How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Partnership Registration 14 1
- Would this save hours of your time? 643 12
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 851 35
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 59 1
- Audit Required 1,165 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 288 9
- Residential Management Companies 61 2
- Value pricing 2,837 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 383 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 372 11
- Payroll software for Mac 113 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 95 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 210 5
- CIS and Close Company 195 6
- LLP members share of profits 630 32
- Late P800 demand shows later year? 422 20
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 134 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 95 1
- Registered Office 97 2
- Winding up a beneficiary will trust 108 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 935
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 658
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 388
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 329
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 253
- Paye procedures for CVA 244
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 241
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 189
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 183
- Pension Fixed Protection 181