How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 17 1
- Allowable expenditure when claiming wear & tear 86 3
- Can I zero rate the VAT? 175 4
- BTC Software 165 7
- Data Protection and emailing documents 1,170 18
- New Practice 319 18
- Change of director first name on Annual Return 88 1
- CGT on second home? 84 3
- Myfirmsapp 697 17
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 267 6
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 207 6
- Feedback on Kashflow and VAT 60 1
- Sage reporting 55 2
- accounts & tax software for small accountancy firms 864 29
- Does anyone have a formula to compare employment to self-employment rates? 491 12
- Taxfiler V's BTC 675 25
- Directors loan accounts 147 4
- HMRC 2009/10 Return 267 4
- Goods Purchased for Rental 545 29
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 107 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 1,011
- International interest certificate 589
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 517
- NOVA 473
- Bonus Bonds 357
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 337
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 258
- Payment for Promotional Samples 232
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 225
- Quickbooks 2015 154