HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Share restructure 364 14
- Adjusting over-provision of Corporation Tax in previous year 25 1
- SDLT - transfer of land into newco 33 1
- Laptop purchase 945 17
- RTI and bank holiday Friday 125 3
- Childcare Vouchers 72 1
- Elective DeductionsModel 125 3
- What password safe app does anyone recommend? 972 23
- Moneysoft - Car Benefits 80 1
- Company petition 56 1
- Belated VAT Exception Application 183 6
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 554 13
- CT600 for the first time 140 5
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 324 7
- Agent with HMRC 183 9
- Propert purchase, renovation then rented out and VAT 63 1
- Purchase buy-to-let property personally or LTD? 562 9
- Sage Payroll 110 4
- VAT query 156 2
- company secretarial software 208 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 745
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 509
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 376
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 352
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 270
- VAT on Gaming Machines 223
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 209
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 200
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 186
- Director Loan account operation 169