Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 176 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 106 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 162 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 100 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 190 2
- CIS Software 119 1
- Company assets 367 16
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 224 6
- MoneySoft 172 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 82 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 662 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 147 2
- Self assessment 154 1
- Claiming VAT 136 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,126 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 177 4
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 278 10
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 275 5
- Basis period (2nd yr) for a partnership, please any suggestions would be really helpful 156 1
- Auto-enrolment - fact or fiction? 513 9
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 504
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 479
- Is there anything wrong with this? 281
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 267
- Uncommercial property business 245
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 204
- Registering online CWF1 184
- VAT - registration needed? 181
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 180
- Accrued income scheme 180