How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 115 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 247 7
- New Email Extensions 113 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 863 24
- SA302 189 3
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 105 1
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,069 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 259 2
- Dental practice incorpration 119 1
- Audit rules 156 4
- Go Cardless 268 8
- business entertaining deductibility 136 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 158 2
- R & D 107 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 86 1
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 173 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 160 1
- New Business Registration 221 5
- Hosted email exchange 137 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 155 1
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 281
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Mehjoo 221
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 173
- Domain name sale and limited company 159
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 151