HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Does IR35 apply? 78 1
- Capital allowances or revenue is capital? 91 1
- any implications of this type of transaction 54 1
- How much did you pay for your website 1,687 28
- Sage 50 cost centre limitations 98 3
- What font do you prefer to use for correspondence? 288 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 1,032 13
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 264 7
- Sage data 106 1
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 422 9
- Limited company buying a car 362 6
- Funding Circle experience 157 3
- Excel query 122 2
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,298 13
- Payment on account penalties 132 3
- Tax on free shares 147 5
- Flat Rate Vat 14.5% and 5% reduced rate VAT 208 3
- Capital allowances on sale and puchase of business assets 128 1
- Audit 492 14
- PPR relief and half hectare rule 131 3
- CTA study material 805
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 498
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 461
- Employment related securities question 324
- AIM Stocks and IHT 311
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 283
- Expat pension contributions? 282
- Trust for Employee 257
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 234
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 161