how 'big' do you want your practice to be?
i'm interested in hearing the views of aweb members about how big they would like to grow their practice to, and why.
our little practice has now grown to 250k in fees after just shy of 2 years. its been hard work, but i've enjoyed it (mostly!). i've transferred my pension into a SIPP & just bought an office that could accomodate 20 staff (or, could just be a very spacious office for a smaller practice!). we have several marketing channels in place now, and a steady stream of prospects means i can be selective about clients we take on. its strange that we seem to turn away as many prospects as we take on - so just take the cream of the cream.
i'd always regarded 2 years as the time needed to establish a practice. i'm just wondering about 'phase 2' now ... half of me would like to get to around 300-350k GRF & then settle at that level, earning a decent income, & with good staff & my own premises i would be 'living the dream' LOL.
the other half of me wants to grow, grow, grow ... and take the fees up to 500,750, £1m ....
i've read some great posts from steve mcqueen on here about how growing a larger practice wasn't for him in the end ... (thanks for the honesty steve!) ... whereas other peeps seem bigger and perfectly happy ...
would love to hear what others thoughts are ... do you grow 'deliberately' or just drift along / upwards ... when you cant handle any more clients and dont want to grow how do you turn away new clients ... do you have a 'practice plan' ... etc
thanks all ....
- Auto enrolment 588 7
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 225 1
- VAT Registration 176 10
- BTL property with a plot of land at the back 178 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 444 11
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 1,427 30
- Vat on second hand goods 73 1
- Joint rental income 200 2
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 404 5
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 138 3
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 234 9
- Sale of business 416 1
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 435 1
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 216 2
- Easy way to not pay tax 450 15
- Tax Credit Overpayment 131 6
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 152 3
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 232 4
- Builder using cash labour 232 2
- Threshold for RTI submission 197 3
- Skandia using wrong address 1,500
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 832
- International interest certificate 449
- NOVA 306
- Bonus Bonds 187
- Management expenses for investment company 180
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 179
- Subby expenses subject to tax & NI? 175
- DOUBLE TAXATION RELIEF BETWEEN A PRIVATE LTD COMPANY AND GREECE (the private Ltd has no employees and its main activity is 164
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 155