HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Wrong tax code 107 5
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,027 31
- Am I getting Soft?? 176 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 619 11
- Deferred Tax 450 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 199 1
- You know its over 460 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 237 1
- Benefit in Kind 207 5
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 132 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 216 3
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,259 14
- Cocaine anyone? 594 10
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 132 2
- Dutch and Germany VAT 177 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 298 2
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 485 15
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,301 8
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 534 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 268 13
- Hive up 504
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 472
- corporate hierarchy 448
- Advice - 286
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 232
- WWOOFers 227
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 214
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 191
- The booking.com con 166
- UK State pension paid in NZ 160