Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Limited Company trading status. 117 3
- Collecting cash on behalf of another business 79 2
- Alphabet shares dividend paperwork 54 1
- Tax relief for backdated pension contributions 29 1
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 266 1
- A very basic T9 or T0 Question... 127 3
- Is there a requirement to clearly state the amount of a bill? 148 2
- Dividends 181 2
- How much to charge? 586 9
- Two questions re client meetings and TR Fees 173 3
- Network marketing client - how does it work? 198 6
- Charity recouping VAT via a separate company 698 4
- cold file reviewer needed 96 1
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 728 10
- HMRC Getting Extra Tough? 1,195 10
- Auto Enrolment - Again I assume 1,384 14
- Companies House iphone app - alternatives? 158 2
- Retained Earnings - loss 228 10
- break even point 878 23
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 423 3
- Possible Partnership? 500
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 474
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 454
- New Fangled Penalties 289
- Clubs and Taxable Income 250
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 249
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 240
- Loans to other companies 187
- Tasbook email configuration 175
- Accomodation and travel 167