How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,636 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 235 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 321 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 368 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 482 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 120 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 513 1
- Paying Son 614 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 336 7
- HMRC accounting 243 3
- Employers NI allowance 439 6
- Dividend taxation 248 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 153 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 177 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 145 3
- Love is in the air 156 2
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 436 4
- iris update 11.9.2 445 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 271 3
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 680 8
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 273
- CGT for NOn UK residents 269
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 256
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 242
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 228
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 207
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 185