How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 140 3
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,068 32
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 148 2
- What would you do in this situation? 658 14
- Dress code 475 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 507 16
- Project being run jointly 204 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 312 4
- Companies House 609 9
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 365 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 733 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,446 25
- Help Required 423 10
- directors control and tax problems 302 5
- Fastest Software 806 13
- What's in a name ? 400 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 312 4
- Bulk Invoicing 192 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 185 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 265 2
- CTA study material 714
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 437
- Employment related securities question 274
- AIM Stocks and IHT 252
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 249
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 225
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 213
- Expat pension contributions? 200
- Trust for Employee 197
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 176