how 'big' do you want your practice to be?
i'm interested in hearing the views of aweb members about how big they would like to grow their practice to, and why.
our little practice has now grown to 250k in fees after just shy of 2 years. its been hard work, but i've enjoyed it (mostly!). i've transferred my pension into a SIPP & just bought an office that could accomodate 20 staff (or, could just be a very spacious office for a smaller practice!). we have several marketing channels in place now, and a steady stream of prospects means i can be selective about clients we take on. its strange that we seem to turn away as many prospects as we take on - so just take the cream of the cream.
i'd always regarded 2 years as the time needed to establish a practice. i'm just wondering about 'phase 2' now ... half of me would like to get to around 300-350k GRF & then settle at that level, earning a decent income, & with good staff & my own premises i would be 'living the dream' LOL.
the other half of me wants to grow, grow, grow ... and take the fees up to 500,750, £1m ....
i've read some great posts from steve mcqueen on here about how growing a larger practice wasn't for him in the end ... (thanks for the honesty steve!) ... whereas other peeps seem bigger and perfectly happy ...
would love to hear what others thoughts are ... do you grow 'deliberately' or just drift along / upwards ... when you cant handle any more clients and dont want to grow how do you turn away new clients ... do you have a 'practice plan' ... etc
thanks all ....
- Gift to employee 393 13
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 156 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 127 2
- practice planning 73 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,105 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 171 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 153 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,649 10
- Which address 1,070 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 599 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,510 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,218 44
- R&D tax claim 258 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 546 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 207 7
- Tax Allowance on University Course 197 1
- Transfer of a business 131 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,169 22
- Investment property where tenant lives rent free 423 8
- VAT Cross Border Invoicing 127 2
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 487
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 337
- Pre incorp expenses 321
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 271
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 262
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 212
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 167
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 128