how 'big' do you want your practice to be?
i'm interested in hearing the views of aweb members about how big they would like to grow their practice to, and why.
our little practice has now grown to 250k in fees after just shy of 2 years. its been hard work, but i've enjoyed it (mostly!). i've transferred my pension into a SIPP & just bought an office that could accomodate 20 staff (or, could just be a very spacious office for a smaller practice!). we have several marketing channels in place now, and a steady stream of prospects means i can be selective about clients we take on. its strange that we seem to turn away as many prospects as we take on - so just take the cream of the cream.
i'd always regarded 2 years as the time needed to establish a practice. i'm just wondering about 'phase 2' now ... half of me would like to get to around 300-350k GRF & then settle at that level, earning a decent income, & with good staff & my own premises i would be 'living the dream' LOL.
the other half of me wants to grow, grow, grow ... and take the fees up to 500,750, £1m ....
i've read some great posts from steve mcqueen on here about how growing a larger practice wasn't for him in the end ... (thanks for the honesty steve!) ... whereas other peeps seem bigger and perfectly happy ...
would love to hear what others thoughts are ... do you grow 'deliberately' or just drift along / upwards ... when you cant handle any more clients and dont want to grow how do you turn away new clients ... do you have a 'practice plan' ... etc
thanks all ....
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 112 2
- Industry Reports 32 1
- Change if career direction from industry to practice 53 1
- recompense capital input 221 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 748 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,158 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 709 31
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 280 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 108 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 240 2
- CT losses carry back 124 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 551 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 203 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 811 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 423 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,321 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 166 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 192 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 244 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 1,006 22
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 801
- RTI - duplicate employee record 567
- Pensions Regulator 458
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 416
- Portia ... Where art thou 343
- Sanzar 318
- How do you do it 307
- Digital marketing focus group 301
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 275
- new investor structure 186