How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Closing my business down 70 4
- What do you all do in your spare time? 839 34
- New ACCOUNTINGQUESTIONS website launching 267 6
- JUDGE FRAUD ALERT 261 4
- VAT on long lease in comercial property that has opted to Tax 191 6
- Director - earning less than £8500 and no taxable benefits - PllD? 93 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 586 12
- Scams are not always obvious 2,240 36
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,466 21
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 186 2
- VAT flat rate scheme 98 1
- Can I record depreciation, prepayments and accrued expenses in cash accounting? 286 4
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 85 1
- I have let a client go as it wasnt worth the hassle, 2,092 19
- TaxCalc - A Return to Form 411 6
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 149 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 219 3
- FPS or EPS 167 2
- Continuity of Practice 218 2
- IRIS Professional Yearend 142 2
- Moving away from CCH software 953
- QROP pension input amounts 440
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 382
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 357
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 325
- fraud 284
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 259
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 228
- Construction CIS LLP Company 212
- EPS and CIS deductions 200