HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 181 4
- Can you recognize revenue on asset sold and bought back at a later stage? 45 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 38 2
- Quickbooks expert needed 119 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,382 58
- Aggressive HMRC 1,157 14
- Charity reserves 51 1
- Have i messed up? 380 7
- Related Parties Note 287 6
- Client change of address for VAT - can't do it online?! 333 6
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,324 16
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 468 26
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 244 1
- End of the party for dividends? 1,232 18
- How to format a stock book 366 1
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,375 31
- Disposal of property 99 2
- Tax liability of sole trader changing to partnership 130 1
- Website - Any guess on their business ... 243 2
- trading or dormant 204 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 969
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 538
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 350
- Tax efficient holding company structure 276
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 260
- Investment property company accounts template 242
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 188
- Personal consumption by landlord 165
- Interest on Loan to a Company 157