How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Buying a horse?? 100 5
- Audit 280 8
- Awkward IP 1,344 14
- Capital allowances on a 3G Pitch 122 6
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 770 20
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 474 7
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 609 18
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 754 22
- Do I need to pay my accountant 1,002 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,111 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 128 1
- carry back of gift aid 190 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 305 8
- What's in a name ? 1,052 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 922 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 243 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 567 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 250 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 421 6
- Potentially dodgy client 482 3
- CTA study material 790
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 487
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 431
- Employment related securities question 314
- AIM Stocks and IHT 293
- Expat pension contributions? 272
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 265
- Trust for Employee 249
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 208
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 154