How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 671 18
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 276 4
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 271 10
- Love is in the air 596 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,058 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 377 4
- Setting up a practice 526 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 542 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 496 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 402 1
- Stamp Duty 301 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 240 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,821 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 718 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 393 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 586 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 592 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 415 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 404 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 464 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 305
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 296
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- Foreign domicile status 261
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 257
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 242
- Apprenticeship Levy 242
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 226
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 225