HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 682 19
- Marriage Allowance 169 3
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,047 12
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 337 4
- S455 and February year ends 221 7
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 380 9
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,238 32
- HMRC having technical difficulties 771 18
- Closing down loss-making company 402 5
- S.455 Tax again 265 3
- New Build 322 2
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 362 4
- Mortgage Reference 772 10
- RTI offline? 163 1
- Right To Manage Company 253 4
- Day allowance working in Qatar 153 1
- Giving shares away 318 6
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 615 5
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 263 5
- Where to post pension on sa100 203 4