HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Auto-Enrolment 3,730 178
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 204 11
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 544 6
- First VAT Visit for client 47 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 98 3
- capital gains on PPR 1,419 21
- cost of moving out for a few weeks 271 9
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 226 14
- Incorporation Relief 88 1
- What type of Trust? 141 3
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 130 5
- OBK 582 19
- Instant CPD offer 129 2
- Dividend in specie 123 2
- Investor exit 104 2
- Withholding Tax - Invoicing Ecuador 162 4
- Flat Rate Scheme - Joining date 77 1
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,751 26
- Sage error message 152 2
- Partially exempt? 182 5
- Skandia using wrong address 465
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 269
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 264
- Employee rewards 256
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 216
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 208
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 207
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 192
- Etax Australian 165
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 154