HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 61 3
- How to pay national insurance 426 13
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 132 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 950 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 267 4
- Overlap relief 608 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 123 3
- Ex-gratia payments 158 4
- Employment status 111 2
- HMRC & daft penalty 502 5
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 1,748 21
- Bumper Holiday Pay 151 2
- HMRC Email 213 4
- s75 ICTA88 Management expenses - idiots guide 245 12
- Government Gateway 1,069 17
- Intercompany advice 76 1
- Independent Review of a Company Limited by Guarantee 158 6
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,784 19
- New Website Look 549 14
- CGT on compulsory purchase cpmpensation re lease 113 3
- Theatre Tax Relief 473
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 364
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 360
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 333
- Perkbox 298
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 285
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 260
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 255
- Document Management Systems 236
- WIP Software 220