HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Is this acceptable advice for limited co 1,066 29
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 433 8
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 216 6
- VAT silly question 2,265 51
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 169 6
- Classic cars investment 155 4
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 251 3
- Cater Allen Commission 133 3
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 249 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 728 20
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 125 1
- VAT on 'educational' services - UK and overseas 78 1
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 125 1
- Sage 2010 data corruption 133 5
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 504 13
- Sage at it again? 372 5
- BrightPay 514 13
- Is this a scam? 1,609 27
- S455 463 21
- client issues 341 4
- Benchmarking 473
- Possible Partnership? 419
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 403
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 391
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 334
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 198
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 181
- Income tax on foreign dividends 175
- Clubs and Taxable Income 173
- Late reply from HMRC 170