HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- VAT reverse charge on consulting from EC 79 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 493 18
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 87 3
- Client Require Tax Return and Profit and Loss for Housing Benefit claim 75 1
- VAT Reclaim 142 7
- How to network with other Accountants? 195 2
- Employment Allowance 116 2
- How much do you pay for Xero? 185 1
- exemptions from CIS 158 3
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 207 1
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 146 3
- Using Xero with Barclays & Lloyds and multi company usage 357 3
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,492 52
- Option to tax by two individuals "together" not as a Ltd company 158 2
- Directors exempt from AE? 461 8
- Cut-off accounting question 334 7
- Freehold management company 91 1
- account in joint names - gift? 199 3
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 518 10
- HMRC site down ? 450 7
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 391
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 343
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 326
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 309
- Electric Car 264
- S222 Charge 227
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 224
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 209
- Company Structure 202
- IP trans to holding company 162