HMRC can raid a practice just on whistle blowing?
I do not know if there any truth to the rumour below so I will only mention it in very general terms.
An accountant's office was raided recently by HMRC/Police for money laundering. The search of the premises resulted in a very large amount of cash being found. The accountant has been arrested and all the computers were taken away for further investigation. That is all I know so far.
This just worries me. The point on my mind is can this just happen on whistle blowing by the client or member of the public? There has to be some hard evidence for the raid to take place?
What would happen if a client whistle blows and says accountant X is doing something highly illegal with client affairs? What would be next step? Raid by HMRC/Police? This does not sound right.
Please put my mind at rest on this.
- Accountancy Career 323 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,696 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 85 1
- Accounts Software 149 5
- HMRC Agents Line 207 4
- calculation DTR restriction 88 1
- Company Director In Prison 458 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 80 1
- AWeb - download file 176 3
- Charity work 244 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 261 6
- Director Drawings 178 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 271 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 235 7
- Collection or business assets 116 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 274 8
- Tax position re this lease? 372 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 732 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 108 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,676 70
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 679
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 521
- Cancelled 428
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203