How to avoid Child Benefit Tax Charge

Child benefit can be claimed by people who are not the main carer – see Let us suppose the claimant would have to pay the Child Benefit Tax Charge and the grandparent’s income is below £50,000. My understanding is the grandparent could claim Child Benefit provided they pay the whole lot over for the upkeep of the child. The claimant wouldn’t have to be a grandparent – could be anyone provided they pay the whole of the money over. Would this work?

There are 2 comments. Login or register to view them.

I'd imagine that there'll be

cyrynpen |

You'd have thought that they'd have thought of this one!

Steve Kesby |
Steve Kesby's picture