HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Hobby Horse 784 8
- Non resident income. 449 20
- What sectors to target? 610 30
- FYAs on second-hand vans 257 7
- Rent a room scheme query. 190 3
- client can't/won't pay 1,937 41
- Self assesment online 995 11
- UKBA financial requirements for spouse visa 267 21
- Why do I do this every year 418 9
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 304 5
- closing limited company 188 2
- VAT when selling on Amazon 103 1
- HMRC filing meltdown? 524 14
- Childcare voucher schemes 256 9
- IHT and US resident 73 1
- Limited Companies Merger 212 6
- Incidental costs of Acquisition for inherited property/shares 142 1
- Practice management 386 7
- IHT and cash gifts 254 5
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 569 13
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 933
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 652
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 602
- Latest phishing scam 580
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 417
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 315
- Scratch Head 242
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 237
- Sabbatical payments 200
- Negligible Value Claim 176