How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,239 8
- RTI and corrections to payroll 1,226 13
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 964 29
- You know its over 359 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 499 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 233 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 187 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 169 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 268 3
- Cocaine anyone? 520 8
- Late Registration for VAT 495 13
- EIS/SEIS 152 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 280 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 427 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 431 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 727 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 563 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 598 4
- Personal pension 405 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 225 1
- Hive up 492
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 461
- corporate hierarchy 442
- Advice - 274
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 227
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 209
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 205
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 184
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 176