How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- signature required 108 7
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 427 14
- Dispensation 95 2
- South African family trust and UK resident beneficiary 72 3
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 267 3
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 194 3
- Capitalising purchased software 96 2
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 252 2
- Web sites 120 1
- Recharge for private use of a company car 553 17
- how to object to registered company name... 327 2
- Property income in different capacities 249 5
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 526 12
- CGT 472 19
- CGT 288 5
- Vat registration exception 139 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 484 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 138 1
- Charity Grant accounting 112 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 858 46
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,211
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 805
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 503
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 298
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 231
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 177
- TheTax Donut 157
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 151
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 146