HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- G P life time allowance 40 1
- Audit rules 80 2
- New Business Registration 155 3
- Moving from Sage payroll to Iris Payroll 152 5
- Incorporation Fee - What's Non-deductible? 523 11
- SA302 49 2
- Can customer claim VAT on contractor cash purchases. 119 1
- Can anyone advise on the best VAT Scheme to change to? 73 2
- VAT REGISTRATION TRANSFER 39 2
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 161 6
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 295 9
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,245 38
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 47 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 660 42
- Capital allowances for estates in administration 95 1
- Bringing money to Uk 154 2
- Hotel accommodation tax deductible? 267 3
- VAT Inspection 171 3
- Management Buy Out - shares exchanged 348 23
- Faxpay in the 21st century 98 4
- Xtuple 486
- Qtac payroll for bureau 328
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 273
- Industrial & Provident Societies 267
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 210
- Mehjoo 209
- New strategic report 165
- Domain name sale and limited company 147
- South African Government Pension 144
- CIS schemes 139