How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Market Value/Connected Persons 197 8
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 78 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 144 4
- SAGE - Filtering Inactive Suppliers/Customers 124 2
- Personal allowance 420 10
- Workshops centred around Xero 459 12
- Scams are not always obvious 694 19
- RTI, no payroll but BIK 128 1
- P60 from HMRC Basic Paye Tools 134 2
- VAT on long lease in comercial property thathas opted to Tax 96 3
- Related party disclosures 174 3
- Input vat on my fees after deregistration 183 2
- Charity Buildings and Zero-rated Vat 87 1
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 617 17
- 100% FYA, do I have to cliam all of it in 1 year? 245 4
- Vat query - EU customer requesting invoice without charging vat 255 8
- Is this legal? 626 9
- Saying NO to a time wasters 1,998 23
- Cells from many sheets 127 2
- Taxation of rental income 221 4
- New Fangled Penalties 1,043
- Moving away from CCH software 905
- Recruitment agencies 529
- QROP pension input amounts 411
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 363
- Deemed Employment Payment 346
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 308
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 300
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 221
- fraud 218