Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,005 404
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 181 12
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 751 33
- Saying goodbye 87 2
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 270 4
- VAT registration for self employed dentist??? 578 22
- Warning of enforcement action - without any warnings 227 4
- Naming new company 64 3
- Expenses prior to Startup date for startup 133 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 365 4
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 708 6
- Tax on private fuel for own car 155 4
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,636 9
- Will this AIA be disallowed when asset transferred to Ltd Co 230 11
- How to pursue fraudulent trading 188 3
- Drop box Storage 98 1
- How good is OCRREX Auto Rec software? 306 8
- Personal allowance for a resident of both Belgium and UK? 226 13
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,346 22
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 215 3
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,264
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 452
- National Insurance 350
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 280
- Non Resident 265
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 257
- Franchise income and costs 233
- Hands on experience of Digita 188
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 171
- Employer's Helpline 142