HMRC software fault?
Is it just me or does HMRC's own software calculate tax on interest incorrectly?
Interest is included on the return net, which is rounded (down) to the nearest pound. So if interest of £2.80 is earned gross, it gets added to the return as £2.00.
Then tax deducted at source is calculated by grossing up, so £2.00 divided by 80% is £2.50, meaning £0.50 tax has been deducted at source.
The net figure is then taxed at 10, 20, 40 or 50% respectively! In this case 10% so £0.20, whereas I believe it should be taxed on the gross providing a figure of £0.25.
So instead of being owed £0.25, my client is owed £0.30.
I hope you didn't ask "so what?", so what if my client earned £20,000.80 instead of £2.80? They would have an effective tax rate of 16% and get a £1,000 refund.
I presume commercial software works better but I can't wait for the court case where HMRC blame the tax payer for under-declaring tax by using HMRC's own software. I would be interested in a lawyers interpretation of whether you can sue HMRC for providing dodgy software.
All thanks and praise go to the client who provides you with interest figures on the 30 January.
Welcome to the future, it's broken.
- What are options for non CA firm 1,522 18
- Tick & Bash Bristol 187 4
- FRS to standard - check my understanding 82 1
- Do I need to pay Capital Gain Tax 418 21
- Are pre trading lossess able to be off set if the company does not trade? 30 2
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 76 1
- Tax position re this lease? 125 2
- VAT on Training Courses 128 2
- No VAT apportionment on tools on hand at registration? 129 2
- Self employed travel expenses 142 3
- which software 377 4
- Filing Dormant LLPs with Companies House 53 1
- Is a tax return required - rental income? 389 4
- Audit exempt subsidiary 83 1
- Accounting treatment of service charges incurred prior to occupation 142 1
- Best apps for clients 275 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 595 8
- sole trader employing his girlfriend 1,845 16
- HMRC list of tax avoidance schemes 281 2
- Corporation tax - group relief on 75% subsidiary 129 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 576
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 448
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 351
- IFA incorporation 333
- Sorry ignore me 313
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 268
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 262
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 255
- Cancelled 196
- property ownership between husband wife three taxpayers 163