How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 56 4
- IHT Query 195 4
- How much to charge? 45 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 359 9
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 410 2
- BrightPay 673 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 226 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 427 8
- Abolish the penalty regime 194 4
- Gift or Capital Gain? 372 11
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 373 8
- SDLT on leases 128 1
- Is practising Certificate needed 380 7
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 946 26
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 305 4
- Statutary sick pay 225 1
- How much?? (ACCA rules on practice insurance) 313 4
- Director Salary 372 2
- Does anyone know how to deal with crowd funding income 308 7
- Capital Gain? 446 11
- Possible Partnership? 457
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 431
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 422
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 223
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 219
- Clubs and Taxable Income 213
- Income tax on foreign dividends 203
- New Fangled Penalties 200
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 200
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 168