interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Very large share capital by mistake 373 6
- 24 month rule and expenses 149 1
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 367 3
- Love is in the air 440 6
- Setting up a practice 200 3
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 636 17
- Stamp Duty 282 4
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 224 4
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,772 21
- Another Sneaky Tax Hike! 483 5
- Incorporation of gp practise 181 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 254 9
- Auto enrolment confusion 2,012 46
- Client Paperwork Retention? 555 13
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 565 7
- Tax Overlap Reporting 338 4
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 385 9
- Reimbursing director travel costs 437 6
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 462 8
- Sage 50 VAT Return 287 2
- DTA tie-breaker issue 295
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 282
- CGT for NOn UK residents 278
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 274
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 249
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 237
- Apprenticeship Levy 232
- Capital Gains personal representatives 219
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 219
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 194