How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 297 3
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 91 4
- Share swap 241 6
- Auto enrolment 342 5
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 242 3
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 87 1
- Threshold for RTI submission 36 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 154 2
- Was I rude 536 16
- Top slicing relief question no 2 128 3
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 82 3
- Maternity Pay 124 2
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 566 14
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 621 10
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 49 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,719 27
- Director's minimum wage? 226 4
- Advertising services? 304 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 312 4
- Invoice factoring 253 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 801
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 436
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 409
- Sale of business 376
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 272
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 187
- Expenses claim for non employee 177