How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 677 18
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 291 4
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 275 10
- Love is in the air 602 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,058 47
- CGT on lost shares/scam 378 4
- Setting up a practice 537 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 546 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 501 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 409 1
- Stamp Duty 302 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 240 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,826 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 722 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 398 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 588 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 592 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 418 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 404 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 465 6
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 296
- CGT for NOn UK residents 282
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 281
- Foreign domicile status 265
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 258
- Apprenticeship Levy 243
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 242
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 226
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 225