We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- US share sale - income or capital 29 1
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,339 12
- flat rate scheme 863 30
- Allocation of income from property 304 8
- Capital allowances on residential property? 105 1
- Sage Cheque Printing - Still in the dark ages! 206 2
- Before I call employers helpline 312 2
- Unqualified accountants filing SATR, VAT returns etc for clients 659 18
- TAX CERTIFICATES- DO THEY NEED TAXPAYER'S NAME? 144 1
- Accountants reference for me?? 272 1
- CIS online 169 3
- Class IV NIC 218 3
- bookkeeping system 229 4
- Company van paid by director 130 1
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,580 46
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 259 3
- changes to small vat returns after death. 163 3
- Private company division 137 1
- Office 365 vs. Google apps 319 6
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 650 7