Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- SATR - ommission of capital gains 72 1
- Recourse to Accountant for incorrect accounts 2,260 19
- Scanners 168 4
- Overdrawn Directors Loan Account 83 1
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 158 5
- Solar panels - VAT and Capital allowances 232 3
- Recharge for private use of a company car 402 9
- Payment plans for clients 121 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 227 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 242 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 390 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 446 9
- P60 or payslips? 95 1
- Property income in different capacities 107 1
- IHT dilemma 1,382 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 191 1
- IT advisory questions? 179 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 795 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 146 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 528 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,159
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 798
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 488
- Digita Hosted Software 320
- Credit where credit's due....... 272
- Director phone costs 236
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 226
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 201
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 155
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 137