HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 333 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 549 17
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 3,341 22
- Wear and tear allowance 1,142 11
- Was there ever a time limit for claiming taper relief? 123 2
- CIC Dividend Cap 232 7
- IHT dilemma 642 13
- New business - journal entries 472 23
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 230 1
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 95 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 751 25
- Director's loan account in credit 352 3
- Contract worker paying Employers NI 161 3
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 264 5
- CT/CIS offset 243 3
- accounting for this transaction 279 1
- Why should I retain membership? 3,025 49
- Pension contributions and unused allowances 301 3
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 128 1
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 413 14
- Auto enrolment excuses 933
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 734
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 420
- Excuses, excuses!!! 229
- Social investment tax relief 228
- Digita Hosted Software 227
- Call Centre Data Costs 213
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 202
- Travel costs and contractors 190
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 184