How close to the wind do you sail?
I have just lost a small growing business to an aggresive National firm and I want to learn from it.
Last year I discussed with the client the possibility of converting to a limited company since he looked as though he would be paying tax at higher rates in the current year. We were to consider the position again when we knew how well he was doing this year but unfortunately an introduction through a friend of his has seen me lose the client due to the level of savings being promised (current year profits could be c£70,000). It is not a one man service company.
It has been proposed to him that a new company is set up with ownership split 50/50 with his wife. Salaries will be set at minimum level for NI purposes, directors' loan withdrawals will be made during the year and dividends taken post year end to clear any loan account balance. The wife will do nothing in or for the business.
I have a tax partner with a conservative view of these types of arrangement and as a consequence we would not normally do anything as obvious or as close to the limits but I don't believe that I can ignore that fact that this type of arrangement is being actively promoted to my clients.
What views do others have and is there a danger that this type of arrangement will come under attack?
- Member meet up 1 October in London 326 8
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 178 7
- Identify cost savings 207 6
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 434 7
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 112 2
- Capital gains tax and PPR 97 1
- Jobs after completing ACCA 134 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 590 11
- are these allowable deductions? 130 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,659 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 570 12
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 86 1
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 139 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 418 7
- Schedule A losses 153 1
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 200 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 834 1
- Fees 796 8
- P11D & tax return 289 10
- Freelance/Employee 932 22
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 333
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 241
- AIA 216
- IP trans to holding company 210
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 205
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 171
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 162