HMRC need to get their house in order
I thought the most frustrating thing about the Panorama programme this week was HMRC's refusal to appear and my take on this is that they just do not care.
Last year I wrote to David Gauke and George expressing my frustration with HMRC and the fact that it was a false economy getting rid of trained staff and replacing them with call centre staff who know very little about tax (not their fault). I provided them with many (no named) examples of situations where taxpayers had submitted employment expenses claims for exam fees, courses, new computer etc etc. These claims had merely been processed and incorrect refunds issued to the taxpayer. I made the point that in the few examples I had given, the refunds amounted to several £000's and they could no doubt multiply this by however many. The point being that they need to get their own house in order and collect the right amount of tax.
I eventually got a reply saying thanks for my letter and HMRC will aim to do better - 1 paragraph!! In order words we do not care.
Over the last few months I have also encountered several occassions when clients have historical earnings over £150k and have been given the tax-free personal allowance in their 12/13 PAYE coding notices. This is despite the PA not being in the 11/12 codes and the 10/11 tax returns showing income >£150k. When I expressed my concerns as to how this could possibly arise - oh it must be a computer error!! Also there are not coding notices on the agent gateway half the time so there are clearly computer issues.
Whilst the tax will be paid by via the 12/13 tax return, my point is this will not be until Jan 14 so UK Plc cash flow is suffering and we are borrowing the money to fund this. Also what about when taxpayers leave the UK in this situation. The tax will never been seen again.
My view of HMRC is that they do not care a jot. From the points raised above to the billions of pounds written off following incorrect tax credit awards. They need to get their own house in order. they would not need all these headline grabbibg 'TASK FORCEs' if they got the basics right.
Yes a bit of a rant but maybe if we get the basics right the coffers might be a little fuller.
- Anybody still doing returns? 729 31
- Clothing 517 13
- Change to PAYE TAX CODE 145 5
- Capital allowances on transfer of business 165 7
- Parent and subsidiary... 88 2
- Capital Gains PPR and allocation of costs 346 16
- Designated sole Residence 146 2
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 721 15
- Anyone know what this is? 244 6
- HMRC filing meltdown? 897 27
- 'My colleague fills in his own Self Assessment" and he/she claims,x,y and z" 513 7
- Selling Capital Allowences from Self Employed to Ltd Buisness 266 9
- no utr 293 8
- client can't/won't pay 2,124 49
- Director drawings 608 32
- Tax Returns for non residents 295 2
- Investment properties/freehold land 91 1
- Capital Loss 134 3
- LLP formed in 2013 104 1
- File Abbreviated LLP accounts online? 206 7
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 954
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 676
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 622
- Latest phishing scam 598
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 437
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 325
- Scratch Head 265
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 255
- Sabbatical payments 218
- Negligible Value Claim 197