HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Limited company buying a car 44 2
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 27 1
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 70 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 30 1
- WC's and capital allowances 153 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 280 13
- Dress code 1,522 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 464 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 227 6
- Limited company buying director's car 238 8
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 417 7
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 356 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 462 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 139 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 79 3
- SH01 filing deadline - late filing 179 4
- Trees and hedging - capital expenditure 157 2
- How to complain about HMRC 1,422 17
- Scottish Independance 768 23
- New laptop - any suggestions please 1,250 26
- CTA study material 763
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 473
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 382
- Employment related securities question 303
- AIM Stocks and IHT 276
- Expat pension contributions? 252
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 252
- Trust for Employee 230
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 162
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 144