Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Comments on this scenario 101 2
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,628 67
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 73 2
- Penalties 108 1
- SAGE con 217 4
- rates of pay query 215 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 84 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 135 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 196 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 103 1
- Overpayment relief claim 152 5
- Charity reserves 129 3
- Have i messed up? 666 10
- Year end 360 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 217 3
- Related Parties Note 419 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 105 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 128 4
- loss on carbon credits 110 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 594 9
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,011
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 548
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 361
- Tax efficient holding company structure 288
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 276
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 214
- Charge out rates in London? 209
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 150