HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 155 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 124 2
- practice planning 66 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,102 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 170 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 151 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,647 10
- Which address 1,070 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 598 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,508 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,218 44
- R&D tax claim 258 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 544 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 206 7
- Gift to employee 386 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 194 1
- Transfer of a business 131 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,167 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 420 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 127 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 487
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 321
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 271
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 262
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 166
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 128