Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- CIS 264 6
- Rental holiday in lieu of repairs 189 2
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,217 17
- Mixture of online and offline SA returns 274 5
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 430 6
- VAT - Medical Staff 169 2
- Vat on construction of residential property 1,130 13
- Really?! 860 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,385 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 659 15
- VAT 701/49 query 236 2
- backpack 339 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 198 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 285 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 356 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 202 3
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 201 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 204 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 172 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 261 6
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 709
- 2015 tax year end 442
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 418
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 361
- Costly Accounting Software contract 317
- Directors' advances and credits 262
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 257
- DTA tie-breaker issue 239
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 224
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 204