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 83 1
- HMRC site down ? 72 3
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 53 1
- The importance of Grammar 825 22
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 110 5
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 124 2
- VAT - How hard is it? 338 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 138 4
- New starter - tax code 121 3
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 569 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 225 3
- Childcare 263 4
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 223 2
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 798 19
- New .accountant domain name extension 124 1
- VAT REGISTATIONS 207 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 359
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 296
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 281
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 279
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 269
- Electric Car 220
- S222 Charge 200
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 193
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 189
- Company Structure 170