HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 722 30
- Partnership UTRs 44 4
- Transfer of shares 452 17
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 79 2
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 57 2
- Rights of Alphabet shares 214 7
- Home as office costs - new rules wef April 2013 86 1
- Where to advertise for staff 94 3
- Purchase of ltd company 133 4
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 142 2
- HMRC Tax debt 117 1
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 347 8
- Business Bank account 149 4
- Telephone call from "Xero" 201 3
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 170 3
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 387 3
- NIC £2000 Allowance - Care Support Worker 207 4
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 119 2
- P9D or P11D 900 8
- P35 and Service Company questions 247 6
- Xtuple 557
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 325
- Industrial & Provident Societies 315
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 311
- CIS schemes 230
- Domain name sale and limited company 209
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 194
- Investment 192
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 188