HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 481 6
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 64 2
- Soil Survey Required Mortgage 179 6
- What does it mean?? 130 2
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 42 2
- Donations/grants by a CIC 163 1
- VAT Registration 378 18
- another ir35!!!! 930 4
- Offsetting CIS tax suffered against CT 48 1
- Gifting shares 223 4
- Holding companies 93 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 635 5
- Childminding & Wear & Tear Allowance 58 1
- Notes to statutory accounts 174 9
- VAT on motor expenses 841 30
- Two clients (married to each other) disappeared from client list 157 4
- A question about share structure 163 2
- VAT & Landlords 97 2
- Client died family to pay redundancy 196 2
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 334 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,522
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 838
- International interest certificate 455
- NOVA 313
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 197
- Bonus Bonds 197
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 197
- Management expenses for investment company 188
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 173
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 165