Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Copy Wanted 600 1
- Might income tax be payable on these gifts? 40 2
- How Long does it take to get an Agent ID 52 2
- Private Residence Relief after gift 58 3
- Software 280 7
- Companies House late filing penalties 2,374 81
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 441 16
- Buy to let property : Is parking bay tax deductible ? 237 5
- When is golf coaching a vatable supply? 152 2
- Comany ceasing to trade 129 2
- French resident, split year & UK close company dividends 109 1
- Closing a limited company 164 5
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 121 2
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 126 3
- Window Comb Binder Cover 351 6
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 419 23
- Broadband costs 208 2
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 305 11
- Use of home deduction 454 14
- Non resident income. 217 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 851
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 535
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 506
- Latest phishing scam 392
- Entrepreneurs' relief 372
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 325
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 309
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 297
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 207
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 183