How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- MAAT vs ACCA 547 11
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,351 39
- Flat rate VAT 273 6
- Redundancy pay for directors? 1,187 15
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,767 72
- CRM systems? 76 2
- Accountancy Career 541 13
- Help with HMRC investigation 514 9
- Vat on Payments on Account 122 3
- Estate agents - shared commission 199 5
- Yorkshire Day 359 25
- E-Magazines and pdfs 80 1
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 921 25
- Deleted question? 286 3
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 1,180 22
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 106 5
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 112 3
- calculation DTR restriction 155 4
- Company Limited Liability vs Public Liability Insruance 75 1
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 194 4
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 558
- Cancelled 443
- Cancelled 371
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 368
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 345
- Probiz 344
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 249
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 222
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 213
- More spam 173