How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Is it okay to make full time drivers self employed? 1,591 19
- Asignment of lease and premium paid 169 3
- Resigning as a director 70 6
- Over VAT threshold but now ceased trading 261 2
- Repayment of Share Capital 212 3
- Builing a gin palace but wants to rent out for a year first 308 2
- Reclaim VAT charged by US company 183 2
- Entrepreneurs' Relief - we're too late, aren't we ? 567 6
- Sole Director Limited Company and Childcare..hat is most tax efficient way to do it? 431 6
- Joint arrangement but not an entity (JANE) ?? 185 2
- Travel expenses for director - flight 200 2
- Employee leaving mid month and Payroll Manager 432 10
- Self employed care worker 574 12
- Auto enrolment 466 8
- Audacity 989 17
- Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings 407 7
- Late registration for MOSS 279 5
- Revaluation of Brands etc 286 5
- Client right to working papers 434 3
- Seeking advice: Paying Funeral Costs 564 6
- NHS finance professionals 543
- VAL231 411
- Mother and son property ownership 388
- Auto Enrolment and Foreign employers 362
- Foreign Pension Contribution 334
- Fines for late submission of the RDR 312
- vat gross profit percentage margins 293
- Employee's statement of sickness (SC2) form - no longer available as downloadable pdf 291
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 264
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 234