HMRC do themselves no favours
Following submission of a client's P35 for 2011/12, the client received a demand in July for PAYE/NICs underpaid for that year. There was no reconciliation provided with the demand and while I suspected an underpayment the figure I had in mind bore no relationship to HMRC's.
It's difficult to do a reconciliation when HMRC don't provide a statement of amounts received from their side, and they still don't make available online details of client PAYE/NICs payments, nor will they provide this information over the phone or accept phone requests for information of this kind to be posted out. So a written request to Cumbernauld for the information it had to be.
I received a reply (in respect of my Cumbrian client) from HMRC Debt Management Anglia (based in Derbyshire). The reply stated 'we expect your client to keep information about amounts due and payments made as part of your (sic) records. If you think their account is wrong because it doesn't show the right payments made, please write to me at the address above, with the following information so that I can review their records.
HMRC only wanted details of the tax due to be paid for 2011/12 (can't they get this off the P35 already submitted?) and a list of payments made for the year. No mention made of any possibility they might themselves have misaallocated a payment or two. They are God Almighty and don't make mistakes, of course!!
Lastly, the letter observed that my client had an underpayment for the year (a different amount, incidentally, to that demanded in their July letter) and that they may take action to collect the underpayment.
But if they are able to come up with a figure they allege is underpaid they must know how they have calculated it and be able to tell me. Or is this a state secret?
PAYE - Please Acknowledge Your Error
NIC - Not Inclined to Comply
Rant over :-)
- Accountant software 401 11
- Accounting jobs in the UK 134 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 229 1
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 136 2
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 195 4
- CIS gross status review 87 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 121 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 346 6
- Flat rate vat error 239 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 129 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 140 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 76 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 143 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 358 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 614 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 266 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 604 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 200 4
- Charge out rates in London? 212 2
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 182 3
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 750
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 481
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 295
- How to format a stock book 261
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 210
- Tax efficient holding company structure 200
- Investment property company accounts template 189
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 185
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 167
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 158