Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Residents Association Corp Tax 207 7
- Vat threshold issues 170 4
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 292 2
- private to company car? 219 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 171 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 112 2
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 85 1
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 284 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 143 4
- Partner with an IVA 191 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 338 6
- R&D tax claim 128 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 606 13
- Growing pains 378 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 242 14
- Consequential loss claim 140 3
- ATT Annual Return Problems 129 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 116 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 345 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 967 34
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 420
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 290
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 247
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 212
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 188
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 179