HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,327 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 174 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 195 2
- "Audit Report" 94 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 490 13
- Coding Notice 235 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 256 6
- New business - journal entries 420 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 229 3
- Payroll software 656 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 285 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 403 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 740 18
- B2B vat in the EU 197 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 206 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 240 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 205 4
- LLP as member of LLP 146 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,855 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 526 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 883
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 724
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 417
- Social investment tax relief 223
- Digita Hosted Software 217
- Call Centre Data Costs 205
- accounting for this transaction 204
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 179
- Travel costs and contractors 178
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 176