HMRC need to get their house in order
I thought the most frustrating thing about the Panorama programme this week was HMRC's refusal to appear and my take on this is that they just do not care.
Last year I wrote to David Gauke and George expressing my frustration with HMRC and the fact that it was a false economy getting rid of trained staff and replacing them with call centre staff who know very little about tax (not their fault). I provided them with many (no named) examples of situations where taxpayers had submitted employment expenses claims for exam fees, courses, new computer etc etc. These claims had merely been processed and incorrect refunds issued to the taxpayer. I made the point that in the few examples I had given, the refunds amounted to several £000's and they could no doubt multiply this by however many. The point being that they need to get their own house in order and collect the right amount of tax.
I eventually got a reply saying thanks for my letter and HMRC will aim to do better - 1 paragraph!! In order words we do not care.
Over the last few months I have also encountered several occassions when clients have historical earnings over £150k and have been given the tax-free personal allowance in their 12/13 PAYE coding notices. This is despite the PA not being in the 11/12 codes and the 10/11 tax returns showing income >£150k. When I expressed my concerns as to how this could possibly arise - oh it must be a computer error!! Also there are not coding notices on the agent gateway half the time so there are clearly computer issues.
Whilst the tax will be paid by via the 12/13 tax return, my point is this will not be until Jan 14 so UK Plc cash flow is suffering and we are borrowing the money to fund this. Also what about when taxpayers leave the UK in this situation. The tax will never been seen again.
My view of HMRC is that they do not care a jot. From the points raised above to the billions of pounds written off following incorrect tax credit awards. They need to get their own house in order. they would not need all these headline grabbibg 'TASK FORCEs' if they got the basics right.
Yes a bit of a rant but maybe if we get the basics right the coffers might be a little fuller.
- Recharge for private use of a company car 617 18
- Community awards 2014 - first category 226 8
- format cell to exclude decimals 349 18
- Payment plans for clients 301 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 136 4
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 493 14
- Employee steeling client data 159 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,380 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 197 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 139 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 95 1
- CT600 286 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 235 4
- signature required 926 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 220 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 353 4
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 195 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 98 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 165 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 113 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,314
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 862
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 562
- Credit where credit's due....... 344
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 264
- TheTax Donut 240
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 196
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 189
- Director's business mileage 160
- Sole trader CPD 150