Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- error on companies house accounts 727 18
- RTI penalties 83 1
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 514 7
- Bookkeeping software for cafe and VAT 142 2
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 308 5
- US Sales Tax 112 1
- Does SMP and SPP go up if leave goes across 2 tax years? 368 15
- Anti- Money Laundering - CIMA Practising Certification Application 199 3
- Simplified auto enrolment? 141 1
- Group Relief 130 4
- R&D Credits 104 1
- Is the annual Money Laundering Payment tax allowable 250 7
- VAT Reg.for sole trader with 2 S/E 126 2
- Clients 682 14
- Advice needed on my practice but not my clients 320 4
- Leaving the flat rate scheme 137 3
- Starting new accounting business 300 5
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 464 10
- Sage Payroll 121 1
- SAGE 50 - Invoice Date 119 2
- QROP pension input amounts 501
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 482
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 445
- EPS and CIS deductions 299
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 291
- Construction CIS LLP Company 284
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 249
- Lets hear it for HMRC! 206
- SAGE winforecast 204
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 187