HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Should I move back home away from my office? 400 9
- P60 or payslips? 14 1
- Property income in different capacities 57 1
- Scanners 112 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 152 5
- IHT dilemma 1,356 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 171 1
- IT advisory questions? 143 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 782 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 97 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 503 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 454 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 615 12
- More AE! 646 14
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 124 4
- PAYE 1,623 17
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 1,113 16
- Relevance of UK Residency 120 2
- VAT Tax Point - Overseas Purchase 119 3
- Invoice dispute 604 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,147
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 792
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 481
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 261
- Director phone costs 222
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 222
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 195
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 179
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 147