HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Voluntary Disclosure 118 2
- Director registration for SA question 433 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 129 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 267 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 490 22
- valuation of vehicles 393 16
- Business only use of company car 681 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 502 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 306 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 937 29
- New Company reviews please 534 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 302 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 214 2
- VAT with Russia 216 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 233 4
- Money Laundering Manual 302 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 245 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,114 29
- directors loan 355 8
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 375 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 294
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 237
- Any thoughts on Capium? 223
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 216
- auto enrolment 185
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 175
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 154
- How to account for investment in JV? 149
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 147