HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- signature required 902 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 164 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,334 22
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 451 13
- Community awards 2014 - first category 160 6
- Can you help me spot errors? 317 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 324 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 108 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 84 1
- VAT Office Grimsby 189 3
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 145 2
- Payment plans for clients 273 3
- CT600 256 8
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 89 1
- Lease 141 4
- Free invoicing software 503 4
- Digita Hosted Software 396 4
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 186 5
- Thin Client recomendation 236 3
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 197 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,304
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 853
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 546
- Credit where credit's due....... 335
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 260
- TheTax Donut 229
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 187
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 179
- Director's business mileage 145
- Sole trader CPD 145