How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,176 47
- What happens to the director's loan if the company was to go into liquidation? 34 1
- Telephone call from "Xero" 425 5
- Error on SA Tax Return 118 3
- dividend 165 10
- Purchase of shares in a Limited Company 125 5
- Repairs or Improvement? 254 5
- Credit Card Payment - What are we required to do? 177 3
- Irish Taxation 143 4
- Now the phishers have baited their hooks with SAGE 314 2
- Self assessment tax arrears 515 6
- Drector renting room to company 96 1
- Off site storage 157 5
- Is Accountancy Becoming like an Insurance Policy 600 6
- Anyone know about Cloud-Based Practice Management Software? 252 7
- Industrial & Provident Societies 350 1
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 241 3
- Auto-enrolment - Fees 334 4
- Self assesment losses 324 8
- RTI and s18 ITEPA 176 3
- Xtuple 567
- Qtac payroll for bureau 388
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 343
- Domain name sale and limited company 233
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 212
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 210
- Investment 206
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 183
- Tax on damages received 182
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 152