How can I shorten the basis period?
I have a sole trader client whose business is generating profits and whose year end is 30th April.
For reasons best known to himself he decided, with the help of an outside consultant, to cease trading as a sole trader on 31st March 2011 and to form two new companies who purchased the business, and who began trading on 1st April 2011. As far as I know there was no actual legal documentation reflecting the sale.
The staff have been transferred to the new companies and subsequent VAT returns reflect this change of status. As he sold the business as a going concern to non VAT registered companies there was VAT on the consideration (paid in instalments), but apart from that the VAT returns have had no output or input tax on subsequent VAT returns.
The 2010/11 tax return would ordinarily reflect the basis period as the year to 30th April 2010. Because of the way he sold the business I believe the basis period is now the period 1st May 2009 to 31st March 2011 - an extremely long period of account and one which will generate a huge tax bill.
I am racking my brains to see if I can justify a second basis period for the self employment which ends in the 2011/12 tax year, which should allow a lower overall tax bill. I wonder if anyone had any thoughts?
- Sell business after leaving country 76 1
- Capital Gain? 494 13
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 612 15
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 84 1
- Income tax on foreign dividends 224 2
- break even point 581 18
- How much to charge? 167 3
- Simple consolidation question 86 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 381 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 988 27
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 158 4
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 401 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 201 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 260 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 100 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 150 4
- IHT Query 222 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 435 2
- BrightPay 693 22
- 3 Days Grace for late FPS's? 240 3
- Possible Partnership? 463
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 440
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 427
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 226
- Clubs and Taxable Income 216
- New Fangled Penalties 212
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 211
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 181
- Loans to other companies 167