HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Disbursement of recharge 391 3
- When to tick the estimated figures on ct600 63 1
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 312 9
- Mortgage Reference 916 16
- Payroll manager and the cloud 314 1
- CIMA CBA or AAT 118 4
- Rental of property in New Zealand 179 1
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 154 1
- RTI offline? 621 2
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 189 1
- CIS and Xero 280 1
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 275 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 199 2
- property capital gains 415 4
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 171 2
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 961 9
- Tips on meals 574 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,358 15
- S.455 Tax again 457 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 259 3