How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 615 14
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 994 48
- Tier One Tribunal 251 12
- Money Laundering and handover 111 1
- Does a UK LTD pay Corporation Tax before sending dividend to Holding Company? 156 3
- New starter error how to correct 116 2
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 257 4
- Summer house for business only 234 2
- Taxi Plate & Car 203 5
- Dividends out of profit where P&L bfwd is in deficit 187 4
- SA316s 254 4
- Director with lots of personal expenses 138 2
- LEL and PAYE registration 142 2
- Filing amended tax return 149 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 855 26
- Prompt Payment Discount (PPD) Vat 2015 - CREDIT PRIOR INVOICE 127 1
- Pooled cars legislation unfairly punitive 151 2
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 271 5
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 183 2
- Another transfer of property 172 2
- Construction CIS LLP Company 615
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 601
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 390
- Pensions Regulator 360
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 298
- RTI - duplicate employee record 273
- Using the correct forms 272
- SA penalty proposals 261
- Accelerated payment notices 241
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 240