How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Value pricing 207 8
- Audit Required 86 2
- company secretarial software 134 2
- Tax repayment for 2013-14 120 3
- Elective DeductionsModel 59 1
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 186 1
- Rental Income 296 6
- Payroll 2012/13 100 1
- I have a pain 689 6
- Sale of assets - availability of AIA to the purchaser 76 1
- convert directors loan account to share capital 167 5
- Anyone else seen incorrect tax code notices - rather worring! 728 17
- Belated VAT Exception Application 117 3
- Cash flow 144 2
- New use of home - simplified method 233 4
- CGT and PPR and Lettings Relief? 264 5
- 2 year rule? Self employed. 388 13
- How long is filing an FPS meant to take ? 1,951 32
- Share restructure 334 12
- Liquidation of Subsiduary 152 4
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 730
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 499
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 343
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 341
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 262
- VAT on Gaming Machines 210
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 198
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 182
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 174
- Director Loan account operation 146