HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 980 18
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 159 3
- Not a good start no broadband 396 9
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,178 30
- Question regarding gym training 321 5
- Sage Starting Again As Records are in a mess 111 2
- CIS Deductions 220 1
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 116 2
- is this fraud? 626 11
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,343 27
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 410 8
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 634 10
- Property initial recognition 150 2
- P11D Dispensation 230 3
- CPD 129 1
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 432 7
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 157 1
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 196 4
- Directors Subsistence 404 3
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 219 2
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 574
- Cancelled 340
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 327
- Cancelled 280
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 248
- Probiz 229
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 170
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 170
- Car leasing scheme 163
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 150