How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 504 9
- Incapable of reading 203 2
- Using VT Transactions + for first time .. struggling with flat rate VAT 183 3
- How much to charge 280 4
- How to pay national insurance 230 8
- How do I create a tax journal from my corporation tax return? 235 4
- Government Gateway 1,008 16
- P11DX: change of requirement by HMRC 1,585 11
- Form 17 - legal ownership requirements 216 6
- Project Manager Consultant with Profit Share 106 1
- Related party - Transaction with sole director’s father 127 2
- P11D Rejection 389 9
- How to avoid a bankruptcy 556 14
- Selling a practice 380 5
- KPMG email campaign and impact on market 1,297 20
- Overlap relief 475 12
- Live Chat on Accountancy Website 174 1
- Dormant payroll 853 9
- Can I get around an ostrich director? 198 1
- "Can your client afford the following" 1,376 21
- Theatre Tax Relief 447
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 350
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 343
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 315
- Perkbox 280
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 251
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 246
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 244
- Document Management Systems 219
- WIP Software 209