How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 4,095 16
- P&L Treatment of property assets 55 2
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 733 36
- CGT on spouse's death 261 11
- Tax relief for networking day out? 457 12
- VAT on non-denominated postage 57 2
- Starting Again 262 11
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 627 19
- CT101 Completion 127 1
- Non resident pension withdrawal 146 2
- Mortgage Adviser's request 279 6
- P11D Software 776 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 201 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 269 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 394 10
- Payroll software 188 4
- Company UTR numbers 306 6
- Summer house for business only 154 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 129 1
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 167 3
- Construction CIS LLP Company 596
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 581
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 381
- Pensions Regulator 347
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 284
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 251
- RTI - duplicate employee record 241
- Accelerated payment notices 229
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 216