HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 741 5
- See you all on the other side 762 6
- 12Pay 534 2
- dividends 738 2
- R&D 364 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,228 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 479 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 477 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 427 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 578 5
- Seeking a tax case 686 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 546 4
- Companies house strike off 656 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 481 2
- Moving to the cloud 786 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 230 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 947 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 233 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,120 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 536 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 577
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 431
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 381
- IRIS and FRS 102 367
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 351
- Capitalising Finance Lease 343
- Marginal rates of tax 343
- Class 2 NI 329
- USA help 328
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 311