How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Any Scottish members out there? 5,968 209
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 41 1
- Changing font size in VT Transaction+ 202 6
- Trademark Fun 166 5
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,478 38
- Can I strike off a company by filing DS01 online? 170 2
- VAT Fuel Scale Charge for Fuel on Private/Personal Car 173 3
- Subsistence - god I hate it! 654 14
- How to issue a loan correctly? 206 2
- Would Director's dividends on non-voting C shares risk being classed as "earnings" for NIC purposes? 178 1
- Recycle old study books 360 9
- Share for share exchange 152 3
- Wind turbines 149 1
- Looking for a qualified accountant 519 2
- Locum Doctor claiming costs for Home Office 208 2
- FL Memo - Any Good 417 7
- VAT claim 359 6
- How to reclaim input tax from mixed use redevelopment? 165 6
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 412 9
- State Pension 1,224 10
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,059
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 341
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 288
- National Insurance 242
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 223
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 222
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 207
- Payments on account coded out?? 202
- Non Resident 160
- Franchise income and costs 143