How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Buying a company for £20,000 from owner how it works? 488 8
- Seeking advice: Retired self employed working from home 279 3
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 294 12
- Moneysoft Payroll 214 4
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 129 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 930 20
- Seeking advice: Do you pay tax on donations if you are not a registered charity? 261 4
- Practicing without a Practicing Certificate 943 14
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 186 4
- Client right to working papers 1,548 11
- vat gross margins 192 2
- Employer PAYE Refund 217 4
- e mail 234 1
- Auto enrolment 582 9
- HMRC Debt collectors 1,361 6
- VAT on new build property 168 2
- Auto enrolment 302 9
- SAGE 50 2011 166 1
- Are there any auto-enrolment engagement letter templates? 1,639 36
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 1,883 22
- NHS finance professionals 672
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 413
- Foreign Pension Contribution 384
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 371
- vat gross profit percentage margins 368
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 355
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 315
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 285
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 245
- IFA income recognition & reporting 215