HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Using home as clients registered address 222 5
- VAT MOSS registration 90 1
- Anyone else still working this week? 464 15
- How much does the company pay 815 35
- Which tax returns can I submit? 154 4
- Cocaine anyone? 883 14
- HMRC property income enquiry 444 10
- Proof of identification 114 2
- When to provide S419 tax in the accounts 142 4
- Sole Trader change of accounting date 122 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 303 5
- Childcare vouchers 369 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 93 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 89 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 86 1
- two business from one premises 191 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 66 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 250 4
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 374 4
- Merry Christmas 149 2
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 509
- corporate hierarchy 479
- Advice - 329
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 278
- WWOOFers 267
- The booking.com con 250
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 250
- Cocaine anyone? 235
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 228
- UK State pension paid in NZ 178