HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,315 20
- Should I move back home away from my office? 474 10
- Property income in different capacities 124 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 211 6
- Contract Hire of Vans for Limited Company 72 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 415 10
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 129 1
- Scanners 184 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 137 1
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 240 3
- Payment plans for clients 154 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 239 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 280 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 395 2
- P60 or payslips? 120 1
- IHT dilemma 1,391 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 199 1
- IT advisory questions? 194 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 801 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 167 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,167
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 799
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 494
- Digita Hosted Software 322
- Credit where credit's due....... 280
- Director phone costs 240
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 229
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 212
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 161
- how to object to registered company name... 142