HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Next Move 548 15
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 255 1
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 164 3
- Company formation and bank account 287 8
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 658 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,551 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 554 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 402 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 205 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 395 8
- OneNote is fantastic 504 11
- VAT Direct Debit 362 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 444 8
- Self Assessment Software 689 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 438 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,359 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 274 11
- Owning overseas property 255 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 369 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 285 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 659
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 402
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 401
- Property letting & CAs 391
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 383
- 2015 tax year end 383
- FCA regulated company in a small group 340
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 282
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230
- DTA tie-breaker issue 202