We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 12 1
- RTI Payroll ID 985 24
- What do your junior staff do? 457 7
- Overlap profit 256 5
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 575 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 334 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 496 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 103 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,883 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 274 3
- Payments on account 109 1
- On the high seas 89 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 129 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 850 34
- Payroll question 129 2
- Where has Portia gone? 4,871 106
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 260 5
- Warning - "Central Register of Companies" con 218 3
- Goodwill On Incorporation 165 1
- CT600 for first year UK company trading abroad 191 13
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 840
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 439
- Sanzar 336
- How do you do it 330
- Digital marketing focus group 309
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 286
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 202
- Fit for purpose 198
- new investor structure 194
- VAT Registration 177