How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 215 4
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 565 12
- Research and development - repayment timescale 205 5
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 67 2
- Sole trader hid directorships. 344 6
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,359 46
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 246 5
- NOVA 541 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 253 10
- Regional Development Grant 95 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,327 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 77 1
- Company car without a salary 200 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 372 10
- Charity donations 1,043 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 326 13
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 138 2
- VAT on finance leases 194 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 588 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 298 6
- Bonus Bonds 388
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 375
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 286
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 255
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 183
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 166
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 146
- Demerger Reserve 128