How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 766 7
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,464 31
- Is this fraud? 300 5
- Saying goodbye 420 13
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 820 36
- Tax on private fuel for own car 196 5
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 358 16
- Sportman claiming for training kit 994 11
- Flat rate scheme 175 3
- Drop box Storage 196 3
- Private portion of costs and expenses in Accounts 274 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,191 413
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 619 4
- Furnished lettings criteria 136 1
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 416 5
- SAGE TRANSACTIONS DATA 140 2
- Pension Contributions Relief 366 11
- Recovering VAT on property purchase 122 1
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 204 2
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 306 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,271
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 454
- National Insurance 352
- Non Resident 267
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 261
- Franchise income and costs 240
- Hands on experience of Digita 197
- Employer's Helpline 146
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 140
- employment capital allowances 137