How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,171 41
- Flat Rate VAT 244 8
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 705 15
- Practice software 1,183 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 310 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 535 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 491 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 235 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 569 8
- Redundancy pay 323 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 235 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 262 5
- Servicing AE fees 184 2
- VAT Receipts 275 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 165 2
- P800 problems again 121 1
- Company accounts for £350 992 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 443 12
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 157 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 237 5
- FRS 101 Software 338
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 308
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 299
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 274
- French ConnectionUK 241
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 216
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 203
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 202
- APN's 187
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 184