HMRC need to get their house in order
I thought the most frustrating thing about the Panorama programme this week was HMRC's refusal to appear and my take on this is that they just do not care.
Last year I wrote to David Gauke and George expressing my frustration with HMRC and the fact that it was a false economy getting rid of trained staff and replacing them with call centre staff who know very little about tax (not their fault). I provided them with many (no named) examples of situations where taxpayers had submitted employment expenses claims for exam fees, courses, new computer etc etc. These claims had merely been processed and incorrect refunds issued to the taxpayer. I made the point that in the few examples I had given, the refunds amounted to several £000's and they could no doubt multiply this by however many. The point being that they need to get their own house in order and collect the right amount of tax.
I eventually got a reply saying thanks for my letter and HMRC will aim to do better - 1 paragraph!! In order words we do not care.
Over the last few months I have also encountered several occassions when clients have historical earnings over £150k and have been given the tax-free personal allowance in their 12/13 PAYE coding notices. This is despite the PA not being in the 11/12 codes and the 10/11 tax returns showing income >£150k. When I expressed my concerns as to how this could possibly arise - oh it must be a computer error!! Also there are not coding notices on the agent gateway half the time so there are clearly computer issues.
Whilst the tax will be paid by via the 12/13 tax return, my point is this will not be until Jan 14 so UK Plc cash flow is suffering and we are borrowing the money to fund this. Also what about when taxpayers leave the UK in this situation. The tax will never been seen again.
My view of HMRC is that they do not care a jot. From the points raised above to the billions of pounds written off following incorrect tax credit awards. They need to get their own house in order. they would not need all these headline grabbibg 'TASK FORCEs' if they got the basics right.
Yes a bit of a rant but maybe if we get the basics right the coffers might be a little fuller.
- Care Home - Job Price 269 5
- Fee headache 437 4
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 215 6
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 227 4
- India Capital Gain 119 1
- Dormant payroll 730 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 105 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 291 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,492 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 115 1
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 521 11
- This feels wrong.... 1,569 21
- Overlap relief 388 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 201 2
- To correct incorrect NBV in previous year accounts 285 10
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 199 3
- P11D Rejection 274 7
- Directors loans 273 2
- Entrepreneurs Relief:: share disposals after leaving the company 271 5
- Has anyone else tried Iris paperless working papers for audit exempt companies 309 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 504
- Theatre Tax Relief 413
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 324
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 306
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 284
- Perkbox 231
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 224
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 219
- Document Management Systems 193
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 191