HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- What are options for non CA firm 1,957 36
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 186 3
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 200 14
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 103 1
- Invoice Help 230 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 161 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 232 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 225 3
- Sorry ignore me 895 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 575 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,258 12
- Errors in prior year accounts 802 20
- VAT & capitalising 88 1
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 351 5
- Free Shares ? 245 2
- Is this a scam? 567 7
- Rental property: expenses when up for sale and not let 298 7
- How do I calculate the VAT due (cash basis) on receipts which suffer a cis deduction? 281 6
- Purchase of freehold by flat management company 155 1
- Peer to Peer lending 875 9
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 624
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 531
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 284
- Cancelled 244
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 191
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 189
- Probiz 170
- What's the market like for temps? 165
- Married woman dies owning marital home 165