How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 57 3
- Corrupt Excel File 648 10
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 310 4
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 60 1
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,934 43
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,155 39
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 263 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 341 7
- Personal Tax 369 10
- Xerocon 2016 912 18
- Disengagement Help! 1,587 24
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 86 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 172 4
- last minute request 419 5
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,224 46
- Practical experience 891 16
- Rent a Relief for small husband and wife run guesthouse 266 2
- Mortgage Reference 285 2
- Entrepreneurs relief after enhancement 204 3
- Buy Samsung Galaxy Note 5 459 9