How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Cater Allen Commission 114 3
- How do I complain about an FCCA accountant 206 4
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 702 20
- Fees for dealing with auto-enrolment 86 1
- VAT on 'educational' services - UK and overseas 56 1
- Ceasing to trade when legal action being taken.. 220 2
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 57 1
- Sage 2010 data corruption 114 5
- Classic cars investment 140 3
- online book keeping systems - what happens after you stop paying? 486 13
- Sage at it again? 353 5
- BrightPay 509 13
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 188 5
- Is this a scam? 1,582 27
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 148 5
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 406 6
- S455 457 21
- client issues 325 4
- Capital Gain? 362 9
- Splitting rental income on jointly owned property 182 2
- Benchmarking 466
- Possible Partnership? 414
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 401
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 387
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 331
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 194
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 176
- Income tax on foreign dividends 171
- Clubs and Taxable Income 169
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 165