how 'big' do you want your practice to be?
i'm interested in hearing the views of aweb members about how big they would like to grow their practice to, and why.
our little practice has now grown to 250k in fees after just shy of 2 years. its been hard work, but i've enjoyed it (mostly!). i've transferred my pension into a SIPP & just bought an office that could accomodate 20 staff (or, could just be a very spacious office for a smaller practice!). we have several marketing channels in place now, and a steady stream of prospects means i can be selective about clients we take on. its strange that we seem to turn away as many prospects as we take on - so just take the cream of the cream.
i'd always regarded 2 years as the time needed to establish a practice. i'm just wondering about 'phase 2' now ... half of me would like to get to around 300-350k GRF & then settle at that level, earning a decent income, & with good staff & my own premises i would be 'living the dream' LOL.
the other half of me wants to grow, grow, grow ... and take the fees up to 500,750, £1m ....
i've read some great posts from steve mcqueen on here about how growing a larger practice wasn't for him in the end ... (thanks for the honesty steve!) ... whereas other peeps seem bigger and perfectly happy ...
would love to hear what others thoughts are ... do you grow 'deliberately' or just drift along / upwards ... when you cant handle any more clients and dont want to grow how do you turn away new clients ... do you have a 'practice plan' ... etc
thanks all ....
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 31 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 224 7
- Closing down loss-making company 746 15
- Stumped - IHT 562 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 113 1
- S.455 Tax again 403 8
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 475 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 376 14
- Tips on meals 510 4
- co-operatives & Societies 97 1
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 697 7
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,194 20
- Xerocon 2016 1,476 40
- Website Content 458 6
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 199 3
- Directors in dispute 191 1
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 729 12
- Incorporated company charity 159 2
- property capital gains 357 3
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 448 5