HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Childcare vouchers 355 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 48 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 55 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 47 1
- two business from one premises 173 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 38 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 395 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 322 4
- Merry Christmas 104 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 77 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,079 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 414 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,427 9
- Using home as clients registered address 153 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 541 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 117 2
- How much does the company pay 721 30
- AIA 293 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 183 5
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 243
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 218
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177