Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,015 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 240 2
- Dental practice incorpration 105 1
- Audit rules 150 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 222 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 810 20
- Go Cardless 256 8
- business entertaining deductibility 118 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 131 2
- R & D 101 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 72 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 107 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 152 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 148 1
- New Business Registration 212 5
- Hosted email exchange 129 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 145 1
- G P life time allowance 113 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 372 11
- Bringing money to Uk 216 3
- Xtuple 501
- Qtac payroll for bureau 335
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 280
- Industrial & Provident Societies 276
- Mehjoo 220
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 170
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 154
- CIS schemes 149