Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,351 379
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 134 6
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 129 1
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 78 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,252 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 486 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 263 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,279 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 112 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 169 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 107 1
- Scottish but not UK 318 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 287 10
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- P11D Query 154 4
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 93 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 441 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 105 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 299 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 430
- National Insurance 331
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 325
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 242
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152