We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Sick pay 118 2
- home office expenses as a director 122 4
- 2 sole traders merging to become a limited company what do they need? 244 7
- Undeclared rental income 255 5
- Home Use Costs in Company Accounts ? 208 4
- Drop box Storage 872 9
- Drop Down Boxes 152 2
- Unfurnished Lettings Expenditure 206 5
- Any Scottish members out there? 13,369 498
- CIS paid under reg 9 207 1
- PAYE Refunds from HMRC 183 4
- rti 241 9
- Cash injection by shareholder 726 9
- Another goodwill question ....... 240 2
- FIFA game and making money 1,756 15
- Subsistence expenses for one man band contractor companies 406 7
- What Exactly does the RTI Penalty Relaxation mean? 268 4
- How to prove to HMRC that you was not self employed? 812 21
- Property management company Online returns 102 1
- VAT on sale of Assets to Director 139 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,402
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 535
- National Insurance 436
- Non Resident 328
- Hands on experience of Digita 256
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 240
- Employer's Helpline 194
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 163
- Commercial rental property - still Schedule A? 159
- Umbrella pay services 133