HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 80 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 86 2
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 378 5
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 399 10
- Repayment of Share Capital 65 1
- Self employed care worker 522 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 204 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 202 1
- Auto enrolment 438 8
- Audacity 942 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 389 7
- Late registration for MOSS 246 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 271 5
- Client right to working papers 376 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 549 6
- Professional Clearance 1,066 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 285 5
- Illegal share transfer 461 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 179 2
- Company Strike off 1,852 30
- NHS finance professionals 535
- VAL231 408
- Mother and son property ownership 381
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 360
- Foreign Pension Contribution 332
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 307
- vat gross profit percentage margins 286
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 285
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 259
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 226