How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- I do not love you 196 4
- Gift of FHL - subsequent PPR not denied? 180 1
- Limited Company 158 3
- Love is in the air 745 10
- Stamp Duty 332 5
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 745 19
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 884 8
- Personal Pension Relief in the Tax Code 396 5
- Paying Son 807 19
- CGT on lost shares/scam 405 5
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 284 10
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,073 47
- Setting up a practice 641 5
- Very large share capital by mistake 622 7
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 564 4
- 24 month rule and expenses 487 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 249 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,871 21
- Incorporation of gp practise 461 1
- Client Paperwork Retention? 615 13
- Foreign domicile status 309
- DTA tie-breaker issue 306
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 302
- CGT for NOn UK residents 286
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 283
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 263
- Apprenticeship Levy 248
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 246
- Discretionary payment to sick employee 237
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 231