How to best avoid penalties for undeclared tax?
Due to a misunderstanding of how Personal Allowances work, I have not submitted Tax Returns for the last 4 years, despite realising now that I should have.
I am happy to pay the tax I owe but am decidedly less keen on the penalties/fines etc. What is the best way to go about it?
1. A tax accountant friend suggested filling out SA1 as 'I have been earning proeprty income since 06/04/12' - to avoid triggering any automatic late notification penalties - and then, after receiving my UTR, sending in the 4 comps and a cheque for the total amount due.
Is this sensible?
2. Is there any chance I will not receive penalties as I would be making an unprompted disclosure?
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 68 1
- RTI Filing 1,242 21
- Shareholder Loan write off 496 23
- Loan to a participator 120 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,091 10
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 344 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 93 3
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 217 2
- £2000 Employment Allowance 108 1
- Staff entertaining or not? 334 4
- First RTI P45 202 3
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 132 2
- Non resident director pay 124 2
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 260 6
- Capital allowances 105 1
- Company Takeover Accounting policies 90 3
- Can Final Dividend be approved by Shareholders on draft accounts 217 3
- Cash flow 82 1
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 158 2
- Employment Allowance Self employed and Company 185 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 711
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 314
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 295
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 250
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 190
- VAT on Gaming Machines 183
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 160