HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Any good members voluntary liquidators 29 2
- The new married allowance 102 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 665 10
- Career advice for ex HMRC Inspector 847 20
- Getting fees, getting harder? 1,707 32
- VAT by Direct Debit 102 8
- Er... 321 2
- Accountex flash mob 525 17
- Cash extraction pre-sale 200 5
- VAT claim on exempt supply 309 11
- Group structure - transfer of shares 127 5
- Child benefit 346 9
- £3750 earned in Dubai - where on the income tax return??? 132 3
- Tax on selling a sole trader business 313 10
- IR 35 224 5
- Share disposal - help please 112 1
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 348 11
- Final accounts - procedure 352 6
- NIC question 124 1
- sole trader to ltd company 280 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 657
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 410
- Pensions Regulator 380
- RTI - duplicate employee record 342
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 328
- SA penalty proposals 311
- Using the correct forms 303
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 297
- Sage Vat return box 2 207
- Digital marketing focus group 202