HMRC Determination Notice
I have recently taken on a new Client whose previous accountants for some reason failed to file a tax return for the 2007 tax year, despite filing the years before and after! As a result of the failure the Client received a Determination from HMRC in the sum of £900.00 which has never been paid. He also received late filing penalties and interest continues to accrue on the outstanding balance.
Unfortunately, the Client did not seek my assistance until December 2011 and therefore, although I have filed the 2007 return on his behalf, HMRC have confirmed that the time limit for the 2007 self assessment expired on 5th April 2011 and thus the determination stands. The Penalties have now been reduced to nil due to the return now having been filed but interest continues to accrue on the determination amount.
I believe the Client may have an action against his previous accountants and have contacted them in this respect. In the meantime, HMRC have sent the debt to a debt collection service and the Client simply doesn't have the funds to pay. My concern is how HMRC have reached the figure of £900.00 for the tax due to 5th April 2007. In previous years the Client was always entitled to a refund of tax due to pension income being taxed at source and the Client having no other income on which tax was due (he ran a business as a sole trader until 2006/7 which had accumulated losses of approx £30,000). I have spoken with HMRC regarding the determination and they have advised that there are no guidelines on how to calculate the determination amount and it is simply up to the relevant advisor dealing with the matter to decide! I have also been advised that there can be no appeal now due to the length of time since the determination was made.
Is the Client's only course of action to pursue his previous accountants?
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,185 46
- Practical experience 861 16
- Xerocon 2016 826 13
- Personal Tax 217 3
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,872 41
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 244 2
- Mortgage Reference 189 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 171 3
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 436 9
- VAT 308 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 234 4
- What counts as income for the £100k 'salary' cap for free childcare from 2017? 205 1
- last minute request 309 3
- US tax form 1099 (misc?) 81 1
- Cash gift from India 504 13
- GP ACCOUNTS 87 1
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 477 16
- Stamp Duty based on Exchange or Completion Date 137 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 288 6
- Maternity and claining expenses 675 6