How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Sole trader hid directorships. 280 5
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,288 43
- Regional Development Grant 51 3
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,214 21
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 35 1
- Company car without a salary 145 2
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 345 10
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 242 9
- Charity donations 1,003 21
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 316 13
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 546 11
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 121 2
- VAT on finance leases 178 3
- More HMRC on gov.uk 570 10
- CONVERSION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 283 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 248 3
- Goods Purchased for Rental 697 34
- Professional Clearance 1,622 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 311 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 475 6
- NOVA 502
- Bonus Bonds 386
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 371
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 283
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 253
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 177
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 163
- Finance Lease 154
- Company Car Lease 152
- Form 42 145