HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,596 70
- Do I need a smartphone? 643 22
- Incorporated when they should not have 184 7
- Help with HMRC investigation 56 2
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 68 2
- Tax position re this lease? 342 8
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 309 5
- AWeb - download file 101 2
- pension paid by company? 313 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 724 17
- Late annual return 104 1
- Charity work 204 10
- Company Director In Prison 364 8
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 220 12
- HMRC Agents Line 119 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 174 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,684 60
- inheritance tax 562 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 163 5
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 72 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 672
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 498
- Cancelled 424
- Cancelled 363
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 361
- Probiz 333
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 322
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 214
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 197