HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Which address 1,039 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 563 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 70 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,468 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,056 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,201 44
- R&D tax claim 248 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 523 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 179 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 130 2
- Gift to employee 373 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 163 1
- Transfer of a business 127 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,138 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 415 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 120 2
- Sage Import Data 313 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 245 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 136 2
- Best time software for small practice? 238 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 482
- CTA study material 456
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 335
- Pre incorp expenses 315
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 257
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 208
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 162
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 143
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135