Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- AIA or IFA 372 7
- Surely not? 281 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 595 9
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 188 8
- Start up allowance? 262 10
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,263 38
- Running two businesses from the same premises 306 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 326 7
- Late Registration for VAT 323 11
- Old CGT loss 135 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 232 5
- Nominal Ledger of Company Accounts 267 10
- Share structures 115 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,093 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 307 5
- Business rates consultancy 199 3
- Capitalisation - Scanning Files 158 4
- Are HMRC staff on early 513 7
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 186 2
- Tax on income from discretionary trust in SATR 204 9
- TheTax Donut 1,041
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 684
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 627
- Follower cases 491
- Limited company purchase of property 429
- Hive up 422
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 394
- corporate hierarchy 386
- LIVE chat, starting now 342
- Advice - 194