HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Would this save hours of your time? 352 7
- Laptop purchase 1,346 20
- PTP software disaster 213 2
- Wrong career 413 17
- Producing graphical KPI's etc 149 4
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 196 2
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 85 2
- Director's tax return 187 3
- Tricky VAT question 123 1
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 95 2
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 224 6
- VT accounts licence key 230 5
- Weely paid employees 208 2
- Splitting the tax year 75 1
- FPS Submission 128 2
- Value pricing 635 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 200 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 124 1
- vat return 218 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 172 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 787
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 542
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 408
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 289
- Free Tax Legislation? 249
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 233
- Director Loan account operation 230
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 223
- Paye procedures for CVA 157