How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,148 52
- Window Comb Binder Cover 149 3
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 82 1
- client can't/won't pay 391 13
- Help - Capital Allowance 146 6
- AIA 143 4
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 243 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 255 9
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 282 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,179 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 245 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 192 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 545 26
- HMRC SA software error? 148 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 169 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 266 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 202 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 171 2
- wave software 134 1
- Freelance software consultant 340 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 786
- Copy Wanted 500
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 456
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 453
- Latest phishing scam 287
- Entrepreneurs' relief 272
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 269
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 250
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 240
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 237