HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Capital Allowance & AIA 58 1
- are we that stupid 866 19
- Foster Care 69 1
- Spread Betting and Forex Trading 332 5
- letter of reference 143 1
- Flexible report structure in cloud accounting 76 1
- Self Assessment penalties again 284 3
- Flat Management Company 198 1
- Share structure questions - close company 176 2
- Roll old capital gain into current one or declare separately? 165 4
- Income prior to company formation 338 9
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 724 12
- Inexpensive CRM for small accountancy practice? 316 5
- Forbes Computer Systems - Practice Management (CRM) 127 1
- Can I sell my own equipment to my business? 527 5
- Practice software 1,420 20
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 364 1
- Company leaving VAT group 171 4
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 611 18
- Staff training 1,553 13
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 329
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 287
- French ConnectionUK 267
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 247
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 216
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 214
- Tax surcharge appeal - where to send ? 152
- CentreCRM - anybody using it? 150
- E-mailing customer invoices in VT Transaction+ 150
- Agricultural Flat Rate Scheme 148