how 'big' do you want your practice to be?
i'm interested in hearing the views of aweb members about how big they would like to grow their practice to, and why.
our little practice has now grown to 250k in fees after just shy of 2 years. its been hard work, but i've enjoyed it (mostly!). i've transferred my pension into a SIPP & just bought an office that could accomodate 20 staff (or, could just be a very spacious office for a smaller practice!). we have several marketing channels in place now, and a steady stream of prospects means i can be selective about clients we take on. its strange that we seem to turn away as many prospects as we take on - so just take the cream of the cream.
i'd always regarded 2 years as the time needed to establish a practice. i'm just wondering about 'phase 2' now ... half of me would like to get to around 300-350k GRF & then settle at that level, earning a decent income, & with good staff & my own premises i would be 'living the dream' LOL.
the other half of me wants to grow, grow, grow ... and take the fees up to 500,750, £1m ....
i've read some great posts from steve mcqueen on here about how growing a larger practice wasn't for him in the end ... (thanks for the honesty steve!) ... whereas other peeps seem bigger and perfectly happy ...
would love to hear what others thoughts are ... do you grow 'deliberately' or just drift along / upwards ... when you cant handle any more clients and dont want to grow how do you turn away new clients ... do you have a 'practice plan' ... etc
thanks all ....
- VAT invoice 9 1
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,484 52
- Property Revaluation - Postings 26 1
- Free accounts system for small business? 99 4
- Vat on motor repairs 81 1
- Received a CIS invoice 141 3
- Payroll Software Recommendations 149 4
- saturday staff 235 2
- Electronic v printed payslips 221 4
- Is anyone using micro entity accounts 920 13
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 366 5
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 792 7
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 204 3
- Fee protection 1,015 20
- PPR Sanity Check 109 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 491 3
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 176 2
- Incorporation and goodwill 202 3
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 325 3
- Industrial & Provident Societies 388 3
- Xtuple 574
- Qtac payroll for bureau 397
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 348
- Domain name sale and limited company 245
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 230
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 219
- Tax on damages received 194
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 189
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 156
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 150