HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 74 1
- Special dividends & CGT 170 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 111 1
- Networking 317 5
- Turnover on a tax return 459 10
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,206 33
- VAT refund 264 2
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 260 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 290 4
- Corrupt excel .XLSX file 118 1
- incorrect old p60 511 13
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 325 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 251 2
- IT Contractor 275 1
- Sage instant account codes 181 1
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 278 1
- Cashflow forecasting software 327 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,968 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 337 4
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 315 1