How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 90 2
- Client Death 466 8
- Extracting funds from a failing Company 124 6
- Accountancy Software Recommendation for eCommerce Business 359 4
- Unallocated client money 75 2
- Expenses Apps 115 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 906 14
- Tick & Bash Bristol 510 8
- CG34 Post Transaction Valuation, CGT and Entrepreneurs Relief 135 7
- Can Sage 50 Forecasting work with Excel 2013 or Office 365 127 2
- Can anyone recommend an EPOS system for a newsagents 193 2
- Agricultural Land Hold Over and Roll Over 149 5
- LLP ex-member not being paid accrued profits 106 4
- Luncheon vouchers - Class 1 NICs 144 4
- Quick Easy Quote 144 2
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 102 1
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,892 37
- monthly payments 333 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 640 17
- Work experience - pay 176 1
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 594
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 469
- Sorry ignore me 364
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 364
- Will Ni be payable on the salary I receive abroad ? 293
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 274
- Cancelled 231
- Cancelled 200
- Bartercard 163
- C79 Discrepancy 159