HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Shareholder agreement 112 3
- Tax code for Companies House fees 93 1
- Tax treatment of cashed in American Savings Plan 187 3
- Company Reorganisation 119 3
- G'day IPA-IFA 621 10
- Employee Loan 158 2
- IRIS - Personal Tax - 2013/14 - Page UKP2 445 15
- Statutory residence test - transit days 560 5
- CGT - Is a calculation required now? 94 1
- Wear and tear allowance 440 6
- Accountants' Error 593 12
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 333 6
- Buying accountancy practice 620 10
- Paperless office 1,071 7
- Accountant Error 383 6
- Auto enrolment 138 2
- Subscriptions not on HMRC list of approved bodies 407 5
- Daily Penalties 2012/13 278 3
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 255 12
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 279 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,442
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 749
- Any views 684
- HMRC Employers Diary 517
- International interest certificate 419
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 380
- Sale of business 342
- NOVA 250
- Advertising services? 242
- IRIS Open Books problem 235