Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Please tell me what to do!! 418 12
- VAT on exports to EU 110 5
- 5th April 375 16
- s455 Directors loan 251 4
- Desperate IFAs and Auto-enrolment Scare stories 607 24
- Company buy back of shares from directors 226 11
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,999 33
- Cash basis 152 5
- Cash basis 810 28
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 287 2
- Investor exit 257 4
- client threatening legal action 2,332 31
- When & How much of Income to recognise 147 2
- What are the options for writing off a Directors Credit balance 249 3
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 352 14
- Undeclared rental income 2,601 23
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 343 9
- Rental income 180 2
- Insurance for Company Ltd. by Guarantee 79 1
- Incorrect penalty warning letters sent 1,199 8
- Skandia using wrong address 617
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 328
- Employee rewards 310
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 275
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 239
- Etax Australian 200
- LLP in Construction Industry 165
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 155
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 145
- Re-submitting CT600 on paper 141