HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- The stupidity continues 1,785 81
- Taxable turnover for VAT registration 89 5
- CGT on transfer of property 181 13
- Transfer of property to director & shareholder 23 1
- Xero Training 320 2
- Do I need to make a P11D provision in Accs? 55 1
- Gift of asset between couple living as husband and wife 61 1
- 45p mileage - stupid question 159 2
- Two trades one individual - Vat registration? 361 4
- Cis refund for company 116 2
- Capital Event? 77 2
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,424 26
- Clearbooks - creating a HP Account 142 5
- How to claim subsistence for working away from home 253 5
- Withdrawing company car 166 2
- What is IRIS World like? 453 11
- looking for a practice consultant 267 3
- RE assets introduced and rent 135 2
- AML report needed? 229 7
- Bank request To verify Accounts 327 6
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 449
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 449
- WIP Software 313
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 296
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 249
- No payroll scheme in place 247
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 223
- Is there anything wrong with this? 218
- Small Part Disposal of Property 208
- Uncommercial property business 197