HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 167 12
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 106 2
- You know its over 208 3
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 119 3
- Cocaine anyone? 445 8
- Late Registration for VAT 468 13
- EIS/SEIS 129 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 256 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 396 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 392 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 660 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 527 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 552 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 101 1
- Personal pension 390 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 213 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,196 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 897 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 133 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,510 22
- Hive up 480
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 445
- corporate hierarchy 428
- Advice - 263
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 217
- WWOOFers 212
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 200
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 169
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 166