HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Enforcing A CCJ 335 7
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 369 8
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 49 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 167 5
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 161 2
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 282 5
- Comapny valuation qualifications 113 2
- Director's tax return 375 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 169 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,102 34
- Flat rate vat 201 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 184 5
- Coming in from the cold 359 3
- Splitting the tax year 176 2
- P11d & Medical Ins 211 2
- Should design costs be capitalised? 182 4
- Submitting tax return 200 1
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 270 8
- Sage Payroll 320 11
- Payroo Employer allowance query 214 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 809
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 559
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 427
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 308
- Free Tax Legislation? 282
- Director Loan account operation 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 254
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 250
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 232
- Paye procedures for CVA 170