How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- How to walk away without questions 2,677 17
- IHT Query 400 9
- PPR for non-residents after 05 Apr 2015 62 1
- Takeover of Annual PAYE scheme 92 2
- Get it off your chest 206 4
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 246 7
- Directors bonus 120 2
- Auto Enrolment specialist service provider 77 1
- Personal Pension Withdrawal 264 3
- HMRC Unpaid Debt Collector 196 5
- do you receive fewer phone calls than some years back because of emails 138 3
- break even point 1,108 33
- The return 745 27
- Sell business after leaving country 322 6
- Profit & Loss accounts filling when tax is withheld overseas 88 2
- Charity accounting 70 2
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 1,003 44
- IHT on offshore settlement 150 2
- How best to declare a mistake on a tax return by previous agent 151 1
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 359 2
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 549
- Possible Partnership? 549
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 479
- New Fangled Penalties 347
- Clubs and Taxable Income 289
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 269
- Loans to other companies 214
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 207
- Outsource Data Entry 173
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 172