Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 153 1
- Large director's pension contribution 586 10
- Stamp Duty 38 1
- Best software for small practice? 772 23
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,746 27
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 108 2
- Car benefit or not? 2,524 26
- substantial shareholding exemption 145 1
- Land Registry 392 5
- Sole Trader or Ltd Company 241 3
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 483 9
- Company car and the new dividend tax rules 285 4
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 353 12
- Appropriate mileage allowance rate for privately leased car 126 3
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 174 5
- Company Structure 638 16
- Non reporting RTI - penalties 488 8
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,807 40
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 336 7
- Best Auto Enrollment Provider for clients DIY 188 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 789
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 280
- DTA tie-breaker issue 276
- CGT for NOn UK residents 238
- Apprenticeship Levy 213
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 204
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 197
- Just checking re PSA 191
- Capital Gains personal representatives 186