Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Director registration for SA question 402 16
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 108 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 236 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 485 22
- Voluntary Disclosure 84 1
- valuation of vehicles 385 16
- Business only use of company car 674 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 500 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 298 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 930 29
- New Company reviews please 528 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 298 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 198 2
- VAT with Russia 204 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 230 4
- Money Laundering Manual 299 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 239 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,107 29
- directors loan 345 8
- Holiday pay calculator for client use? 370 4
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 292
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 242
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 237
- Any thoughts on Capium? 221
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 216
- auto enrolment 184
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 174
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 151
- How to account for investment in JV? 148
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 147