HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Vat payable on van 26 1
- Account and Taxable Profit 203 13
- Class 2 NIC 205 4
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,821 42
- Accounting for corporation tax 110 4
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 228 7
- Community Faux Pas 903 26
- Cash gift from India 66 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,294 40
- Windows10 130 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 610 24
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,671 36
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 310 6
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 459 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 195 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 373 6
- Probate services 405 8
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 863 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 778 14
- An IT question 278 6
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 326
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 295
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 246
- Payroll manager and the cloud 215
- Is the APN valid 196