HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Spousal transfer and PPR 622 25
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 526 16
- recompense capital input 120 5
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 59 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 706 19
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 86 1
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 409 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,204 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 111 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 178 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 207 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 216 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 976 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 183 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 244 5
- Merging my businesses 223 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 483 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 374 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 334 1
- Holiday entitlement 592 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 794
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 412
- Portia ... Where art thou 323
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183