HMRC policy on debt
I would appreciate thoughts on how HMRC may approach the following?
new client walks in off the street. hasn't filed tax returns for 5 year.
he is not vet registered, although he should have been from 2006.
I estimate the VAT arrears are £300k, plus interest plus penalties.
he only has £75k of cash with no other assets.
his income tax position is reasnbaly up to date - he had been paying £5,000 lump sum every now and again which has helped.
We advised that we have an obligation to inform HMRC of the late vat registration and he accepts this.
he does want to do the correct thing. i think he has had some personal issues during the past few years, hence the position he now finds himself in.
he would like to pay what is owed but realistically this might not be possible.
his turnover is £300k pa and his trading profits are c£70k per annum. his business is arranging private tutoring (not tutoring personally).
any thoughts how you think HMRC will react when he comes clean.
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 44 3
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 59 1
- Who can I refer leads to? 227 6
- Companies House 275 4
- RTI - EPS - ??? 62 2
- Contractor/ Ltd Co/with pension 93 2
- Minutes & Dividend Vouchers 314 9
- Non-reporting of BIK - income tax liability 94 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 202 6
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 660 8
- Can a director pay for their childs tuition through the company 643 14
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 125 1
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 657 7
- Can a sole trader carry back losses to reclaim some tax paid from previous years? 470 5
- SA tax assessments 164 2
- Director self assessment 400 16
- Sage Import Data 173 4
- Late payroll submission on sage 235 2
- Dividend Vouchers 277 4
- Engagement letter 201 4
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 425
- CTA study material 390
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 287
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 266
- Pre incorp expenses 239
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 216
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 208
- Slight twist on employment related securities 194
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 141
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 138