How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Mortgage Reference 883 15
- VAT joint margin scheme arrangement 104 1
- RTI offline? 601 2
- Can a company claim R&D relief under both the SME and large company schemes? 122 1
- CIS and Xero 271 1
- AMAP on borrowed car?? 232 7
- Retrospective VAT Query 159 2
- property capital gains 403 4
- Chargeable Event - life insurance bond written in trust 141 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 290 8
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 899 9
- Tips on meals 563 5
- Private doctors - Ltd company vs partnership 1,347 15
- S.455 Tax again 453 9
- Overdrawn directors loans and insolvent winding up 210 3
- Closing down loss-making company 805 15
- Stumped - IHT 625 8
- Can any cloud accounting package cope with operating a Foreign Branch and UK Head Office? 179 1
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 504 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 432 14
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 982
- Members in Public Practice 595
- Oplex Careers CPD 364
- Payroll manager and the cloud 295
- Is the APN valid 240
- Treatment of EIS relate back? 238
- Institute of Customer Services 238
- Kashflow payroll 228
- Class 4 NI due on 2 self employments 226
- Continuity of Practice 206