How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 174 10
- Is it just me 65 3
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 229 5
- Samadian what does it mean 475 10
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 33 1
- Income tax exemption on woodlands 124 4
- Excessive Security 708 30
- R & D 59 2
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 452 9
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 135 2
- Tax rebate under PAYE, no p60? 149 5
- Tax return 168 4
- Associations tax regime for Saturday school 543 6
- Fee protection 287 9
- Long Term Contracts 137 3
- Standard P&L format - Companies Act 2006 89 2
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 676 15
- Generic PAYE notices 252 6
- Ltd company or sole trader 288 9
- Cross Border VAT Reclaims 201 5
- Xtuple 483
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 271
- Industrial & Provident Societies 264
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 205
- Mehjoo 204
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 172
- New strategic report 161
- Domain name sale and limited company 144
- South African Government Pension 141