HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- 100% Xero practice 2,578 49
- capital gains on PPR 333 17
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,548 33
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 721 29
- Devolved HMRC? 69 1
- PAYE 250 5
- What accounting software is there for Irish Accounts? 206 2
- Working from home - time apportionment 180 1
- incorrect PAYE statements 247 3
- TMA 1970 - fixed penalties appeals 127 1
- Cloud based payroll sofware? 495 8
- Does anyone use quotation software? 146 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,117 452
- What is the best, tax efficient way to sell 40% shares in your start-up business for approx £1m 434 5
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 343 10
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 443 10
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 392 5
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 578 10
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 349 12
- Direct Debit - no receipts 317 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,326
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 488
- National Insurance 378
- Non Resident 302
- Franchise income and costs 267
- Hands on experience of Digita 221
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 198
- Employer's Helpline 170
- employment capital allowances 167
- CIS paid under reg 9 162