How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Director drawings 199 13
- Childcare voucher schemes 10 1
- client can't/won't pay 1,831 40
- Interest Relief 145 5
- What sectors to target? 94 2
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 467 28
- What is the treatment of gains on sale of Options granted in Belgium 22 1
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 1,557 54
- Rental losses 106 3
- Should i tell HMRC 1,556 14
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 286 2
- Has anyone experience of BPRA? 140 3
- Charitable Company's Accounts 58 1
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 211 8
- Carrying forward self employment losses 174 8
- Client forgot to sign paper return and has gone on holidays 531 19
- Child Benefit Higher Income Tax Charge 121 3
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 96 2
- Balancing allowance/charge calculation on cessation of self-employment 52 1
- how much to charge 261 6
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 900
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 599
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 569
- Latest phishing scam 525
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 371
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 338
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 278
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 194
- Capital allowances in first basis period 178
- Sabbatical payments 169