HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Trade creditor journal 13 1
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 378 9
- How much of your work is admin? 636 6
- HMRC Distraint 73 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 132 2
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 215 3
- Running two businesses from the same premises 413 5
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 110 2
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,367 42
- Nominal Ledger 392 11
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 591 20
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 191 2
- Old CGT loss 217 3
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 204 3
- Paper tax return 167 4
- Start up allowance? 389 12
- Will I need to resign? 234 1
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 255 3
- AIA or IFA 460 7
- Surely not? 472 10