HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Classic cars investment 209 6
- BrightPay 565 16
- VAT silly question 2,373 56
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 1,065 10
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 119 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 227 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 243 6
- Federation Accounts 354 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 531 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 276 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 131 2
- Late reply from HMRC 248 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 283 6
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,662 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,424 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,792 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 504 11
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 220 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 234 8
- RTI - new employee 193 3
- Benchmarking 486
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 405
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 203
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 202
- Clubs and Taxable Income 184
- Income tax on foreign dividends 184
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 180