HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- deleting customers on Sage 50 135 6
- Value-shifting 32 1
- Pattern for CTA 191 4
- Flat Rate Scheme 268 14
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 429 18
- SDLT exemptions/reliefs 67 2
- Incorrect Accounts. Is it worth taking action against the old accountant? 168 3
- Film Partnership Enquiries - am I just unlucky? 215 5
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 685 7
- EBT 168 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 153 8
- Giving a seminar 507 28
- Joint Filing Help 94 1
- Altered PAYE cheque 187 4
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 2,197 32
- Interest on Loan to a Company 248 2
- Writing off bad debts 177 4
- Added years superannuation 50 1
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 99 2
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 350 7
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,200
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 599
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 404
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 307
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 191
- Agent fees to sell business 186
- Alphabet shares 184
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 176
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 158
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 158