Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 307 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,290 40
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 201 3
- AIA or IFA 397 7
- Surely not? 361 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 607 9
- Start up allowance? 299 10
- Running two businesses from the same premises 327 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 336 7
- Late Registration for VAT 337 11
- Old CGT loss 152 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 245 5
- NLedger 289 10
- Share structures 122 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,121 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 323 5
- Business rates consultancy 208 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 168 4
- Are HMRC staff on early 531 7
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 213 9
- TheTax Donut 1,045
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 686
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 627
- Follower cases 492
- Limited company purchase of property 433
- Hive up 425
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 395
- corporate hierarchy 388
- LIVE chat, starting now 346
- Advice - 194