interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- transitioning payroll 185 6
- dividend proposals 37 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 204 2
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 69 1
- Deduction from Salary 263 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 161 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,679 60
- Dividend dates 532 9
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 64 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 421 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 151 2
- 12 Pay Problems 236 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 225 3
- Sole properietor 104 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 85 1
- Redudancy 65 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 473 13
- VAT - Recharge 84 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 347 4
- Legal title not in the company name 223 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 308
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 278
- Probiz 270
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 226
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 226
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 171