How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- client can't/won't pay 127 7
- Auto enrolment 1,607 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 184 8
- losses carried forward 338 9
- VT 325 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 672 18
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 438 21
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 85 2
- 5% penalty on late payment 111 2
- Ongoing trade? 234 5
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 171 3
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 266 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 857 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 141 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 727 19
- Tax Penalty overeaction 549 10
- New Boiler at Rental Property 248 3
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 237 4
- Freelance software consultant 283 3
- opening balamces 348 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 774
- Copy Wanted 487
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 278
- Entrepreneurs' relief 260
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 226
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 222