How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Coding Notice 59 1
- Free invoicing software 80 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 292 17
- New business - journal entries 203 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 534 15
- CIS deductions against the wrong UTR 239 7
- Why should I retain membership? 2,547 43
- Looking for BIK v mileage comparison software 153 2
- Capitalised professional fees - with no corresponding asset 399 4
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 658 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 331 4
- Trade name 73 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 181 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 114 3
- Employee shareholder contracts 104 1
- Lettings expenses 111 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 359 12
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 339 11
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 306 9
- PAYE 463 12
- Auto enrolment excuses 737
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 700
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 376
- Social investment tax relief 195
- Digita Hosted Software 188
- Call Centre Data Costs 186
- option to tax 168
- VAT on deposits 162
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 150
- Travel costs and contractors 138