HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- VAT - Recharge 67 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 340 4
- transitioning payroll 155 4
- Legal title not in the company name 171 9
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,555 59
- Should VAT be charged when land is transferred as part of a TOGC 151 3
- Deduction from Salary 197 5
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,742 30
- Car financed by employee 188 2
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 125 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 622 16
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 157 3
- Dividend payment date 2,193 37
- VAT online filing exemptions 166 2
- Employed (by own company) and Self Employed - Tax Efficiency 182 2
- One off meeting new client 1,430 13
- Sole-trader renting commmercial property from himself & spouse. 308 6
- Child tax credits 234 4
- Car leasing scheme 227 1
- 12 Pay Problems 195 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 360
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 305
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 267
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 225
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 223
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 199
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 169