HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 204 10
- Standard 'email' template system 841 14
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 418 9
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,547 283
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,001 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 199 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 67 1
- Circular shareholding 202 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 177 6
- business card address 271 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 207 2
- Declined for business bank account 174 4
- Loan to a related company 72 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 634 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 323 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 247 8
- property rental income split 115 1
- Expenses of overseas employment 132 2
- UK RESIDENT IN RECEIPT OF USA PENSION 100 1
- Payroll provider 165 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,110
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 363
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 299
- National Insurance 268
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 238
- Payments on account coded out?? 226
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 219
- Non Resident 185
- Franchise income and costs 174
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 170