HMRC launches a consultation re ESC A19
I know I am a cynic when it comes to HMRC's initiatives but this one takes the biscuit.. It is clear from the revised wording that they are trying to shift the responsability of their mistakes unto the unwary employee/pensioner who has every right to believe that HMRC is correctly dealing with any information supplied by their employer(s) and/or pension providers...
recently we have had a number of appeal under ESC A19 rejected and HMRC's argument is "the taxpayer should have known that they had not paid enough tax at source"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the fact that they incorrectly calculated the car benefit for a change that incurred in the tax year and which had been reported correctly by the employer both on forms P46(car) and P11D is irrelevant as far as they are concerned. The Taxpayer should have been able to work it out for himself..
Their arrogance knows no bound and frankly it is about time that our institutes stopped sitting on their hands and truly represent their members by making HMRC and the government know that their attitude are unacceptable..
they have no time limits to back date assessments so why should the taxpayer be time barred from making a claim against their incompetence? All they have to do is send the P800T in February or March of the tax year following the end of the year when underpayment arose, compound that to the post delays (first class does not mean next day delivery anymore) and many taxpayers will find that the 5 April is upon them and that their tax codes have been adjusted and there is nothing they can do about it.
If they really want to stop these errors occuring they should make everyone file tax returns a they do in the US, France etc..
AND they should ensure that they provide the right training to HMRC's staff...
I know I am acynic I I
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 185 9
- JIEB Exams 127 1
- RTI 83 1
- Christmas party 95 1
- Am i Liable? 94 4
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 737 10
- Checking a contract 289 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 309 15
- Altered PAYE cheque 225 5
- deleting customers on Sage 50 155 7
- VAT on garage rent 321 14
- Value-shifting 62 1
- Pattern for CTA 206 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 448 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 80 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 222 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 239 5
- EBT 177 1
- Giving a seminar 528 28
- Joint Filing Help 108 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,207
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 607
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 405
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 313
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 192
- Alphabet shares 188
- Agent fees to sell business 187
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 181
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 173
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 162