HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 271 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,547 502
- Sick pay 210 6
- Directors self assessment 100 2
- Employer's Helpline 204 1
- Employment Allowance Incorrectly Claimed for Domestic Payroll 79 2
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 181 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,749 70
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 1,077 8
- Undeclared rental income 353 6
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 935 27
- Penalties for an amended p35 (2012/13) 116 2
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 296 10
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 246 6
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 444 20
- cross border vat 148 3
- Which profit figure to use 206 2
- Audit partner? 375 7
- home office expenses as a director 226 6
- Drop box Storage 943 9
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,409
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 538
- National Insurance 438
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 258
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 246
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Umbrella pay services 140
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 121
- VAT on ESS via Apple, Google, Nokia - 120