HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,117 30
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,282 20
- Tax tribunal strike rates 69 1
- Profit split on buy-to let 236 4
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 855 21
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 105 1
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 246 1
- ATED-Related CGT returns 279 2
- Incorporation haulier 243 1
- Is this a scam? 1,112 19
- SDLT on Land Transfer to Connected Company and Averaging Relief 229 19
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 146 3
- Sage at it again? 99 1
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 115 1
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 322 5
- Are sheepdog winnings taxable? 790 7
- ESC A19? 329 1
- break even point 435 13
- Setting up an offshore company 222 3
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 123 2
- Overseas Sales 519
- Benchmarking 455
- Possible Partnership? 401
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 389
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 363
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 302
- Wednesday rant 277
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 186
- Which PayPal transactions can I ignore? 170
- Filing Corporation Tax Return for a company that only has investment income 164