HMRC lost original paperwork
A new client of mine had his self assessment affairs investigated. Subsequently he has been asked to provide documentary evidence. HMRC have lost the paperwork he sent them which, unfortunately, was the original documentary evidence. He is now being harassed to pay a large sum of money for which no calculations have been provided as the officer investigating has since left HMRC and has left no records or his work has also been lost.
I believe my client to have submitted accurate returns and am concerned that his is being unfairly charged. HMRC are being extremely stubborn believe it or not.
Does anybody know of a way to resolve this?
- P11d query 270 5
- Rental expenses 63 1
- Intercompany Payroll Journals 140 5
- What are my legal responsibilities 358 14
- Business lending another business money (UK) 93 2
- Rental business through company without owning the property? 337 4
- No more tax returns... 1,543 13
- How much state pension will client lose out if drops salary 421 6
- Signed accounts for bank 302 7
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 480 10
- Landing clients 426 15
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,156 22
- Termination Payment 218 5
- dividend date - whose income is it? 226 3
- CRM / marketing 117 2
- Allocation of income from property 759 26
- Stand alone practice management software 1,886 28
- Opening a Quick books file 147 1
- 64-8 problems 525 8
- Guaranteed rents - which is the turnover? 351 10