Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Setting up PAYE scheme without UTR 180 4
- VAT Query 142 2
- Overlap relief 687 17
- Budget 2015 - take two 145 2
- Sacked my first client 586 14
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 380 9
- Accounts note disclosure - Directors 191 4
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 2,243 24
- Share transfer question 245 9
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 600 11
- Trades and deadlines 112 3
- How to pay national insurance 639 18
- New Website Look 1,065 29
- Accounting for buying off bank 250 11
- Indemnity question re IR35? 216 5
- Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 255 Comm Auto 2 seat 149 4
- Marketing and email surprises 341 7
- Am I too soft? 451 13
- HMRC & daft penalty 2,215 16
- Humour me...worrying without need? 307 2
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 424
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 417
- WIP Software 284
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 283
- CGT, PPR and transfer of equity to spouse. 216
- No payroll scheme in place 213
- Software recommendations 193
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 193
- Is there anything wrong with this? 184
- Free project management software with Gantt charts, preferably on-line 182