How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- recompense capital input 151 10
- Spousal transfer and PPR 652 28
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 96 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 208 2
- CT losses carry back 62 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 539 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 111 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 737 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 413 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,231 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 118 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 180 3
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 216 7
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 219 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 984 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 193 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 247 5
- Merging my businesses 223 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 486 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 378 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 326
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183