How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Worried over stock value 174 3
- how to reduce student loan payments - taxfiler 26 1
- White van man 351 18
- foreign income 112 2
- Sole Trader using Tax Losses 145 9
- Window Comb Binder Cover 291 5
- STUDENT LOAN 56 1
- Bookkeeping question 573 6
- wave software 218 2
- Directors Pension Contribution 341 8
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 210 3
- Backdate C79? 160 2
- Entertaining - definition? 297 2
- Do you lose losses on cessation 355 10
- SA1 Online 89 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 91 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 90 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 348 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 99 1
- Capital allowances offset rule 143 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 820
- Copy Wanted 545
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 501
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 486
- Latest phishing scam 341
- Entrepreneurs' relief 312
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 284
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 277
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 273
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 181