How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Merger of Two companies 331 13
- Merging 391 9
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 105 4
- Entrepreneurs Relief 67 1
- nic class 1 on expenses mechanics 154 4
- CIC Dividend Cap 291 10
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 162 4
- IHT dilemma 956 16
- Why should I retain membership? 3,391 55
- Merger of Two companies 439 16
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 898 21
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 243 8
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 662 20
- NEGLIGIBLE VALUE CLAIMS 199 4
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 1,806 24
- New business - journal entries 560 24
- IFA incorporation problems 297 4
- Coding Notice 334 7
- Auto renewed contract, is this legal/enforceable?? 315 2
- PPR/CGT/Part-Disposal/Land 179 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 962
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 740
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 427
- Excuses, excuses!!! 314
- Digita Hosted Software 238
- Social investment tax relief 236
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 233
- Call Centre Data Costs 224
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 203
- Travel costs and contractors 202