HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 164 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 414 13
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 185 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,419 423
- PRR 42 1
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 26 1
- References for clients 126 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 997 49
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 101 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 43 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 301 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 78 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 277 1
- corp tax software 295 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 194 3
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 562 24
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 350 16
- Is this fraud? 561 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 99 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 285 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,291
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 458
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Franchise income and costs 247
- Hands on experience of Digita 206
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 162
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 147
- CIS paid under reg 9 133