How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Professional coaching claimable? 94 1
- Sage instant account codes 124 1
- Networking 140 1
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 265 4
- Mobile phones, directors of micro-companies 181 1
- Turnover on a tax return 309 8
- incorrect old p60 452 11
- Cashflow forecasting software 304 4
- Letter to HMRC over 3 months ago, still no reply 1,933 19
- Companies House paper incorporation - date of birth omission 295 4
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 252 3
- VAT refund 190 1
- Is there an AIA calculator anywhere 264 1
- Reclaiming VAT on refurbishment cost? 270 3
- Missing tax return 397 4
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,129 30
- Inflation and fees 1,412 24
- Sage Priority Support 193 3
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 847 24
- Micro-entity accounts 320 1