HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Tax Allowance on University Course 284 2
- MS Surface Pro 3 240 5
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 167 3
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 114 2
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 2,033 28
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 314 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 682 21
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 587 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 677 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,269 45
- practice planning 227 3
- Accounts Software 752 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 511 14
- Dividend Vouchers 406 5
- Gift to employee 437 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 192 3
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,148 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 219 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 178 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,703 10
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 501
- CTA study material 475
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 349
- Pre incorp expenses 339
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 282
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 275
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 221
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 178
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 152
- Employment related securities question 138