HMRC Letter re VAT on Toasted Subway sandwiches
A client has received a letter from HMRC accusing them of not charging VAT on all of their toasted sandwiches. They came to this conclusion comparing average VAT rates vs my clients VAT submissions.
HMRC has asked the client to recalculate what the VAT should have been should he have charged the VAT correctly. The client hasn't said to me what the process is re the actual treatment of the VAT is in the business. I constantly warn my Subway clients that HMRC has been focusing on this.
What advice do you have for me and the client - do we go to HMRC with our tails between our legs or seek legal advice?
- Xerocon 2016 1,011 24
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,188 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 222 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 233 7
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 588 12
- Personal Tax 487 11
- USA Tax Query 161 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,660 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 944 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 282 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 598 18
- Corrupt Excel File 674 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 349 4
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,975 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 290 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 407 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 171 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 325 4
- last minute request 511 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,254 46