Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Limited company buying a car 136 4
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 253 15
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 456 10
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 540 6
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 164 7
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 286 4
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 105 2
- ACCA practice certificates 492 5
- Limited company buying director's car 286 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 72 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 86 1
- WC's and capital allowances 172 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 300 13
- Dress code 1,545 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 475 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 255 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 376 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 471 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 181 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 105 3
- CTA study material 767
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 477
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 396
- Employment related securities question 308
- AIM Stocks and IHT 279
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 257
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 174
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 147