HMRC sends letters to 1,500 scheme users
The BBC reported last week that HMRC's "Specialist Investigations Unit" was sending out 1,500 pre-emptive letters to users of a particular tax scheme suggesting it might be in their best interests to stop using it, and warning that it now viewed them as high-risk.
"You are in the small minority of people who have made the deliberate choice to avoid tax. We focus our resources on this small minority. The choice that you have made changes the way we view your tax affairs," the letter warned, adding that as well as carrying out a full investigation into the scheme, it would open an enquiry into the person's tax affairs."
Have any members seen one of these, or know any of the background to the scheme?
Are you worried by the pre-emptive nature of the attack and that it may have opened a worrying new door in the dash for cash, or is it quite a smart move to discourage aggressive tax schemes. What would you advise your clients to do, and how would you deal with the SIU? (Speaking of which, has anyone heard of this outfit before?).
We'll be following up with a news piece, so any information from the community will be most helpul - thanks.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 759 5
- See you all on the other side 771 6
- 12Pay 549 2
- dividends 760 2
- R&D 370 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,234 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 482 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 485 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 441 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 584 5
- Seeking a tax case 696 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 558 4
- Companies house strike off 672 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 500 2
- Moving to the cloud 789 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 231 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 953 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 236 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,129 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 542 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 581
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 433
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 370
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 365
- Marginal rates of tax 359
- Capitalising Finance Lease 348
- Class 2 NI 341
- USA help 330
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 314