Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- Dividend dates 539 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 95 3
- Sole properietor 136 4
- transitioning payroll 213 8
- dividend proposals 68 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 211 2
- Deduction from Salary 275 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 170 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,695 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 73 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 426 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 154 2
- 12 Pay Problems 243 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 237 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 85 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 477 13
- VAT - Recharge 92 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 352 4
- Legal title not in the company name 233 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 270
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 174