HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 116 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 117 1
- Instant CPD offer 279 4
- Cash basis 514 13
- Income from rent charged to business 120 2
- payroll software 365 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 436 5
- Statutory sick pay 307 4
- Dividend in specie 368 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 272 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 166 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 382 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,855 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 333 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 257 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 107 1
- Skandia using wrong address 573
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 306
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 305
- Employee rewards 288
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 252
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 186
- LLP in Construction Industry 154
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 130