We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 219 8
- Flat rate vat error 272 6
- can I claim a per diem 202 4
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 771 18
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 129 3
- Linux Accounting Software 548 13
- Dispensation pointless ? 501 13
- RTI due -no broadband 108 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 464 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 75 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 100 4
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 252 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 870 10
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,196 27
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 460 14
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 384 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 224 5
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 415 8
- Business Christmas Greetings 866 17
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 494 11
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 815
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 497
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 314
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 223
- Tax efficient holding company structure 217
- Investment property company accounts template 212
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 176