Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 119 3
- Capital Gain? 512 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 203 5
- Sell business after leaving country 117 2
- How much to charge? 230 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 159 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 638 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 241 2
- break even point 593 18
- Simple consolidation question 111 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 389 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,000 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 405 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 205 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 280 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 114 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 170 4
- IHT Query 239 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 447 2
- BrightPay 695 22
- Possible Partnership? 465
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 442
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 429
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 227
- Clubs and Taxable Income 218
- New Fangled Penalties 216
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 212
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 184
- Loans to other companies 167