How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 284 11
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 275 6
- Dress code 889 22
- How much did you pay for your website 1,568 27
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax Consultancy 2014 547 4
- Interest relief before property is rented out 140 2
- Dividend 349 6
- FRS and Debtors 171 2
- What's in a name ? 555 6
- Helping out a friend 447 8
- Problem with CT600 return boxes AC229 & AC230 (Accelerated capital allowances) 235 7
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 411 5
- ACCA practice certificates 342 4
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,288 36
- Umbrella Companies 261 3
- Tax on grant a lease - no proceeds 177 2
- What would you do in this situation? 836 15
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 329 5
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 600 16
- Project being run jointly 265 3
- CTA study material 739
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 458
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 301
- Employment related securities question 294
- AIM Stocks and IHT 265
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 240
- Expat pension contributions? 228
- Trust for Employee 222
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 215
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 139