How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- PRR 89 4
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 441 7
- Which tax box 165 2
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 67 2
- Is it more beneficial to be a Ltd company? 99 1
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,041 53
- How to change reconciliation status of bank account in Sage 50 59 3
- how to start a career in accounting at 34? 186 3
- Pension Contributions Relief 424 13
- Underpaid Tax Options on SE 194 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,423 423
- References for clients 150 2
- Sole Trader - Working from home claims 117 2
- incorrect PAYE statements 65 2
- What accounting software packages are best for restaurants? 305 7
- Capital Gains Tax on title transfer 94 5
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 282 1
- corp tax software 300 5
- Opening start-up business bank accounts 210 3
- Is it possible to retrospectively change the tax year that dividends were paid. 571 24
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,292
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 459
- National Insurance 355
- Non Resident 274
- Franchise income and costs 250
- Hands on experience of Digita 208
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 162
- Employer's Helpline 154
- employment capital allowances 149
- CIS paid under reg 9 133