How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 136 8
- Auto Enrolment 15 1
- will this work for IHT 296 3
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 177 3
- Gifting Shares to a Limited Company 183 2
- Online or Paper 64-8? 379 7
- Notes on related parties 106 4
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 286 2
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 313 4
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 560 12
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 606 6
- Anyone having problems with Taxfiler 584 20
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 425 8
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 454 9
- Tax Planning for Family and Owner-Managed Companies 2015/16 589 9
- iris update 11.9.2 397 6
- Sports Sponsorship 254 2
- Paid too much !! 512 3
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 140 3
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 260 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 774
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 457
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 277
- DTA tie-breaker issue 265
- CGT for NOn UK residents 228
- Apprenticeship Levy 204
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 198
- Capital Gains personal representatives 185
- Just checking re PSA 180
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 173