HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Freelance software consultant 313 5
- client can't/won't pay 250 11
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 63 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,122 14
- Window Comb Binder Cover 84 2
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 205 5
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 128 3
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 203 6
- losses carried forward 360 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 463 22
- Auto enrolment 1,617 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 207 8
- VT 344 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 696 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 149 2
- Ongoing trade? 239 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 293 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 897 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 151 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 734 19
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 778
- Copy Wanted 489
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 452
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 450
- Latest phishing scam 279
- Entrepreneurs' relief 264
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 260
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 243
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 230
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 226