How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 540 15
- RTI submission different to HMRC 1,589 28
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 395 8
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,353 15
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,610 19
- "Audit Report" 179 3
- Free invoicing software 237 3
- When are ltd companies "associated" for Vat and tax purposes? 134 2
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 210 4
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 109 1
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 764 19
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 213 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 236 2
- Coding Notice 258 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 278 6
- New business - journal entries 435 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 245 3
- Payroll software 668 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 302 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 416 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 913
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 727
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 418
- Social investment tax relief 225
- Digita Hosted Software 221
- accounting for this transaction 212
- Call Centre Data Costs 207
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 189
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 182
- Travel costs and contractors 179