How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Spousal transfer and PPR 693 31
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,139 21
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 44 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 241 8
- recompense capital input 181 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 102 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 220 2
- CT losses carry back 83 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 544 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 144 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 754 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 414 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,263 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 131 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 183 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 222 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 989 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 203 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 253 5
- Merging my businesses 230 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 562
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 328
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 299
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183