Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Have i messed up? 601 10
- rates of pay query 174 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 104 7
- Year end 332 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 181 3
- Comments on this scenario 55 1
- Related Parties Note 406 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 68 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 114 4
- loss on carbon credits 95 2
- New HMRC phone answering method ... 554 9
- SAGE con 174 3
- Dazed & confused 155 2
- Goodwill ammortisation 230 2
- Overpayment relief claim 121 4
- How to prepare and Finalize Vat company accounts 227 9
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,533 63
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 510 28
- Charity reserves 116 2
- Aggressive HMRC 1,527 16
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,003
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 543
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 359
- Tax efficient holding company structure 286
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 271
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 209
- Charge out rates in London? 206
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 180
- Personal consumption by landlord 178
- Interest on Loan to a Company 172