HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 548 11
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 180 5
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 266 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 151 2
- Capital Gain? 519 14
- Sell business after leaving country 156 2
- How much to charge? 282 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 193 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 647 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 249 2
- break even point 601 18
- Simple consolidation question 144 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 397 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,010 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 409 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 213 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 308 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 203 4
- IHT Query 264 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 449 2
- Possible Partnership? 470
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 445
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 432
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 237
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 232
- New Fangled Penalties 226
- Clubs and Taxable Income 223
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 219
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 197
- Loans to other companies 171