How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Director Drawings 92 5
- Accounts Software 47 3
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,661 38
- Help with HMRC investigation 175 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 242 13
- Managing Employee Expenses 195 7
- HMRC Agents Line 163 3
- Collection or business assets 80 1
- Incorporated when they should not have 238 8
- Company Director In Prison 405 10
- Tax position re this lease? 359 9
- Do I need a smartphone? 697 23
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 91 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,645 70
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 78 2
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 332 5
- AWeb - download file 135 2
- pension paid by company? 329 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 747 17
- Late annual return 129 1
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 673
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 509
- Cancelled 427
- Cancelled 365
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 362
- Probiz 335
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 326
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 242
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 215
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 199