We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- What sectors to target? 462 24
- Pension contribution 32 1
- Self assesment online 720 8
- Refusing to complete a tax return 647 13
- Journals to Creditors Control 183 6
- Repayment of maternity pay 160 3
- HMRC Sends Derbyshire pensioner Doug Yeomans tax demand for £4.7 BILLION! 199 8
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 208 7
- waive right to dividend payment 105 3
- eBay trading 77 1
- Treatment of Asset Disposal for Tax Purposes 141 5
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 987 43
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 301 7
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 199 4
- AIA and WDA 132 5
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,230 106
- Is sideways loss relief per trade or all trades aggregated 78 1
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,423 40
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 491 16
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 186 9
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 914
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 633
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 589
- Latest phishing scam 561
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 391
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 293
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 217
- Scratch Head 214
- Capital allowances in first basis period 201
- Sabbatical payments 187