How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Incorporation Relief 88 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 61 2
- change of office address 75 3
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 340 4
- Unallocated client money 194 6
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 100 1
- Quick Easy Quote 205 3
- Furniture Rental Business 73 2
- Client Death 535 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 172 4
- Moving into own BTL property - allowable costs 348 2
- Are Bursaries Taxable 83 2
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 318 1
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 146 3
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 407 5
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,928 38
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 968 15
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 349 5
- VAT On Conference Sponsorship 132 2
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 214 6
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 598
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 473
- Sorry ignore me 370
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 277
- Cancelled 238
- Cancelled 206
- Bartercard 170
- C79 Discrepancy 165
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 158