How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Can a company act like a charity, without being a registered charity? 255 6
- Quote for client 217 5
- Reversal of Warranty Provision 263 10
- Investment property? 543 4
- error on companies house accounts 894 20
- Director's personal expenses paid by the Company 164 3
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 988 13
- ATT Exam tips and study help 100 2
- Client's company struck off 1,782 21
- Separate Pay runs for salary and commission 82 1
- Refurbised Pub 159 4
- Amend this years FPS's - any HMRC penalties? 171 4
- Directors obligation to notify 381 6
- Tax relief in respect of rental property/withdrawing of capital 84 2
- ATED on a hotel that isn't in use? 103 1
- Tax and children 321 2
- Moneysoft update problem 252 4
- HMRC stupidity of the day 578 4
- Bank Requesting clients' tax residence 851 7
- QROP pension input amounts 532 1
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 514
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 452
- EPS and CIS deductions 318
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 302
- Construction CIS LLP Company 293
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 275
- Tax Investigation - Employee Travel 221
- SAGE winforecast 212
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 199
- Overdrawn director account 199