Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 135 7
- Threshold for RTI submission 61 2
- Joint rental income 17 1
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,548 24
- Online filing 30 2
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 274 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 99 4
- Auto enrolment 361 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 310 3
- Share swap 250 6
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 90 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 165 2
- Was I rude 571 16
- Top slicing relief question no 2 134 3
- Maternity Pay 141 2
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 581 14
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 627 10
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 60 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,723 27
- Director's minimum wage? 243 4
- Skandia using wrong address 1,472
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 801
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 438
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 410
- Sale of business 378
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 272
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 187
- Expenses claim for non employee 177