HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Nominal Code for Car lease? 149 7
- Put fees on website 163 5
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 1,440 27
- Director resignation 113 3
- Can't find a good web address 80 1
- effective advertising 103 2
- Mobile phone and P11D 1,231 4
- I'm thinking of moving to Ireland 226 3
- Sigma Red 1,351 3
- CIS Software Recommendations 334 5
- VAT on medical/care services? 74 2
- Definition of "relative" in benefits code 155 2
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 434 6
- Should we let the Client Call the Shots? 468 7
- VAT Variation Team 188 3
- Cloud Based Software recommendations please 90 1
- Sage help please 298 4
- charges for storing documents 193 1
- Share scheme annual returns problem 86 1
- VAT in Eu 76 1
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 474
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 457
- WIP Software 330
- No payroll scheme in place 282
- Is there anything wrong with this? 253
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 244
- Small Part Disposal of Property 224
- Uncommercial property business 216
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 187
- SA Penalty 179