How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 946 29
- You know its over 331 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 485 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 215 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 168 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 155 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 238 3
- Cocaine anyone? 505 8
- Late Registration for VAT 483 13
- EIS/SEIS 138 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 273 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 412 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 419 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 714 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 551 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 587 4
- Personal pension 399 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 221 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,215 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 170 3
- Hive up 490
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 456
- corporate hierarchy 436
- Advice - 271
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 224
- WWOOFers 217
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 206
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 199
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 178
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 173