HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,324 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 167 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 183 2
- "Audit Report" 81 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 484 13
- Coding Notice 233 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 248 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 226 3
- Payroll software 654 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 277 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 737 18
- B2B vat in the EU 193 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 203 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 238 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 201 4
- LLP as member of LLP 142 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,848 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 523 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 874
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 722
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 197
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Travel costs and contractors 173
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 172