HMRC need to get their house in order
I thought the most frustrating thing about the Panorama programme this week was HMRC's refusal to appear and my take on this is that they just do not care.
Last year I wrote to David Gauke and George expressing my frustration with HMRC and the fact that it was a false economy getting rid of trained staff and replacing them with call centre staff who know very little about tax (not their fault). I provided them with many (no named) examples of situations where taxpayers had submitted employment expenses claims for exam fees, courses, new computer etc etc. These claims had merely been processed and incorrect refunds issued to the taxpayer. I made the point that in the few examples I had given, the refunds amounted to several £000's and they could no doubt multiply this by however many. The point being that they need to get their own house in order and collect the right amount of tax.
I eventually got a reply saying thanks for my letter and HMRC will aim to do better - 1 paragraph!! In order words we do not care.
Over the last few months I have also encountered several occassions when clients have historical earnings over £150k and have been given the tax-free personal allowance in their 12/13 PAYE coding notices. This is despite the PA not being in the 11/12 codes and the 10/11 tax returns showing income >£150k. When I expressed my concerns as to how this could possibly arise - oh it must be a computer error!! Also there are not coding notices on the agent gateway half the time so there are clearly computer issues.
Whilst the tax will be paid by via the 12/13 tax return, my point is this will not be until Jan 14 so UK Plc cash flow is suffering and we are borrowing the money to fund this. Also what about when taxpayers leave the UK in this situation. The tax will never been seen again.
My view of HMRC is that they do not care a jot. From the points raised above to the billions of pounds written off following incorrect tax credit awards. They need to get their own house in order. they would not need all these headline grabbibg 'TASK FORCEs' if they got the basics right.
Yes a bit of a rant but maybe if we get the basics right the coffers might be a little fuller.
- husband and wife dividends 378 11
- Value pricing 2,643 102
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 127 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 290 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 64 2
- LLP members share of profits 552 31
- VAT Registration 304 4
- VAT Option to tax 414 13
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 140 1
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 185 5
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 261 4
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,168 26
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,189 18
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 105 2
- Has anyone knowledge of Creditserve 68 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 1,992 15
- Entrepreneurs Relief 162 4
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 96 2
- Business travel apps 155 3
- How often can you change VAT scheme in a year? 100 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 901
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 633
- Free Tax Legislation? 391
- Director Loan account operation 391
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 313
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 311
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 176