HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Settlement discount 194 5
- IT advisory questions? 290 8
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,551 21
- experian and credit agencies 74 1
- Homing sandwiches 550 13
- Limited company to community interest company 47 1
- How can I deal with an unethical accountant? 438 10
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 209 5
- Error in audited accounts 226 3
- CIS software 129 3
- Pratice Management Software 209 3
- Use of home query 181 2
- signature required 591 22
- Vat registration exception 215 3
- CT600 158 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 220 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 532 9
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 190 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 158 2
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 248 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,261
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 835
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 530
- Digita Hosted Software 347
- Credit where credit's due....... 322
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 248
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 206
- TheTax Donut 191
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 169
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 167