How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- break even point 574 18
- How much to charge? 161 3
- Simple consolidation question 76 2
- Income tax on foreign dividends 217 1
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 381 10
- Capital Gain? 484 13
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 985 27
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 142 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 399 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 200 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 257 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 97 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 146 4
- IHT Query 219 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 434 2
- BrightPay 688 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 238 3
- What are CIS subcontractor clients worth to you ? 453 8
- Gift or Capital Gain? 382 11
- SDLT on leases 135 1
- Possible Partnership? 462
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 436
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 427
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 224
- Clubs and Taxable Income 215
- New Fangled Penalties 210
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 209
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 180
- Loans to other companies 164