HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- How do I answer a W-8BEN-E question (USA IRS) 96 1
- Is paying for hotel for employee to work at office taxable? 119 2
- Getting hassle from client 81 2
- RTI - are HMRC picking any numbers? 316 3
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 293 11
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 240 7
- Rowing Machine - allowable company asset? 122 2
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 191 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 133 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 201 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 111 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 215 2
- CIS Software 134 1
- Company assets 373 16
- MoneySoft 196 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 125 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 667 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 150 2
- Self assessment 161 1
- Claiming VAT 162 2
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 506
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 483
- Is there anything wrong with this? 282
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 269
- Uncommercial property business 249
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 206
- Registering online CWF1 187
- VAT - registration needed? 184
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 184
- Accrued income scheme 183