HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 678 5
- See you all on the other side 723 6
- 12Pay 483 2
- dividends 667 2
- R&D 337 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,201 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 451 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 435 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 388 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 560 5
- Seeking a tax case 661 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 521 4
- Companies house strike off 594 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 450 2
- Moving to the cloud 759 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 220 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 917 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 223 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,101 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 511 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 566
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 422
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 376
- IRIS and FRS 102 357
- Capitalising Finance Lease 332
- USA help 320
- Marginal rates of tax 318
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 315
- Class 2 NI 300
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 297