HMRC lost original paperwork
A new client of mine had his self assessment affairs investigated. Subsequently he has been asked to provide documentary evidence. HMRC have lost the paperwork he sent them which, unfortunately, was the original documentary evidence. He is now being harassed to pay a large sum of money for which no calculations have been provided as the officer investigating has since left HMRC and has left no records or his work has also been lost.
I believe my client to have submitted accurate returns and am concerned that his is being unfairly charged. HMRC are being extremely stubborn believe it or not.
Does anybody know of a way to resolve this?
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 123 2
- New Build 159 1
- Mortgage Reference 491 6
- Rounding errors on CT600 157 5
- Insovent companies 856 18
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,290 48
- BrightPay quirks 164 2
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 789 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,176 31
- Website Content 100 1
- Personal Tax 616 12
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 115 1
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 151 1
- USA Tax Query 284 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 429 5
- last minute request 639 6
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 338 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 372 7
- Disengagement Help! 1,725 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 984 6