How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 80 1
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 67 2
- Cocaine anyone? 426 8
- Late Registration for VAT 462 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 142 11
- EIS/SEIS 122 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 250 1
- You know its over 166 2
- TaxCalc Accounts production 385 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 386 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 649 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 520 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 537 4
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 71 1
- Personal pension 385 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 212 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,192 11
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 890 27
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 116 3
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,503 22
- Hive up 479
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 443
- corporate hierarchy 426
- Advice - 261
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 216
- WWOOFers 212
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 198
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 190
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 169
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 165