We have just taken on a new client that had previously acted for themselves, occasionally taking the advice of a 'family friend' as these people often seem to do. They have a limited company and earlier this tax year set up a second, dormant company. They then transferred their shares in the old company to the new company (paper for paper) therefore creating a 'holding company'. The first company also owned a number of properties which have since been transferred to the new co for market rate with a dividend being voted to pay for them.
On the face of it I would agree that everything they have done so far is technically okay but, as yet, they have not obtained HMRC clearance for any of this. It is my understanding that clerance should be obtained for all such transactions, is this something I can now do after the event?
The client has also stated quite confidently that as the second company does not trade and merely holds property that it is not associated. However, i was under the impression that holding assets such as property would make it associated even if no rent were charged and therefore the CT bands would be halved.
Can anybody please clarify these points for me?
Thank you in advance to all who can assist - especially at such a busy time of the year.
- Offsetting CT losses against another company 18 1
- Do you use sign up lists on your website 125 1
- CIMA at the age of 35?? 440 9
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 436 10
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 240 6
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 238 8
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 191 1
- Share transfer question 313 16
- If you've had any issues posting: Please read this 541 10
- The stupidity continues 130 2
- New Employers Helpline 143 3
- Overlap relief 730 19
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,317 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 203 3
- CIS Contractor has not issued tax deduction certificate to client 195 4
- VAT Query 199 2
- Sacked my first client 682 14
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 267 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,276 24
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 626 11
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 430
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 423
- WIP Software 288
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 284
- No payroll scheme in place 220
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 219
- Software recommendations 205
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 199
- Is there anything wrong with this? 191
- Small Part Disposal of Property 172