HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- I do not love you 41 1
- Stamp Duty 323 5
- Love is in the air 676 8
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 729 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 839 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 374 5
- Paying Son 790 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 402 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 283 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,070 47
- Setting up a practice 613 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 596 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 544 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 466 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 245 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,855 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 440 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 607 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 599 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 449 4
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 298
- Foreign domicile status 298
- CGT for NOn UK residents 285
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 282
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 259
- Apprenticeship Levy 246
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 243
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 234
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 230