HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 93 4
- When does my Property business start 121 2
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,351 38
- Employment status 468 9
- Foreign Premium Distributions 150 1
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 775 15
- Company Pension Contributions 160 3
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 123 1
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 372 9
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction - how is Gibraltar treated? 185 5
- Preparing a consolidated TB 142 3
- How to Value a Business 395 7
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,110 19
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 120 2
- Fastest Software 526 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,575 68
- Vat threshold issues 1,441 12
- Charging for book-keeping on a 'per transaction' basis 780 19
- How much did you pay for your website 403 12
- Sage Payroll & NIC 343 7
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 585
- CTA study material 582
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 353
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 281
- Employment related securities question 217
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 187
- ATED Penalties 182
- AIM Stocks and IHT 166
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 119
- Trust for Employee 118