How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- VAT Office Grimsby 45 2
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 330 8
- Payroll error by client on Moneysoft 67 2
- Mileage allowance payment via payroll 145 4
- Digita Hosted Software 354 1
- Stock Valuation when a partner dies 62 2
- Thin Client recomendation 136 2
- format cell to exclude decimals 263 15
- Inheritance Tax and the 7 Year rule for property as a gift 101 2
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 1,233 15
- Homing sandwiches 814 19
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 238 2
- SUSPECTED OR INVALID BENEFIT FRAUD 196 2
- Client needs a UK tax residency certificate for Spanish tax authorities 89 2
- IT advisory questions? 401 11
- Direct debit entry query 144 4
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 784 12
- Can you help me spot errors? 208 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,184 18
- Acounting Courses 113 1
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,293
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 845
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 536
- Credit where credit's due....... 329
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 251
- TheTax Donut 213
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 177
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 159
- Director's business mileage 140
- Sole trader CPD 135