We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Starting up in practice - safety net 169 4
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 347 9
- Can Excel sheets be imported into Digita Accounts Production Posting Sheets? 99 1
- Director's current account - fuel costs and expenses 331 11
- How to avoid PAYE Registeration 223 4
- Rental property company 110 1
- How quickly do you turn around y/e accounts? 316 7
- Payroo Employer allowance query 263 8
- Enforcing A CCJ 384 7
- RTI 'Late Filing' & paying employees in arrears 161 1
- Reporting no P11d due when PAYE scheme closed by HMRC 5Apr2013 200 2
- Comapny valuation qualifications 148 2
- Ex Client from over 3 years ago 498 5
- Director's tax return 401 8
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 187 3
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 3,140 34
- Flat rate vat 245 2
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 197 5
- Coming in from the cold 397 3
- Splitting the tax year 197 2
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 822
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 572
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 439
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 320
- Free Tax Legislation? 294
- Director Loan account operation 273
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 263
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 260
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 239
- Paye procedures for CVA 180