How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Awkward insolvency practitioner 551 6
- 27,000 Really? 1,061 33
- Legal title not in the company name 770 23
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 65 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 75 1
- This is getting boring 588 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 234 7
- pension paid by company? 91 3
- inheritance tax 401 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 328 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 222 4
- State pension 290 3
- Accountancy Career 114 1
- CIC Company 655 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,817 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,279 66
- Deduction from Salary 641 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 432 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,691 16
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 394
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 334
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 307
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 278
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 252
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 222