HMRC need to get their house in order
I thought the most frustrating thing about the Panorama programme this week was HMRC's refusal to appear and my take on this is that they just do not care.
Last year I wrote to David Gauke and George expressing my frustration with HMRC and the fact that it was a false economy getting rid of trained staff and replacing them with call centre staff who know very little about tax (not their fault). I provided them with many (no named) examples of situations where taxpayers had submitted employment expenses claims for exam fees, courses, new computer etc etc. These claims had merely been processed and incorrect refunds issued to the taxpayer. I made the point that in the few examples I had given, the refunds amounted to several £000's and they could no doubt multiply this by however many. The point being that they need to get their own house in order and collect the right amount of tax.
I eventually got a reply saying thanks for my letter and HMRC will aim to do better - 1 paragraph!! In order words we do not care.
Over the last few months I have also encountered several occassions when clients have historical earnings over £150k and have been given the tax-free personal allowance in their 12/13 PAYE coding notices. This is despite the PA not being in the 11/12 codes and the 10/11 tax returns showing income >£150k. When I expressed my concerns as to how this could possibly arise - oh it must be a computer error!! Also there are not coding notices on the agent gateway half the time so there are clearly computer issues.
Whilst the tax will be paid by via the 12/13 tax return, my point is this will not be until Jan 14 so UK Plc cash flow is suffering and we are borrowing the money to fund this. Also what about when taxpayers leave the UK in this situation. The tax will never been seen again.
My view of HMRC is that they do not care a jot. From the points raised above to the billions of pounds written off following incorrect tax credit awards. They need to get their own house in order. they would not need all these headline grabbibg 'TASK FORCEs' if they got the basics right.
Yes a bit of a rant but maybe if we get the basics right the coffers might be a little fuller.
- Tax Return Deadlines 198 4
- Year end 109 2
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 543 21
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 201 7
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 213 7
- How would you account for warranty? 131 4
- LLP - Member leaving 109 5
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 388 22
- Sweet Tooth 157 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,029 13
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 167 2
- trading or dormant 106 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 102 1
- tax credits 126 5
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 563 11
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 264 3
- Benefit In Kind Accommodation 112 1
- Foreign income for self employed 129 1
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 643 18
- Sage help...written off bad debt, done year end now bad payer wants to start to pay 91 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 867
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 515
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 328
- How to format a stock book 306
- Tax efficient holding company structure 243
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 237
- Investment property company accounts template 224
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 218
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 189
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 161