How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 289 6
- Charge out rates in London? 131 2
- Accounting jobs in the UK 33 1
- Negative retained earnings & Dividends 91 3
- Snotty HMRC letter - continued 502 15
- pre letting expenses 143 2
- Expat working back in UK 84 3
- Are bankruptcy restrictions order becoming more common? 178 3
- Are contractor travel expenses 77 1
- Who owns SAGE Data? 398 8
- Audit Exemption new rules 270 6
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 93 3
- change of paye software 507 13
- Which software for practice books? 464 19
- Several employments - large tax bill remaining 239 4
- CIS to 5/10/13 and HMRC Computer issue 528 2
- share capital calculation 267 14
- Dispensation pointless ? 209 3
- Renting property to yourself 458 12
- Concerned about RTI 2014 1,978 51
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 732
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 475
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 289
- How to format a stock book 251
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 206
- Foreign income on Self Assesment 202
- Tax efficient holding company structure 190
- Investment property company accounts template 185
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 178
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 163