How allowable is interest on a loan taken out after property purchase?
I have a client who has taken out a substantial loan. He rents out property but the loan is not secured on any particular property. There are no other loans.
What are the conditions to “link” the loan to the rented property?
I’m aware of the possibility of withdrawing property capital a/c by way of a loan and getting relief for the interest on the loan up to the value of the capital a/c.
Can any loan be linked and deemed as a loan for the purchase of the property? Given that the loan is taken out several years after the initial purchase, there is no actual flow of funds from the loan to the purchase of the property. It all seems rather nebulous, so I’m struggling to see how one can say “this loan is for the withdrawal of the capital from this rented property”. Or to put it another way, what would prevent a loan being linked?
By the way, the initial purchase was not funded by any loans.
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 75 1
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 425 24
- what time is it ? 261 3
- VAT on disbursement 161 2
- Business Christmas Greetings 988 18
- tax credits 195 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,030 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 80 1
- LLP - Member leaving 185 6
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 733 21
- Year end 244 3
- Foreign income for self employed 169 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 299 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 314 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,143 14
- Tax Return Deadlines 244 4
- accruals and prepayments please help anyone out there 614 21
- How would you account for warranty? 181 4
- Sweet Tooth 232 6
- CA self-employed income below personal allowance 210 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 901
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 524
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 335
- How to format a stock book 316
- Tax efficient holding company structure 254
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 246
- Investment property company accounts template 229
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 195
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 180
- Charge out rates in London? 155