HMRC being awkward
In January 2011 I submitted a tax return for a new client. He was due a refund of under £100. I requested it online a few times but it was never sent. I phoned HMRC and asked why he didn't get the refund. HMRC said they didn't know. I asked to speak to somebody who did know. I was told I couldn't speak to anybody who knew. The call monkey said they would send an email and somebody would phone me. I didn't get a phone call. I phone twice more with the same result.
Last month I submitted another tax return for the next year and now my client is due a refund of £500. I phoned HMRC and asked what the problem was. They said they didn't know. I asked to speak to somebody who did know. They said I couldn't but they could send an email. I explained that I'd been told this before. They said they couldn't do anything else. I asked to make a complaint and I was told I couldn't speak to complaints they could be told by email from the call monkey.
A couple of weeks later I phoned and I was told that I just had to wait. 4 days later - today - I phoned and asked what was happening. I was told that they are allowed 25 days to respond (that is WORKING days when I asked!). I asked what had been done about the refund(s). They said it is in the system. I said I wanted to know what had been done. I was told to wait until the 25 days are up. They didn't seem to care that it had been a year. They said I should have phoned more often. I explained that I am not going to waste my life waiting for HMRC to answer the phone and then not do anything. HMRC said that we were going round in circles and they are going to terminate the call. I said that it's HMRC that are going round in circles because I am asking a question but HMRC are not answering it.
My client says he can think of no reason why he shouldn't be paid. His NIC is up to date. He only is subject to income tax and NIC.
Should agents make a complaint as soon as they don't get an answer? Waiting for a phone call seems like it will just cause further delay.
I don't understand why the people who answer the phone don't have the information to answer the questions or are able to transfer the agent to somebody who does. It seems like more and more HMRC are simply trying to get away with not answering valid questions.
- what time is it ? 221 3
- VAT on disbursement 154 2
- Business Christmas Greetings 976 18
- tax credits 190 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,024 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 78 1
- LLP - Member leaving 182 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 728 21
- Year end 230 3
- Foreign income for self employed 165 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 293 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 303 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,132 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 241 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 607 21
- How would you account for warranty? 176 4
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 412 22
- Sweet Tooth 226 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 202 2
- trading or dormant 134 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 897
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 521
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 334
- How to format a stock book 315
- Tax efficient holding company structure 252
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 245
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 195
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 177
- Charge out rates in London? 153