How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 309 15
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 920 44
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,249 417
- Is this fraud? 499 12
- Likely interaction of new Onshore Employment Intermediaries Act with IR35 ? 52 1
- Furnished lettings criteria 258 4
- Sole trader - Normal Bank account used for business? 25 1
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 152 4
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 143 1
- Naming new company 303 6
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 485 20
- Saying goodbye 529 14
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 131 1
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 192 4
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 646 5
- Pension Contributions Relief 395 12
- Revaluation of investment proeprty 90 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 791 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,485 31
- Tax on private fuel for own car 222 5
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,281
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 457
- National Insurance 354
- Non Resident 273
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 265
- Franchise income and costs 243
- Hands on experience of Digita 205
- Employer's Helpline 151
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 151
- employment capital allowances 142