HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,423 39
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 53 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 219 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,217 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 348 6
- Go Cardless 372 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 313 3
- Mehjoo 328 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 118 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 377 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 333 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 288 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 252 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 179 1
- Hosted email exchange 188 5
- South African Government Pension 184 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 385 4
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 233
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 205
- Domain name sale and limited company 178
- CIS schemes 175
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 151