HMRC need to get their house in order
I thought the most frustrating thing about the Panorama programme this week was HMRC's refusal to appear and my take on this is that they just do not care.
Last year I wrote to David Gauke and George expressing my frustration with HMRC and the fact that it was a false economy getting rid of trained staff and replacing them with call centre staff who know very little about tax (not their fault). I provided them with many (no named) examples of situations where taxpayers had submitted employment expenses claims for exam fees, courses, new computer etc etc. These claims had merely been processed and incorrect refunds issued to the taxpayer. I made the point that in the few examples I had given, the refunds amounted to several £000's and they could no doubt multiply this by however many. The point being that they need to get their own house in order and collect the right amount of tax.
I eventually got a reply saying thanks for my letter and HMRC will aim to do better - 1 paragraph!! In order words we do not care.
Over the last few months I have also encountered several occassions when clients have historical earnings over £150k and have been given the tax-free personal allowance in their 12/13 PAYE coding notices. This is despite the PA not being in the 11/12 codes and the 10/11 tax returns showing income >£150k. When I expressed my concerns as to how this could possibly arise - oh it must be a computer error!! Also there are not coding notices on the agent gateway half the time so there are clearly computer issues.
Whilst the tax will be paid by via the 12/13 tax return, my point is this will not be until Jan 14 so UK Plc cash flow is suffering and we are borrowing the money to fund this. Also what about when taxpayers leave the UK in this situation. The tax will never been seen again.
My view of HMRC is that they do not care a jot. From the points raised above to the billions of pounds written off following incorrect tax credit awards. They need to get their own house in order. they would not need all these headline grabbibg 'TASK FORCEs' if they got the basics right.
Yes a bit of a rant but maybe if we get the basics right the coffers might be a little fuller.
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 120 4
- PRR 449 15
- Director selling assets to the company that were given to her 37 1
- Sage Line50 Journal Entry Help! 225 14
- Working from home - time apportionment 289 3
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 204 2
- cross border vat 109 2
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,900 488
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 764 17
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 268 12
- Can't read my handwriting 631 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,649 74
- Employing a carer 122 1
- Fees for Property Tax Return 528 16
- Corp Tax Refund 169 2
- Email hacker for hire ... 396 8
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 275 8
- IFRS and UK GAAP Adjustment Jrnls 83 2
- Donaldson V HMRC 231 1
- Audit partner? 274 6
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,371
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 518
- National Insurance 410
- Non Resident 319
- Hands on experience of Digita 244
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 224
- Employer's Helpline 186
- CIS paid under reg 9 184
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 151
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 145