How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- General tax book with planning 143 2
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,196 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 280 11
- Gift of property & improvements 111 2
- Error in past Corporate tax return 339 5
- VAT Invoice 130 4
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 802 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 127 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 215 3
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 180 7
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 149 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 446 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 371 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 254 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 182 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 258 4
- Accounting for a finance lease 163 4
- SA302's anyone?? 535 16
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 1,643 41
- Renting for military reasons 193 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,620
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 901
- International interest certificate 510
- NOVA 368
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 294
- Management expenses for investment company 263
- Bonus Bonds 261
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 172
- tax on apprenticeship income 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 149