How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 1,345 48
- Payroll Software Recommendations 89 3
- Received a CIS invoice 50 1
- PPR Sanity Check 57 1
- Moving from Moneysoft to another payroll product 82 1
- Directors Remuneration 2014/15 and NIC Allowance and Excel Spreadsheet 302 4
- saturday staff 92 1
- Apologies for reposting this but first post was on Friday afternoon! 449 3
- Employee becoming shareholder - can salary be reduced with compensating dividends? 126 2
- Incorporation and goodwill 165 3
- Can a small company buy a painting as an investment? 280 3
- Industrial & Provident Societies 376 3
- Self assesment losses 367 9
- Disposal of an opted property 211 3
- Fee protection 984 19
- Payroll systems 439 8
- View on Absolute Accounts Integrated vs PTP vs IRIS 194 3
- dividend 294 12
- overdrawn directors loan 300 6
- Irish Taxation 185 6
- Xtuple 571
- Qtac payroll for bureau 392
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 347
- Domain name sale and limited company 242
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 216
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 216
- Tax on damages received 190
- Multiple bodies and practicing certificates 187
- Temporary non residence and CGT on non-UK asset 153
- Accounts consolidation spreadsheet 146