How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 291 1
- VAT Option to tax 456 17
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 151 6
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 187 7
- S162 and Capital Allowances 125 2
- Director leaving in month 1 110 2
- Ex Gratia payments 66 1
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 250 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 148 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 185 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 180 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 166 4
- IHT - clawback of BPR 46 1
- EIS - connection through employment 93 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 242 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 53 1
- CIS and Close Company 93 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 227 4
- Secondment expenses 153 3
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 124 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 906
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 640
- Free Tax Legislation? 401
- Director Loan account operation 396
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 333
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 318
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 182
- Pension Fixed Protection 161