HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- capital gains on PPR 251 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 368 14
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,817 443
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 211 4
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 182 7
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 180 2
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,299 62
- Company expansion 102 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 380 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 502 15
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 525 8
- 100% Xero practice 2,482 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 261 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 194 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 174 2
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 300 9
- PRR 372 13
- 40% rule for travel expenses 415 11
- Cash injection by shareholder 324 7
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 446 20
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,314
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 480
- National Insurance 373
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 264
- Hands on experience of Digita 215
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 167
- employment capital allowances 163
- CIS paid under reg 9 157