How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- VAT on sale of Vehicle 99 2
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 201 5
- Gift or Capital Gain? 237 6
- Federation Accounts 347 10
- SA302s - Lenders to accept non hmrc copies 522 8
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 267 5
- Are Court and tribunal Judges honest/commit fruad ? 108 2
- Late reply from HMRC 240 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 281 6
- VAT silly question 2,356 55
- I think I'm developing an anger issue 2,647 34
- How long to prepare monthly management accounts 1,416 22
- Xero - am I missing something? 2,788 43
- paid or unpaid - who knows! 499 11
- Classic cars investment 194 5
- Vat reclaim on invoice payable over 4 years 210 3
- New Company - Corp Tax Period 231 8
- RTI - new employee 191 3
- Failure to operate PAYE 604 22
- H&W company 144 2
- Benchmarking 482
- Possible Partnership? 428
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 406
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 400
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 346
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 203
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 200
- Income tax on foreign dividends 184
- Clubs and Taxable Income 182
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 179