HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- UK Accountancy Franchise 245 5
- Newly Started Practice 674 13
- Who is this White Bull you lot keep referring to? 577 15
- Sage Payroll 138 2
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 185 3
- PAYROLL - SAGE v Microsoft Payroll Manager 135 1
- Clients 725 15
- Simplified auto enrolment? 199 2
- Tax and children 155 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 568 8
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 391 16
- Directors obligation to notify 122 1
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 273 2
- Don't HMRC collect CT anymore? 183 1
- Starting new accounting business 336 6
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 158 4
- error on companies house accounts 766 18
- RTI penalties 153 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 324 5
- US Sales Tax 117 1
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 483
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 446
- EPS and CIS deductions 304
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 292
- Construction CIS LLP Company 285
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 250
- SAGE winforecast 205
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 188
- Overdrawn director account 177