How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 163 5
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 305 6
- Spam blocking 340 22
- A little silliness 184 2
- Splitting PAYE tax code between two jobs both with variable hours 80 3
- How long to process paper 64-8 (SA)? 75 1
- Just for fun. 787 26
- HMRC & daft penalty 599 6
- TOMS - the other side of the fence 125 2
- &^$%ing Mollom? 196 2
- Employment status 254 4
- Has auto-enrolment tipped the scales? 108 1
- P11D help 96 2
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 141 4
- Contract Hire Van, reclaiming input VAT 130 1
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,710 12
- HMRC Email 381 6
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 259 10
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,392 21
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 244 6
- Theatre Tax Relief 485
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 381
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 374
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 348
- Perkbox 313
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 308
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 273
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 271
- Document Management Systems 253
- WIP Software 236