How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,322 14
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 165 3
- VAT on Hire Purchase 183 2
- "Audit Report" 81 1
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 483 13
- Coding Notice 232 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 247 6
- New business - journal entries 416 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 226 3
- Payroll software 653 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 274 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 401 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 735 18
- B2B vat in the EU 192 4
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 203 4
- Changes to class 2 NIC's 236 3
- Client RTI Shows payments not his 200 4
- LLP as member of LLP 142 1
- Why should I retain membership? 2,846 48
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 523 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 873
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 722
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 415
- Social investment tax relief 220
- Digita Hosted Software 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 204
- accounting for this transaction 197
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 174
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 171
- Travel costs and contractors 170