HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,352 48
- Payroll Software Recommendations 91 3
- Received a CIS invoice 54 1
- PPR Sanity Check 58 1
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 85 1
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 302 4
- saturday staff 95 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 449 3
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 130 2
- Incorporation and goodwill 167 3
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 281 3
- Industrial & Provident Societies 378 3
- Self assesment losses 367 9
- Disposal of an opted property 211 3
- Fee protection 985 19
- Payroll systems 439 8
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 194 3
- dividend 302 13
- overdrawn directors loan 301 6
- Irish Taxation 185 6
- Xtuple 571
- Qtac payroll for bureau 392
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 347
- Domain name sale and limited company 242
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 216
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 216
- Tax on damages received 190
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 187
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 153
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 146