We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- break even point 973 30
- PAYE NI 44 1
- Liability account to deal with loans from owner 47 1
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 140 5
- Accomodation and travel 185 1
- Unpaid Fee's 284 6
- Issue with a software supplier 173 4
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 202 6
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 271 5
- Limited Company trading status. 223 6
- VAT flat rate scheme 90 1
- Failure to operate PAYE 1,585 29
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 132 2
- Aquisition Value 114 3
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 377 8
- When should i raise VAT invoice after pro-forma payment received? 428 12
- Dividends 279 3
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 800 13
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 169 4
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,302 11
- Possible Partnership? 505
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 486
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 463
- New Fangled Penalties 301
- Clubs and Taxable Income 255
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 254
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 243
- Loans to other companies 190
- Tasbook email configuration 179
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 163