How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- BTC is slow 264 3
- Voluntary Disclosure 215 2
- Director registration for SA question 461 17
- How to revise RTI for Moneysoft 188 3
- Issues with freelancer taking zero salary from limited company 344 6
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 503 22
- valuation of vehicles 405 16
- Business only use of company car 694 26
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 509 14
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 322 4
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 962 29
- New Company reviews please 550 13
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 316 4
- Ethical Issues / Conflict of Interest 273 2
- VAT with Russia 235 2
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 234 4
- Money Laundering Manual 304 11
- cgt quoted shares losses 250 2
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 1,123 29
- directors loan 373 8
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 303
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 244
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 240
- Any thoughts on Capium? 235
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 219
- auto enrolment 189
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 177
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 158
- How to account for investment in JV? 152
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 148