How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 642 5
- See you all on the other side 692 6
- 12Pay 458 2
- dividends 609 2
- R&D 317 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,181 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 440 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 414 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 373 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 545 5
- Seeking a tax case 642 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 505 4
- Companies house strike off 550 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 429 2
- Moving to the cloud 745 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 216 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 904 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 210 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,092 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 501 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 562
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 420
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 373
- IRIS and FRS 102 354
- Capitalising Finance Lease 327
- USA help 317
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 297
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 293
- Marginal rates of tax 293
- Class 2 NI 277