HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- nic class 1 on expenses mechanics 70 3
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 602 18
- Merger of Two companies 222 12
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 175 1
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 30 1
- Why should I retain membership? 3,141 52
- Wear and tear allowance 1,391 13
- Residency test 237 5
- IHT dilemma 799 15
- Sum Product - Pulling my hair out! 656 13
- PPR/CGT/Part-Disposal/Land 155 4
- Tax free threshold on person receiving gifts 147 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 375 8
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 3,610 22
- Was there ever a time limit for claiming taper relief? 151 2
- CIC Dividend Cap 242 7
- New business - journal entries 508 23
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 263 1
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 124 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 767 25
- Auto enrolment excuses 950
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 735
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 423
- Excuses, excuses!!! 284
- Social investment tax relief 232
- Digita Hosted Software 230
- Call Centre Data Costs 216
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 214
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 196
- Travel costs and contractors 195