interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- SA302's anyone?? 584 17
- High value residential property - SDLT 15% 25 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 338 12
- Cash in Hand 65 2
- Buy to let and capitak gain 132 4
- Busines software 127 5
- Goods Purchased for Rental 182 6
- Converting a barn for business use 181 2
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 302 4
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 307 12
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 466 10
- are receipts needed? 604 16
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 290 3
- Bookkeping software 715 7
- Clogged Losses 278 5
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 261 9
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 652 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 314 7
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 264 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 123 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 907
- International interest certificate 520
- NOVA 370
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 318
- Management expenses for investment company 274
- Bonus Bonds 265
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 180
- P11D benefit received by widow 160
- EXACT ONLINE 154
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 150