How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 547 11
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 180 5
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 266 6
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 151 2
- Capital Gain? 519 14
- Sell business after leaving country 156 2
- How much to charge? 282 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 193 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 647 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 249 2
- break even point 601 18
- Simple consolidation question 143 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 397 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,010 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 409 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 213 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 308 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 203 4
- IHT Query 264 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 449 2
- Possible Partnership? 470
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 445
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 432
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 237
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 232
- New Fangled Penalties 226
- Clubs and Taxable Income 223
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 219
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 197
- Loans to other companies 171