HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Tier One Tribunal 43 4
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 42 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 871 41
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 239 5
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 787 25
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 119 2
- Another transfer of property 108 2
- VAT on non-denominated postage 202 7
- Taxi Plate & Car 82 1
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 563 11
- LEL and PAYE registration 82 1
- Employmnet Allowance 2015/2016 155 2
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 174 1
- Tax relief for networking day out? 554 14
- SA316s 217 3
- Swiching tax 543 15
- Proposal to strike off...... 531 10
- Can I recharge Car loan interest 389 11
- Start-up cost recognition 126 1
- Lunches 307 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 612
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 594
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 389
- Pensions Regulator 357
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 293
- Using the correct forms 268
- RTI - duplicate employee record 263
- SA penalty proposals 258
- Accelerated payment notices 238
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 234