We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Repayment of Share Capital 89 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 533 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 392 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 98 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 113 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 404 10
- Self employed care worker 537 12
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 234 1
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 213 1
- Auto enrolment 446 8
- Audacity 948 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 391 7
- Late registration for MOSS 248 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 276 5
- Client right to working papers 383 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 553 6
- Professional Clearance 1,069 24
- Self Assessment statement credit balances unallocated and getting repayment 292 5
- Illegal share transfer 464 5
- Uk vat on supply of training services to South African Airline? 183 2
- NHS finance professionals 539
- VAL231 410
- Mother and son property ownership 385
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 361
- Foreign Pension Contribution 333
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 308
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 289
- vat gross profit percentage margins 288
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 263
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 230