How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Gov.UK = NOT OK! 33 1
- Gave wrong info to client about tax due 457 16
- Will I need to resign? 53 1
- Paper tax return 78 3
- Start up allowance? 334 11
- Invest in ''buy to let'' property 1,327 41
- Penalty for late PAYE registration? 223 3
- Fines for filing 12 months of FPS on one submission 158 1
- AIA or IFA 420 7
- Surely not? 417 10
- Batch input of data to Xero - is there an app? 622 9
- Running two businesses from the same premises 353 3
- Working out private usage for a Taxi Driver? 348 7
- Late Registration for VAT 348 11
- Old CGT loss 167 2
- When do consolidated/group accounts needs preparing? 260 5
- Nominal Ledger 339 10
- Share structures 138 5
- It’s our staff Christmas party this week, what did you do for your firm? 2,147 19
- Meal Allowance - Limited Company 338 5