How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Fees 25 1
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 180 6
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 49 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 217 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 153 2
- Non VAT invoices 56 1
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 213 7
- Form 17 Download 62 1
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,331 31
- Claiming VAT on car lease 530 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 363 4
- HMRC Information notice 977 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 259 3
- Accountant Specialization. 360 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,734 42
- Sage Line 50 160 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 159 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 427 6
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 387 7
- Seafarer's Earnings Deduction 157 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 751
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 410
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 362
- Electric Car 297
- S222 Charge 242
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 199
- IP trans to holding company 192
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 179
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 172
- AIA 171