HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- BrightPay 1,042 33
- Regular Director bonus 376 10
- SA REFUND; DEFRAUDED BY UNKNOWN PARTY 204 5
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 1,019 17
- Clients have been told I'm working from home 830 13
- HMRC Summons for £14k 429 6
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 586 14
- BIK for an electric car 139 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,599 90
- Corporation Tax Software 354 10
- How do I save face? 2,213 14
- Goodie bag 3,000 72
- US Pensions and Renunciation of Citizenship 96 1
- How many associated companies 171 2
- Signed accounts for a lender 432 17
- can I approach clients ? 909 11
- Secure document exchange 586 6
- New Agency rules - who's responsible? 166 2
- FreeAgent question 344 8
- Mortgage interest 136 1
- Possible Partnership? 680
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 531
- Fuming! 499
- New Fangled Penalties 465
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 329
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 271
- Moving away from CCH software 261
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 251
- Outsource Data Entry 249
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 203