How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- "Can your client afford the following" 943 18
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 463 9
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 242 3
- Directors Accountancy Fees 74 1
- CIS Software Recommendations 141 2
- Capital Gains Regime/Corporation Tax Regime 96 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 841 12
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 301 6
- Recruitment consultancy says previous accountant said they could claim VAT on candidate entertainment. Could this be correct? 172 5
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 615 17
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 781 15
- Late filing penalties refunded 277 4
- Employers allowance 82 1
- Dividend in Specie on demerger 105 1
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 188 5
- Overpayment of Salary 827 24
- Effect on new state pension of contracted out periods 80 1
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 122 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 567 1
- CGT on house within Limited Company 322 10
- Theatre Tax Relief 426
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 332
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 311
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 292
- Perkbox 242
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 231
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 225
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 201
- Document Management Systems 200
- WIP Software 186