HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,143 52
- Window Comb Binder Cover 147 3
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 81 1
- client can't/won't pay 388 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 146 6
- AIA 142 4
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 242 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 255 9
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 280 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,179 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 241 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 191 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 545 26
- HMRC SA software error? 146 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 168 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 266 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 202 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 171 2
- wave software 131 1
- Freelance software consultant 340 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 786
- Copy Wanted 500
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 456
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 453
- Latest phishing scam 287
- Entrepreneurs' relief 272
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 269
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 250
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 240
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 236