We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 232 8
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 103 2
- Non VAT invoices 103 2
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 240 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 91 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,347 32
- Fees 113 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 232 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 173 2
- Form 17 Download 91 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 533 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 366 4
- HMRC Information notice 982 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 264 3
- Accountant Specialization. 369 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,744 42
- Sage Line 50 168 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 174 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 442 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 388 7
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 243
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 202
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 173
- AIA 172