I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 110 4
- Unpaid Fee's 73 5
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 739 11
- Aquisition Value 45 2
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 62 2
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,211 11
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 45 1
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 147 4
- Limited Company trading status. 139 3
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 66 1
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 273 1
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 162 2
- Dividends 202 2
- How much to charge? 604 9
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 193 3
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 204 6
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 714 4
- cold file reviewer needed 114 1
- Auto Enrolment - Again I assume 1,389 14
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 162 2
- Possible Partnership? 500
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 476
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 454
- New Fangled Penalties 290
- Clubs and Taxable Income 251
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 250
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 240
- Loans to other companies 187
- Tasbook email configuration 176
- Accomodation and travel 168