How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- directors control and tax problems 89 4
- Bulk Invoicing 154 6
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 170 5
- What would you do in this situation? 494 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 127 3
- Help Required 281 6
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 224 2
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 398 14
- What's in a name ? 244 4
- ATED Penalties 261 1
- late second payment on account 153 2
- US royalties 81 2
- Project being run jointly 126 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 177 2
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 183 3
- Sole trader mix up 292 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 736 6
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 895 27
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 210 4
- Filing company accounts 137 1
- CTA study material 697
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 423
- Employment related securities question 266
- AIM Stocks and IHT 244
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 198
- Trust for Employee 184
- Expat pension contributions? 183
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 160
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 152
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 118