How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- What would you do? 520 5
- VAT - How hard is it? 1,126 43
- Depreciation on purchase of software 315 5
- is photo id necessary to set up a direct debit? 572 23
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 423 9
- exemptions from CIS 16 1
- Auto Enrolment 158 4
- Class of Shares 147 3
- Cut-off accounting question 175 8
- account in joint names - gift? 45 1
- Offshore bond assigned to UK discretionary trust 78 4
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 213 8
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 96 2
- statutory maternity pay 107 3
- VAT & Offshore Companies 277 8
- DIRECTOR LOAN ACCOUNT AND BALANCE 429 9
- Freelance/Employee 235 7
- RBS advising client they don't want his business 2,205 12
- Does anyone know the name and postal address of HMRC's Data controller? 214 1
- Remove Extinguished Charge 229 2
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 385
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 339
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 319
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 304
- Electric Car 256
- S222 Charge 224
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 216
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 208
- Company Structure 198
- How to treat NI and PAYE for overseas staff employed in UK? 165