HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 285 4
- Closing my business down 80 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 846 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 286 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 192 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 106 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 590 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,242 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,468 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 192 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 112 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 293 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 90 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,094 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 415 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 155 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 225 3
- FPS or EPS 172 2
- Continuity of Practice 224 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 146 2
- Moving away from CCH software 956
- QROP pension input amounts 442
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 385
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 359
- fraud 286
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 261
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 230
- Construction CIS LLP Company 214
- EPS and CIS deductions 202
- Out of time or not? 182