How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Invoicing for monthly clients 501 10
- VAT B2B EU service - curious 114 1
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,174 41
- Flat Rate VAT 252 8
- Sage Drive Queue.dta file lock out 708 15
- Practice software 1,188 17
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 315 7
- When to register or not for PAYE 536 11
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 237 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 572 8
- Redundancy pay 324 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 237 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 267 5
- Servicing AE fees 190 2
- VAT Receipts 278 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 174 2
- P800 problems again 128 1
- Company accounts for £350 996 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 449 12
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 163 4
- FRS 101 Software 347
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 308
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 299
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 275
- French ConnectionUK 242
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 218
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 205
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 203
- APN's 187
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 184