HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 342 9
- HELP...historic SSP query! 79 3
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 723 19
- US share sale - income or capital 56 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,359 12
- flat rate scheme 889 30
- Allocation of income from property 318 8
- Capital allowances on residential property? 129 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 225 2
- Before I call employers helpline 327 2
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 165 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 300 1
- CIS online 183 3
- Class IV NIC 243 3
- bookkeeping system 247 4
- Company van paid by director 144 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,592 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 263 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 182 3
- Private company division 153 1