HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- SA316s 128 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 27 1
- Swiching tax 510 15
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 723 23
- Proposal to strike off...... 494 10
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 511 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 366 11
- Start-up cost recognition 93 1
- Lunches 194 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 381 8
- VAT on non-denominated postage 129 3
- Generic notification message 253 6
- Property Expenses 216 7
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 816 39
- Auto Enrolment (sorry) 131 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 502 13
- Accrued salary unpaid 257 4
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,199 18
- Basis periods 103 1
- P&L Treatment of property assets 117 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 600
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 591
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 386
- Pensions Regulator 351
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 290
- Using the correct forms 265
- SA penalty proposals 256
- RTI - duplicate employee record 253
- Accelerated payment notices 236
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 226