How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- HMRC Post 571 8
- Time to ditch Sage? 417 8
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 165 2
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 438 8
- Fees 447 5
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 509 17
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 284 3
- www.pool.adzio 148 2
- Losses carry forward to self employed 174 2
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,874 43
- Agent Authorisation Issue 282 3
- Transactions with directors 476 3
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 309 9
- Non VAT invoices 244 4
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 252 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,434 32
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 273 5
- Form 17 Download 193 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 595 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 408 4
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 766
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 418
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 370
- Electric Car 303
- S222 Charge 250
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 213
- IP trans to holding company 196
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 190
- AIA 188
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 182