Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Accounts Software 707 19
- practice planning 145 3
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 237 9
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 498 14
- Dividend Vouchers 375 5
- Gift to employee 413 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 162 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 147 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,115 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 187 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 158 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,665 10
- Which address 1,078 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 613 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,522 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,227 44
- R&D tax claim 264 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 553 9
- Tax Allowance on University Course 208 1
- Transfer of a business 132 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 489
- CTA study material 464
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 339
- Pre incorp expenses 323
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 274
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 265
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 214
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 169
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 129