How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 508 10
- is this fraud? 403 8
- Question regarding gym training 111 2
- Mortgage to buy property in limited company 139 4
- Directors Subsistence 345 3
- first year company tax return for a limited company 1,067 26
- Has anyone read the implications of the Lisbon treaty? 563 9
- Gong round in Circles with CT600 187 2
- How long are 64-8s taking these days? 409 9
- R&D tax credit claim 150 4
- Dissolving company to avoid CCJ 368 5
- New company - form a group? 86 1
- Not a good start no broadband 222 4
- Sage valuing foreign bank balances 130 3
- Married woman dies owning marital home 338 2
- Incorporation Relief 297 6
- Penalty suspension 167 2
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 343 7
- Corporate shareholder question 231 4
- Bartercard 322 4
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 563
- Cancelled 337
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 321
- Cancelled 277
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 240
- Probiz 223
- CIS Deductions 180
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 169
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 160
- Car leasing scheme 156