How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- VAT Invoice 241 7
- VAT on sale of an Asset 97 1
- Cash in Hand 193 3
- Buy to let and capitak gain 199 5
- are receipts needed? 642 17
- SA302's anyone?? 628 18
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 339 8
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 157 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 359 12
- Busines software 192 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 218 6
- Converting a barn for business use 191 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 324 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 331 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 498 10
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 347 3
- Bookkeping software 741 7
- Clogged Losses 293 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 288 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 672 10
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 911
- International interest certificate 524
- NOVA 375
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 337
- Management expenses for investment company 279
- Bonus Bonds 276
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 187
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 172
- EXACT ONLINE 172
- P11D benefit received by widow 168