How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Introduction of Goodwill 402 10
- Professional Clearance 155 5
- do i pay vat when buying a business 203 14
- Zero Rated Catering delivery charges 90 4
- are receipts needed? 358 12
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 608 21
- New accountant 503 9
- Santander Scrip Dividend Scheme 219 3
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,057 67
- Sage Instant cash based flat rate 121 3
- Working out a daily rate 306 7
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 602 9
- Loss Relief 146 2
- Tax case reference request 229 3
- How to? 160 1
- Cheque alternative - letter to HMRC re undeclared income 196 1
- Amending prior year accounts for the first time? 1,418 25
- Unusual Self Employment Expense Claims? 523 6
- Loan notes payment of principal and interest 121 2
- HMRC VAT misstatement disclosure 230 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,591
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 886
- International interest certificate 495
- NOVA 351
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 275
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 256
- Management expenses for investment company 244
- Bonus Bonds 242
- Help with tax codes on Sage 188
- Capital reduction 173