HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,261 271
- Payroll provider 64 5
- Repairs after a rental business ends 271 9
- How do we report and pay tax liability of company car we give to employee? 97 1
- Family loan 331 8
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 311 5
- business card address 207 5
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 492 23
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 176 6
- Standard 'email' template system 800 13
- Donations (to a school!) 306 10
- Circular shareholding 129 3
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 256 1
- Employment related securities question 558 2
- Shutting down a company with creditors 944 12
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 256 4
- Expenses of overseas employment 105 1
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 95 2
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 151 5
- VAT Romania - how to register 206 4
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,100
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 361
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 298
- National Insurance 267
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 237
- Payments on account coded out?? 225
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 218
- Non Resident 180
- Franchise income and costs 173
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 153