How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Company formation and bank account 222 7
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 639 8
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,522 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 508 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 394 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 189 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 391 8
- OneNote is fantastic 478 11
- VAT Direct Debit 357 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 437 8
- Self Assessment Software 685 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 434 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,350 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 253 11
- Owning overseas property 242 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 350 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 283 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 694 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,149 21
- PPR on a development? 242 4
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 652
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 400
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 400
- Property letting & CAs 390
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 383
- 2015 tax year end 383
- FCA regulated company in a small group 339
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 270
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 237
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 230