I think I've posted about this topic previously, but now it's really winding me up!
Basically I have a client who, for several years, has received employment income and army pension income, both including his personal allowance - which is obviously incorrect.
HMRC have noticed this and wrote to him saying he owes nearly £5k for 07/08, 08/09, 09/10 & 10/11.
I appealed after some very helpful posts on here under ESC A19 (after all, it's not his fault!) but they have written back and rejected the appeal based on the fact that they weren't aware of his army pension income until the end-of-year returns were submitted.
I find this quite strange as he's been receiving this since 2000 so surely they would have known before the 07/08 year?
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm in the process of appealing again - the only thing I don't want to do is open up a can of worms and have them realise he hasn't been taxed properly since 2000!
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 129 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 157 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 325 6
- CGT history of shares 168 3
- CGT on sale of let property 104 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 165 2
- how do i get UTR 129 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 81 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 230 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 397 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 118 1
- Your comments please 308 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 185 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 116 2
- EIS 194 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 121 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 113 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 118 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 722 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 200 1
- Moving away from CCH software 965
- QROP pension input amounts 449
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 393
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 378
- fraud 302
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 275
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 227
- EPS and CIS deductions 220
- Out of time or not? 205