I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- "Audit Report" 32 1
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 120 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 456 13
- Coding Notice 220 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 237 6
- New business - journal entries 394 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 220 3
- Payroll software 640 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 256 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 390 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 725 18
- B2B vat in the EU 185 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 142 1
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 196 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 225 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 191 4
- LLP as member of LLP 134 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,827 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 501 7
- Vat 302 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 852
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 718
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 404
- Social investment tax relief 218
- Digita Hosted Software 212
- Call Centre Data Costs 200
- accounting for this transaction 186
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 171
- Travel costs and contractors 166
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 161