How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 158 8
- Where has Portia gone? 5,000 109
- Overlap profit 286 7
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 30 1
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 302 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,054 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 94 1
- Payments on account 158 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 47 1
- What do your junior staff do? 506 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 629 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 394 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 526 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 121 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,924 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 332 3
- On the high seas 104 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 142 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 856 34
- Payroll question 153 2
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 850
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 444
- Sanzar 338
- How do you do it 335
- Digital marketing focus group 310
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 292
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 206
- Fit for purpose 201
- new investor structure 196
- VAT Registration 179