How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Getting hassle from client 14 1
- Corporation tax on gains from one company to another 291 11
- Can anyone recommend a fax send/receive service which I can use via email? 237 7
- Rowing Machine - allowable company asset? 94 2
- Entrepreneur's Relief - Disposal over a period of time 188 3
- Late RTI filing re SMP 125 3
- Self Help Accountancy Book for Client 185 3
- VAT registration on digital services supplied outside UK within EU 104 6
- Additional information attached to accounts 209 2
- CIS Software 127 1
- Company assets 372 16
- MoneySoft 190 2
- Best way to advise a limited company client 105 1
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 665 10
- Payroll cessation and missing overtime 149 2
- Self assessment 158 1
- Claiming VAT 152 2
- Do you have to declare business expenditure on a personal credit card on your P11D? 1,134 15
- VAT on Acquisitions and Exempt Supplier 180 4
- HMRC website & Adobe Reader 280 5
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 506
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 483
- Is there anything wrong with this? 282
- Do subcontractors on work for residential (student accomodation) construction 269
- Uncommercial property business 248
- Apple Employees - RSU vesting and tax witheld 206
- Registering online CWF1 187
- VAT - registration needed? 184
- Accrued income scheme 183
- Zoho software in small accounting and bookkeeping practice 183