HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- are receipts needed? 175 6
- New accountant 78 3
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 433 25
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,912 65
- Tax case refeence request 70 1
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 776 28
- Sage Payroll with 'employees' not having tax or NI deducted 217 4
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,899 29
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 232 5
- Working out a daily rate 137 5
- Auto enrolment 1,226 13
- Payroll dates 119 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 281 8
- Withholding of tax 94 1
- missing 946 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 163 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 100 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 516 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 200 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 187 7
- Skandia using wrong address 1,574
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 871
- International interest certificate 481
- NOVA 338
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 254
- Management expenses for investment company 229
- Bonus Bonds 228
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 220
- Help with tax codes on Sage 172
- Capital reduction 163