How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Something for the weekend? 56 1
- A Friday Funny. 117 4
- Is it any of my business ? 1,401 14
- Accounting for display stands 157 5
- vat gross profit percentage margins 398 1
- HMRC enquiry - PAYE error / RTI 263 4
- VAT training 143 3
- BTL property and holdover or other relief 322 6
- Treatment of one-off payments to non-employees 152 1
- Capital Allowance on Vehicles - CT600 353 9
- Companies House Search 205 2
- HMRC Online Services Problems 544 14
- AML reporting to NCA 117 2
- Has Microsoft taken a huge bite out of Apple 1,501 25
- VAT on new build property 285 5
- Who gets the CGT deduction 160 1
- Winning clients from retiring accountant - ethics/morals 1,806 15
- How much do you charge for Accountant's Reference? 2,457 24
- Introduction of assets to Limited Company (Comic Books) 571 16
- Outsourcing 130 1
- NHS finance professionals 695
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 426
- Foreign Pension Contribution 396
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 380
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 375
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 327
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 295
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 264
- IFA income recognition & reporting 220
- Incorporating doctors 214