HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- What are options for non CA firm 2,593 56
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,282 33
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 721 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 1,362 28
- Dividend dates 461 8
- R&D tax credit claim 199 5
- PITA client 123 2
- CIS Deductions 263 3
- Estate agent and VAT registration 72 1
- is this fraud? 749 13
- Married woman dies owning marital home 473 5
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,483 28
- Leaving Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 202 5
- Not a good start no broadband 470 10
- DEATH OF A SHAREHOLDER NO SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT 167 2
- new software IXBRL and Accounts production? 210 2
- PPR CGT section 222 builds an extension 86 1
- Intrastat triangulation 70 1
- CGT 152 3
- Supplier refund treatment in Sage Line 50 193 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 592
- Cancelled 344
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 330
- Cancelled 281
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 252
- Probiz 239
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 178
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 174
- Car leasing scheme 170
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 151