How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Which address 1,039 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 563 20
- MS Surface Pro 3 70 1
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,468 17
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,056 35
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,200 44
- R&D tax claim 248 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 523 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 178 7
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 129 2
- Gift to employee 373 12
- Tax Allowance on University Course 163 1
- Transfer of a business 126 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,138 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 415 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 117 2
- Sage Import Data 312 6
- Slight twist on employment related securities 245 1
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 134 2
- Best time software for small practice? 238 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 482
- CTA study material 456
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 335
- Pre incorp expenses 313
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 270
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 255
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 208
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 161
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 143
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 135