How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,024 30
- Dress code 411 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 487 16
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 89 1
- Project being run jointly 196 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 303 4
- Companies House 595 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 128 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 340 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 729 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,432 25
- What would you do in this situation? 614 13
- Help Required 395 10
- directors control and tax problems 273 5
- Fastest Software 802 13
- What's in a name ? 369 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 287 4
- Bulk Invoicing 190 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 177 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 258 2
- CTA study material 712
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 434
- Employment related securities question 273
- AIM Stocks and IHT 251
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 216
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 210
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 208
- Trust for Employee 195
- Expat pension contributions? 195
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 167