HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 125 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 118 5
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 340 10
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 213 4
- Partner with an IVA 33 2
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 152 3
- Growing pains 312 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 173 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 134 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 503 13
- Breach of employment contract 150 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 398 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 769 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 101 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 837 13
- Residents Association Corp Tax 151 4
- ATT Annual Return Problems 74 1
- Dealing with VAT on invoices received after VAT return submitted 76 1
- Unfurnished properties allowable replacement expenditure 134 3
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 110 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 259
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 232
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 168
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 162