How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 121 5
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 148 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 320 6
- CGT history of shares 166 3
- CGT on sale of let property 99 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 163 2
- how do i get UTR 126 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 78 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 228 3
- A round of applause please for winner of BITCH OF THE 382 11
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 116 1
- Your comments please 306 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 183 9
- CT600 deadline & shortened year end 113 2
- EIS 192 4
- Income Splitting - form 17 and DoT 120 1
- Charity requirements to report ALL I&E in accounts 111 2
- Transfer of Software to sister company 112 1
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 721 14
- Should a non trustee sign Scottish charity accounts? 200 1
- Moving away from CCH software 965
- QROP pension input amounts 449
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 393
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 378
- fraud 301
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 274
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 242
- Construction CIS LLP Company 227
- EPS and CIS deductions 220
- Out of time or not? 205