How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Tainted donation by company 43 1
- Renting home garage and outbuildings to Business 133 2
- Bookkeeping - Relevant Qualifications? 314 5
- PI cover 137 3
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 1,346 16
- VAT underpayments and financial reporting 80 1
- Xero Pain Points 272 13
- Samsung Galaxy - Tablet War 151 2
- Moneysoft - technical query 365 9
- Tax Codes and VAT 180 2
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,733 61
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 845 20
- The importance of Grammar 923 24
- New starter - tax code 214 6
- Treatment of private car expenses put through limited company 148 2
- Capital loss on cessation for a sole trader 151 2
- HMRC site down ? 193 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 153 6
- Small hotel - food for personal use 226 3
- Models, agency rules and intermediary reporting 107 1
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 361
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 302
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 288
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 281
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 274
- Electric Car 226
- S222 Charge 203
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 199
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 192
- Company Structure 178