We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 410 24
- PayPal Transaction Analysis 223 5
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 735 27
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 2,854 64
- Working out a daily rate 81 5
- Auto enrolment 1,198 13
- Payroll dates 81 5
- VAT reports on trade debtors and trade creditors 273 8
- Withholding of tax 78 1
- missing 916 20
- Self-employed b/f losses 142 3
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 83 1
- are receipts needed? 132 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 506 16
- sole trader - operating under cis 187 4
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 152 7
- Partnership merger 82 1
- Know it alls (who don't) 850 19
- VAT on motor expenses 999 36
- Incorporation with pending court case 190 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,570
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 868
- International interest certificate 478
- NOVA 335
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 246
- Management expenses for investment company 227
- Bonus Bonds 225
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 216
- Help with tax codes on Sage 168
- Capital reduction 160