Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,486 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 160 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 111 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 301 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 239 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,240 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 374 6
- Go Cardless 389 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 336 3
- Mehjoo 339 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 164 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 419 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 201 4
- SA302 351 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 298 13
- Bringing money to Uk 306 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 223 4
- Hmrc software 267 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 208 1
- Hosted email exchange 197 5
- Xtuple 526
- Qtac payroll for bureau 358
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 302
- Industrial & Provident Societies 295
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 239
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 218
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 217
- Domain name sale and limited company 185
- CIS schemes 180
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 158