Home working expenses Limited Company
My client, an architect operates through a limited company.
He has business premises but for some of the year has worked some of the time from his own house on design work for clients.
I'm intending to make a deduction from the limited company as an expense as follows:
Take the proportion of that room used for business as a proportion of the whole house living space X for the number of days so used /365 and apply that:
Heat and lighting cost.
Council tax cost. (Bit unsure on this because do not want to incur business rates ?)
Then invoice this cost from himself to his limited company, therefore reducing his CT profits by this amount.
Include the invoice as income in his personal tax return but offset by the same amount of expense.
Not sure if I may be better off using the HMRC Rate of £4 / week but thats not likely to cover actual costs.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but I would be very grateful to hear if this has generally been done by any Acc Web fellow accountants or if it is just likely to generate more bother than its worth.
- get an accountant not an unqulified accounting clerk 89 8
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 205 3
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 68 1
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 55 2
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 496 13
- CGT history of shares 191 4
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 149 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 208 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 340 6
- CGT on sale of let property 131 2
- how do i get UTR 156 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 96 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 247 3
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 147 1
- Your comments please 322 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 201 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 138 2
- EIS 200 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 141 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 120 2
- Moving away from CCH software 970
- QROP pension input amounts 454
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 399
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 385
- fraud 307
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 286
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 247
- Construction CIS LLP Company 232
- EPS and CIS deductions 226
- Out of time or not? 213