How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Payment plans for clients 291 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 92 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 202 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 481 14
- Employee steeling client data 140 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,364 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 193 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 136 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 94 1
- CT600 280 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 223 4
- signature required 917 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 206 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 344 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 335 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 172 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 92 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 159 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 106 1
- Lease 154 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 859
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 554
- Credit where credit's due....... 343
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 235
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 194
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 185
- Director's business mileage 154
- Sole trader CPD 147