How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Investment from Friend 181 10
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 919 39
- Receipt bank 346 8
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 634 24
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 31 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 482 10
- Self Assessment and P11D 144 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 341 4
- Company dividends 548 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 183 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 78 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,172 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 164 2
- TRONC scheme 106 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 714 13
- Capital Gains Relief 161 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,611 29
- Identity check problem 1,272 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 212 3
- Business Set up cost 114 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 880
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 581
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 543
- Latest phishing scam 477
- Entrepreneurs' relief 426
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 349
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 324
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 247
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 245
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 168