HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Land Registry 232 3
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 17 1
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 51 1
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 486 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 943 13
- Auto Enrolment 647 4
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 159 5
- Transferring rental property to limited company 371 12
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 791 19
- Company Number 10000000 316 4
- Advertising Tips? 261 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,504 29
- IR35 350 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 383 12
- Revenue phishing examples 194 1
- iris update 11.9.2 180 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 447 13
- 2015 tax year end 528 1
- Company Structure 288 8
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 2,351 25
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 730
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 431
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 371
- Costly Accounting Software contract 355
- Directors' advances and credits 282
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 249
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 232
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 209
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195