HMRC claim tax return was late
One of our clients has just received a letter from HMRC which says:
"our records show that you filed your self assessment tax return late last year."
The letter then goes on to threaten penalties if the 2011/12 return is late.
This is all very well, but this client's 2010/11 tax return was submitted, online, on 11 January 2012. We received an e-mail from HMRC on 11 January 2012 confirming receipt. HMRC's online services shows that this client's 2011 tax return was received on 11 January 2012. The client was not charged any penalty for a late tax return.
All of this indicates that the tax return was not late. I've no idea why HMRC think the return was late. There's no address or phone number on the letter and, of course, it's not been signed. No doubt this will get blamed on some computer problem.
Doesn't look good for RTI does it?
Has anyone else had similar issues?
- Capital Allowance & AIA 58 1
- are we that stupid 868 19
- Foster Care 71 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 332 5
- letter of reference 144 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 76 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 284 3
- Flat Management Company 198 1
- Share structure questions - close company 177 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 165 4
- Income prior to company formation 338 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 724 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 316 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 127 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 527 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 364 1
- Company leaving VAT group 171 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,553 13
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 329
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 247
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 152
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 150
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 150
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148