How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Incorporated when they should not have 141 6
- IHT 205 partnership and business interests 57 2
- Tax position re this lease? 329 8
- Reasonable excuse for not filing returns....Death? 290 5
- AWeb - download file 76 2
- pension paid by company? 298 8
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 713 17
- Late annual return 85 1
- Charity work 193 10
- Company Director In Prison 341 8
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 206 12
- HMRC Agents Line 90 2
- Managing Employee Expenses 167 6
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 1,674 60
- inheritance tax 558 14
- donations to school via self employed business (registered charity) 155 5
- Is compensation for surrender of a lease subject to VAT 63 1
- Do I need a smartphone? 618 21
- SA Agent's Priority Line 157 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 774 24
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 671
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 495
- Cancelled 423
- Cancelled 361
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 360
- Probiz 332
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 321
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 241
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 213
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 196