How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Clever way to split cells? 118 5
- VAT for Residential Property Developer 13 1
- From Ireland. Self-Employed or Foreign Income? 222 8
- Legal fees for revalued asset 44 2
- VAT on Pub purchase 100 1
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 221 9
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 179 3
- VAT Option to tax 528 19
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 156 4
- Director Loan account operation 437 2
- Giving advice to friends / family 230 3
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 500 16
- Tax implications of soletrader gifting money 89 3
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 240 5
- Business travel apps 193 4
- Clarify the tax position 140 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 380 5
- Free Tax Legislation? 436 1
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 379 3
- Foreign national, UK resident 141 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 919
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 646
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 358
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 327
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 203
- Pension Fixed Protection 164
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 163
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 162