Horror story that could happen to anyone.
We've recently had a real horror story brought to our attention. Briefly the facts are -
- Agent prepares and submits accounts/return for sub-contractor.
- Few weeks later HMRC pay refund into agents bank.
- 3 days later agent deducts £280 fee for accounts and transfers balance into clients bank account.
- A few months later client alleges he never received refund and threatens agent.
- Agents bank statements clearly show monies in and out and all bank details are correct - client refuses to allow examination of his bank statements but bank confirms transfer did go into his account.
- Client then arrives at agents home and threatens agent with physical violence and police called to remove him.
- Client then rings HMRC and repeats allegations to them.
- After becoming aware of this the agent writes to HMRC even enclosing copies of his bank statements proving payment made.
- Despite this absolute proof HMRC then "pull" all the agents clients, freeze all refunds, and start writing direct to agents clients.
- Effectively agent put out of business by malicious false accusations of one demonstrably deranged client.
The agent quite rightly is seeking damages and compensation from HMRC for unlawful restraint of trade, and, wants the client arrested for his attempted extortion.
Personally whilst the client is clearly an idiot, the behaviour of HMRC in this is unforgivable.
I'm currently formulating claims for the agent to file against both HMRC and the (ex) client.
Has anyone experienced or come across anything like this before ?
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 493 16
- EC VAT 189 7
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 268 13
- s.755 ITA 2007 Gains on transactions in land 125 2
- Who picks up the slack? 1,350 8
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 233 6
- VAT on part of a closed pub 229 14
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 47 1
- HMRC corporation tax software - how to enter negative expense 268 8
- Dispensation pointless ? 523 14
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 815 19
- Flat rate vat error 294 6
- can I claim a per diem 227 4
- Underpaid taxes included in tax code connundrum 143 3
- Linux Accounting Software 556 13
- RTI due -no broadband 140 1
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 473 12
- Shareholders selling shares to shareholders, how to account for it? 95 1
- Is Hold over relief available? 113 4
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 894 10
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 820
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 500
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 315
- How to format a stock book 279
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 224
- Tax efficient holding company structure 218
- Investment property company accounts template 213
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 207
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 179
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 177