I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Am I getting Soft?? 48 6
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 462 14
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 77 1
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,279 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,248 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 984 29
- You know its over 401 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 523 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 256 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 205 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 195 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 313 3
- Cocaine anyone? 552 8
- Late Registration for VAT 505 13
- EIS/SEIS 167 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 290 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 439 5
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 746 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 581 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 606 4
- Hive up 498
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 466
- corporate hierarchy 447
- Advice - 283
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 230
- WWOOFers 225
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 212
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 209
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 188
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 185