HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 489 13
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 273 14
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 514 16
- can I claim a per diem 233 5
- EC VAT 191 7
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 130 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,359 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 235 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 230 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 56 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 269 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 524 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 819 19
- Flat rate vat error 297 6
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 147 3
- Linux Accounting Software 556 13
- RTI due -no broadband 144 1
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 99 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 116 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 903 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 820
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 219
- Investment property company accounts template 213
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177