How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Residents Association Corp Tax 212 9
- Vat threshold issues 175 4
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 301 2
- private to company car? 221 5
- Buy to let allowable interest 172 3
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 113 2
- What is the best practice for running a roofing company in Sage 87 1
- Anyone use Xero for estate agent clients? 284 5
- How to change credit note allocation in Sage 143 4
- Partner with an IVA 191 5
- What can my client claim r & d on? 338 6
- R&D tax claim 129 1
- How much to charge for Ltd company accounts ? 607 13
- Growing pains 382 7
- Does Freeholder have to be director of our RTM Company? 242 14
- Consequential loss claim 140 3
- ATT Annual Return Problems 130 2
- what is classed as investment under other fixed assets? 116 1
- Is a Mercedes Vito a van for tax purposes? 347 5
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 972 34
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 458
- CTA study material 420
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 304
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 290
- Pre incorp expenses 284
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 247
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 235
- Slight twist on employment related securities 212
- How to claim additional losses after mistake in CT return 188
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 179