HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 131 2
- SA302's anyone?? 267 10
- Tax status of prizes 43 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,348 38
- RTI error - two of the same employer - what to do 289 6
- clg 82 2
- VAT errors 160 4
- Professional Clearance 457 15
- CIS Deductions 254 7
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,246 15
- Auto enrolment 1,323 14
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 102 2
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 218 6
- do i pay vat when buying a business 407 22
- Loss Relief 194 3
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 640 19
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 283 3
- Property Expenses - Allowable 309 4
- Introduction of Goodwill 890 15
- VAT & Landlords 272 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,600
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 887
- International interest certificate 496
- NOVA 359
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 265
- Bonus Bonds 250
- Management expenses for investment company 250
- Help with tax codes on Sage 194
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 161
- Clogged Losses 154