I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- any implications of this type of transaction 26 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,675 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 93 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 268 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,026 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 259 7
- Sage data 100 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 419 9
- Limited company buying a car 357 6
- Funding Circle experience 142 3
- Excel query 108 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,287 13
- Payment on account penalties 117 3
- Tax on free shares 134 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 205 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 124 1
- Audit 488 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 125 3
- Buying a horse?? 428 12
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 194 2
- CTA study material 804
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 494
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 460
- Employment related securities question 321
- AIM Stocks and IHT 308
- Expat pension contributions? 281
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 278
- Trust for Employee 256
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 231
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 160