HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Have i messed up? 720 11
- VAT on garage rent 85 8
- Are HMRC getting it right? 413 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 45 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 63 2
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 231 8
- Tasks for new trainees 112 3
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 58 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 41 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 545 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 96 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,630 46
- Property scam victim 297 4
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 214 5
- Tax Returns, 2011-2012 244 6
- Aggressive HMRC 1,801 19
- Is there is a tax neutral way of splitting a company? 164 6
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 135 2
- Partnership returns software 87 1
- Personal consumption by landlord 271 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,083
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 571
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 381
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 285
- Charge out rates in London? 239
- Interest on Loan to a Company 184
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 172
- Agent fees to sell business 161
- Alphabet shares 159
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 153