How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- recompense capital input 207 12
- How can i allow my clients to digitally sign? 743 15
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,151 22
- Spousal transfer and PPR 701 31
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 75 1
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 257 8
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 106 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 233 2
- CT losses carry back 109 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 547 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 175 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 772 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 420 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,283 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 158 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 184 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 233 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 993 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 221 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 265 5
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 800
- RTI - duplicate employee record 565
- Pensions Regulator 455
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 414
- Portia ... Where art thou 337
- Sanzar 317
- How do you do it 304
- Digital marketing focus group 300
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 274
- new investor structure 185