How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- VAT - Recharge 114 3
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 240 3
- Legal title not in the company name 351 13
- Redundancy pay for directors? 517 14
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 897 19
- Opening Balances 83 1
- Companies Made Simple Dashboard? 210 2
- Employment Allowance 254 3
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 180 4
- CIC Company 539 7
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 1,374 21
- VAT online filing exemptions 319 4
- NALS Accountants Report 145 1
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 3,498 35
- Dividend dates 586 10
- Sole properietor 233 4
- transitioning payroll 269 8
- dividend proposals 158 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 263 2
- Deduction from Salary 325 8
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 626
- Cancelled 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 346
- Cancelled 314
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 286
- Probiz 275
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 240
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 232
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 207
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 178