We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Probate services 292 4
- Opening Balance in Sage 50 Accounts 33 1
- Annual to At Least Quarterly 285 10
- Community Faux Pas 750 25
- AAT before CIMA? 65 1
- trading losses allowable? 703 13
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 410 9
- Tax Fines - HMRC 718 11
- Shared Network Drive on the Cloud 59 3
- VAT - Check on clients business 840 34
- Portuguese Resident having a UK Limited Company 139 6
- Here we go.... 796 25
- Capital Gains 321 6
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR)? 137 1
- Salary Sacrifce School Fees Self Assessment 281 11
- Repaying Directors Loans within 9 months 641 21
- Group relief for CT 125 2
- Practical experience 770 14
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,250 23
- How do others remember to do things you promise for different clients? What systems? 1,513 32