How to account for no sales records
A sole trader t/a mot garage / vehicle repairs has approached me to prepare the annual accounts and tax return. No records of sales have been recorded for the full year, other than debit/credit card payments paid into the bank and also cheques from customers paid in with a paying in book with no details (no cash paid in to the bank from customers).
The business deals with quite a lot of cash because staff wages are paid via cash and I would say 60 to 70% of purchases as well.
How would other practitioners / accountants / technicians or bookkeepers deal with this?
As no balance sheet is required and HMRC were not very helpful the only way I can think of to prepare a profit and loss would be to:-
Create a cash book from the bank statements.
List all the purchases and expenses from the invoices then match any that have been paid via the bank.
As the business has no credit terms with it's suppliers and pays on delivery (out of choice), the difference between what has been paid via the bank and the full value of the purchases should be the cash paid out, therefore the cash received as sales; excluding profit.
Add this cash sales amount to the identified sales in the bank receipts, then add any other known cash payments for instance wages, drawings etc again adding this to the sales.
The only thing missing (I think) would be the profit which would there be an average gross profit for this particular business that I can use?
Any opinions please, tell me if I am just completely wrong here.
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,397 47
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 322 7
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 157 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 427 12
- Share premium or Directors Loan 728 30
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 103 3
- What would you do in this situation? 128 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 129 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 601 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 629 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 84 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 340 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 241 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 218 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 384 6
- NOVA 550 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 271 10
- Regional Development Grant 120 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,402 21
- Company car without a salary 229 2
- Bonus Bonds 390
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 377
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 288
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 257
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 186
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 177
- Finance Lease 155
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 147
- Demerger Reserve 130