We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Your fondest calculator memories 190 10
- Joint filing delays 18 2
- Can't understand my own electricity / gas bills 179 6
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 188 4
- Anyone having problems with IRIS OpenSpace? 31 3
- Sale of an investment between group companies 68 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 353 11
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 1,258 18
- RTI - EPS - ??? 227 3
- Sub-contractor provided with a vehicle 150 5
- Partner with an IVA 49 3
- Can Directors be removed without consequence? 219 4
- Growing pains 317 6
- Owner/Director consultant plus employment elsewhere 177 6
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 136 7
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 507 13
- Breach of employment contract 155 3
- Benefit of my ACCA membership to my Non Qualified Employer 411 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 779 31
- Offset Self-Employed Losses against PAYE 105 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 440
- CTA study material 401
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 296
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 270
- Pre incorp expenses 260
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 233
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 225
- Slight twist on employment related securities 202
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 169
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 163