HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Dividend Payments 358 10
- I.d for vat registration 120 7
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 81 4
- CGT implications for gift of shares to connected person 116 6
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 675 24
- Goods Purchased for Rental 375 15
- builder's 'cost only' job 80 1
- Myfirmsapp 605 13
- Valuation of business 254 4
- Filing past due corporation tax returns 271 1
- Completing Self-Assessment for a Director of Owner Managed Business 151 3
- CIS Deductions 105 2
- SA302's anyone?? 2,645 40
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 129 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 471 17
- Legal Counsel PC costs 72 1
- High Income Child Benefit 131 2
- Fees for sale 363 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 2,619 24
- Share premium or Directors Loan 659 28
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,007
- International interest certificate 586
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 507
- NOVA 470
- Bonus Bonds 354
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 328
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 257
- Payment for Promotional Samples 225
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 222
- Quickbooks 2015 147