How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Starting your response in the subject line of the form 183 6
- Directors Loan Account Question 79 3
- HMRC - never move address as an agent 880 16
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 751 30
- Allowable expenses on retal property 399 12
- VAT "Scheme" 80 2
- Company accounts for £350 409 14
- Employer Paid Travelcard and Maternity Leave 86 2
- Refreshments provided at event: client entertainment or not? 172 3
- question 578 7
- Directors Current Account and dividends 376 22
- Marriage Allowance Transfer 146 6
- Company Limited by Guarantee 170 2
- Property pages or self-employed? 301 7
- wife as partner 140 3
- 10% Wear And Tear Allowance UK Property 128 1
- Identity Checks 232 7
- Running Sage on a Mac 183 3
- Do I need to file a tax return whilst working abroad? 111 1
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 724 28
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 294
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 275
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 266
- French ConnectionUK 211
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 199
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 195
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 192
- APN's 177
- FRS 101 Software 170
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 168