How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Small hotel - food for personal use 133 2
- Late RTI submissions on change of accountants 86 2
- Xero Pain Points 188 11
- VAT - How hard is it? 299 15
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 129 4
- New starter - tax code 94 3
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 93 4
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 546 9
- ACCOUNTING TREATMENT FOR DISBURSEMENTS 219 3
- Childcare 256 4
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 212 2
- The importance of Grammar 787 21
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 790 19
- New .accountant domain name extension 101 1
- VAT REGISTATIONS 200 4
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,457 18
- Can I force IRIS to produce an amended tax return ? 207 5
- Fees for successfully defending a COP9 enquiry 411 12
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,536 53
- Is this dodgy? 778 17
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 357
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 293
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 278
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 276
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 268
- Electric Car 219
- S222 Charge 199
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 192
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 188
- Company Structure 168