How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Merry Christmas 57 1
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,042 12
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 58 2
- Anyone else still working this week? 396 13
- Childcare vouchers 333 7
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,407 9
- Using home as clients registered address 111 3
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 511 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 100 2
- How much does the company pay 698 30
- AIA 284 18
- Van Benefit in Kind Query 173 5
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 257 2
- I have done a terrible thing 779 15
- HMRC property income enquiry 361 8
- Not paying accountant 1,869 46
- Cash basis VAT return 103 1
- VAT on Business Premises 102 2
- Consolidation Software 145 2
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,213 32
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 504
- corporate hierarchy 468
- Advice - 320
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 271
- WWOOFers 260
- The booking.com con 243
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 237
- Cocaine anyone? 225
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 215
- UK State pension paid in NZ 176