HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- How do I know if I have to apply a reverse charge mechanism 68 3
- SA302's - What's the deal? 311 4
- tax credits 208 4
- Thinning income 309 2
- Past rental expenses 73 1
- Amending 13-14 sole trader return to reflect increased profit in 14-15 211 3
- What do do about VAT? 517 15
- Buying a company for £2000 from owner how it works? 240 5
- Not a question but made my day 1,116 22
- Directors, service companies and national minimum wage (NMW) - Profit extraction 336 10
- I forgiven loan an Output? 109 1
- Vat Exemption moving to a partnership 183 2
- Allowable for Corporation Tax? 190 4
- Audacity 1,314 22
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 690 8
- partnership first tax return 137 1
- Payroll got out of synch 375 11
- Charitable incorporated organisation 95 1
- Claiming the expenses of Scooby 294 3
- Seeking advice: Freehold Pub Lease 303 9
- NHS finance professionals 591
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 389
- Foreign Pension Contribution 362
- vat gross profit percentage margins 333
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 323
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 303
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 271
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 222
- IFA income recognition & reporting 198
- Incorporating doctors 191