How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Partnership Tax Return Deadline 15 1
- Can I claim mileage? 96 1
- VAT on imports and the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT 174 9
- client threatening legal action 1,810 28
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 691 8
- Partially exempt? 241 9
- Reclaiming EU VAT on fuel and expenses 93 1
- First VAT Visit for client 241 4
- Dividend in specie 233 7
- Lorry Drivers 143 2
- Redundancy payment added to p45 127 1
- Partnership registered in error. No activities with view to profit. 110 1
- Mexican student in UK 121 2
- PI insurance for Auto Enrolment 201 3
- Accounting Practice acting as an employment agency 305 12
- payroll software 145 1
- No Tax Returns submitted for last 16 years 1,057 25
- Complicated Company car purchase 124 1
- Pricing 336 10
- Late VAT registration penalty 257 5
- Skandia using wrong address 490
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 279
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 274
- Employee rewards 258
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 227
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 218
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 218
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 215
- Etax Australian 172
- Annual Management Charge Rebates and Self Assessment Tax Return 161