How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 172 1
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,432 39
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 74 2
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 220 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,223 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 353 6
- Go Cardless 373 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 314 3
- Mehjoo 328 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 121 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 382 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 191 4
- SA302 335 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 289 13
- Bringing money to Uk 289 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 215 4
- Hmrc software 252 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 180 1
- Hosted email exchange 188 5
- South African Government Pension 184 1
- Xtuple 515
- Qtac payroll for bureau 355
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 298
- Industrial & Provident Societies 292
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 235
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 208
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 208
- Domain name sale and limited company 180
- CIS schemes 176
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 151