How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Rental Property on Self Assessment 128 2
- Partnership returns software 113 2
- ICAEW student, Dilema with client & boss 824 18
- Tasks for new trainees 175 4
- Capital Gains on Inherited Property 286 10
- VAT on garage rent 152 9
- Error or mistake claims (as was) 98 1
- Partnership profit share - tax efficient for husband and wife 171 3
- Property scam victim 327 5
- Has anyone been told of the extra Sage Payroll fees for auto enrolment? 253 6
- How to use importing procedure for Transfers between the bank accounts 68 1
- Have i messed up? 761 11
- Are HMRC getting it right? 429 8
- 10 year debentures and CT 64 1
- Is there a legal obligation for the Inspector to hand over minutes of a meeting 124 2
- Obvious Question but if NOT registered for VAT EU refunds as under minimum amounts, what does an expense get recorded as for UK VAT return? 84 1
- COMPANY DIRECTOR 93 1
- Client using boyfriend's personal account 583 15
- Offshore insurance bonds 112 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,661 46
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,101
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 579
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 387
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 291
- Charge out rates in London? 246
- Interest on Loan to a Company 191
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 176
- Agent fees to sell business 166
- Alphabet shares 164
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 157