How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 177 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 208 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 425 11
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 257 10
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 110 2
- Was I rude 800 20
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 289 9
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 214 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 292 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 285 7
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 198 6
- Non-compete agreement 185 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 200 1
- Any views 741 1
- IRIS Practice Management 147 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 110 2
- Pre- trading Expenses 100 1
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 178 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 310 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 261 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,485
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 823
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 422
- Sale of business 396
- NOVA 294
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 207
- Bonus Bonds 179
- Management expenses for investment company 175
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 169