HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Flat rate vat error 219 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 80 5
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 131 2
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 44 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 119 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 345 8
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 153 2
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 82 1
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 590 17
- Dispensation pointless ? 254 4
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 596 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 193 4
- Charge out rates in London? 195 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 101 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 157 3
- pre letting expenses 151 2
- Expat working back in UK 104 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 97 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 414 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 280 6
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 744
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 478
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 294
- How to format a stock book 254
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 213
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 208
- Tax efficient holding company structure 195
- Investment property company accounts template 186
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 181
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163