How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 159 3
- Dispensation pointless ? 287 5
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 221 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 168 6
- SME Direct Debit 665 11
- Accountant software 433 13
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,023 23
- What aspects of accountancy/book-keeping most trouble people 169 3
- Accounting jobs in the UK 152 2
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 232 1
- CIS gross status review 109 1
- Notes needed for a new partner in an LLP 130 2
- Dividend payments to spouses 367 6
- Flat rate vat error 248 5
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 100 1
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 152 4
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 369 8
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 647 17
- Accountant Pays Clients Tax 611 11
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 208 4
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 758
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 485
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 300
- How to format a stock book 266
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 214
- Tax efficient holding company structure 204
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 198
- Investment property company accounts template 192
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 174
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 164