HMRC won't collect tax from employer
My client has a state pension and a couple of part time jobs.
A BR coding was issued to one of the employers in 2007/08 but was not operated. My client did not notice the error and by 5 April 2011 the tax underpaid is in the order of £2,500.
I asked HMRC to collect this from the employer. They refuse, stating that the employer says he didn't receive the coding and that my client ought to have known that she was not paying the right amount of tax.
I asked for a review, which reached the same conclusion.
Is it worth taking to a tribunal? Thanks.
- Accountancy Career 326 4
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,698 39
- Holiday Pay whilst on Mat Leave 92 1
- Accounts Software 155 5
- HMRC Agents Line 213 4
- calculation DTR restriction 90 1
- Company Director In Prison 460 11
- SMP reclaimable by employer 84 1
- AWeb - download file 179 3
- Charity work 247 11
- Help with HMRC investigation 264 6
- Director Drawings 182 5
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 273 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 238 7
- Collection or business assets 117 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 275 8
- Tax position re this lease? 372 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 732 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 109 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,677 70
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 681
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 521
- Cancelled 428
- Cancelled 366
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 338
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 329
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 244
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 218
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 203