HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Another transfer of property 76 2
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 769 25
- VAT on non-denominated postage 188 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 31 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 552 11
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 225 5
- LEL and PAYE registration 65 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 126 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 166 1
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 855 40
- Tax relief for networking day out? 546 14
- SA316s 211 3
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 93 1
- Swiching tax 538 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 522 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 381 11
- Start-up cost recognition 120 1
- Lunches 288 3
- Mortgage Adviser's request 412 8
- Generic notification message 271 6
- Construction CIS LLP Company 611
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 592
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 388
- Pensions Regulator 352
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 292
- Using the correct forms 267
- RTI - duplicate employee record 261
- SA penalty proposals 257
- Accelerated payment notices 237
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 232