how 'big' do you want your practice to be?
i'm interested in hearing the views of aweb members about how big they would like to grow their practice to, and why.
our little practice has now grown to 250k in fees after just shy of 2 years. its been hard work, but i've enjoyed it (mostly!). i've transferred my pension into a SIPP & just bought an office that could accomodate 20 staff (or, could just be a very spacious office for a smaller practice!). we have several marketing channels in place now, and a steady stream of prospects means i can be selective about clients we take on. its strange that we seem to turn away as many prospects as we take on - so just take the cream of the cream.
i'd always regarded 2 years as the time needed to establish a practice. i'm just wondering about 'phase 2' now ... half of me would like to get to around 300-350k GRF & then settle at that level, earning a decent income, & with good staff & my own premises i would be 'living the dream' LOL.
the other half of me wants to grow, grow, grow ... and take the fees up to 500,750, £1m ....
i've read some great posts from steve mcqueen on here about how growing a larger practice wasn't for him in the end ... (thanks for the honesty steve!) ... whereas other peeps seem bigger and perfectly happy ...
would love to hear what others thoughts are ... do you grow 'deliberately' or just drift along / upwards ... when you cant handle any more clients and dont want to grow how do you turn away new clients ... do you have a 'practice plan' ... etc
thanks all ....
- When to top-up pensions? 94 2
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 137 3
- Support / ticketing software 308 11
- Withdrawal of a quote 269 6
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 571 14
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 290 3
- Imported goods and VAT 103 1
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 419 15
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 568 11
- Stamp Duty 145 3
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,828 22
- Company Number 10000000 964 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 354 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 194 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 437 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,823 29
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 434 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 212 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 333 5
- Best software for small practice? 838 24
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 241
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 210
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 207
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187