Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 166 3
- Where has Portia gone? 2,052 67
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 131 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 193 5
- recompense capital input 60 1
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 950 22
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 557 14
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 131 3
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 371 9
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 226 5
- Merging my businesses 207 3
- Spousal transfer and PPR 570 19
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 462 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 345 9
- Sage Vat return box 2 329 1
- Holiday entitlement 583 11
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 324 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 156 1
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 236 3
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 213 11
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 791
- RTI - duplicate employee record 558
- Pensions Regulator 450
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 410
- Portia ... Where art thou 316
- Sanzar 313
- Digital marketing focus group 297
- How do you do it 295
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 271
- new investor structure 179