HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 279 4
- Closing my business down 75 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 843 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 279 6
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 191 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 103 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 589 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,241 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,467 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 190 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 109 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 291 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 89 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,093 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 414 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 153 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 224 3
- FPS or EPS 170 2
- Continuity of Practice 223 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 145 2
- Moving away from CCH software 955
- QROP pension input amounts 441
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 384
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 358
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 326
- fraud 285
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 260
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 229
- Construction CIS LLP Company 213
- EPS and CIS deductions 201