HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Pattern for CTA 248 5
- Very Difficult to type on Aweb again 137 3
- PAYE versus Dividends 159 3
- Employee or partner 28 1
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 189 5
- The Cotter Case 187 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 130 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 146 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 73 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 941 16
- Sole Trader business 155 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 152 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 148 1
- Giving a seminar 685 36
- Tax position on lease extension 181 1
- Boffin of the Year 307 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 223 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 240 4
- Sage Depreciation 85 1
- Non sequitur 256 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,309
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 643
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 427
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 335
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 264
- Alphabet shares 222
- Agent fees to sell business 216
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 210
- Office recharges 171
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 156