How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Does director/largest shareholder's unpaid share capital need to go on a CT600A? 158 6
- How much tax should I be payng? 766 33
- Register for self assessment again as LLP member? 170 4
- Technical reference 209 2
- EIS/SEIS 231 2
- Can S455 tax repaid 296 4
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 190 2
- Form EIS3 125 2
- Comprehensive herd adjustment guidance 157 1
- Tax return for 05/04/13 shows income for year to 31/01/14 158 2
- Bank loan incorrectly posted 187 3
- CORPORATION TAX ONLINE - BOX 131 247 7
- Box AC60 HMRC Micro-entities CT600 filing 147 2
- Are you a member of the Aweb LinkedIn group? 220 2
- is the new landlord entitled to the 3 month exemption from business rates for empty premises, 199 4
- Foreign Partner - SA109? 89 1
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 457 7
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 804 10
- CPD - any cheap online sources? 332 7
- P11D penalties 235 1
- The booking.com con 340
- WWOOFers 329
- Cocaine anyone? 324
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 315
- Trade and asset transfers – fair value adjustments 208
- Restriction on loss relief from 2013-14 194
- logical office 187
- Purpose of issuing Holding share capital for s135 share exchange 180
- Associated companies where SCI with only one company in group 177
- barclays UK vesus barclays US 170