HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- What are options for non CA firm 2,032 38
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 344 7
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,708 26
- Errors in prior year accounts 901 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 577 11
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 633 6
- Unallocated client money 443 10
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 2,022 41
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,470 26
- Expenses Apps 262 5
- VAT & capitalising 167 3
- Final year's accounts 190 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 388 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 334 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 300 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 171 2
- Invoice Help 269 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 216 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 281 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 263 3
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 627
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 299
- Cancelled 287
- Cancelled 246
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 194
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 177
- What's the market like for temps? 169