HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 185 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 279 4
- Self assesment losses 275 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 153 3
- Off site storage 76 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,069 42
- Garden studio - tax and VAT deductible? 112 1
- CT treatment of staff entertainment for overseas staff 94 2
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 526 4
- Joint Property rent 154 3
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 199 6
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 242 1
- Fee protection 872 16
- Overdrawn DLA 266 9
- Disposal of an opted property 134 2
- Sage Bank Reconciliation 241 5
- Irish Taxation 98 1
- If I repay my Directors loan, will I haveto pay tax on the profit ? 3,138 31
- CIS monthly declaration 202 9
- Telephone call from "Xero" 379 4
- Xtuple 560
- Qtac payroll for bureau 384
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 335
- Industrial & Provident Societies 325
- Domain name sale and limited company 225
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 206
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 204
- Investment 202
- Tax on damages received 173
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 161