interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 109 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 168 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 172 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 820 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 533 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 692 13
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 300 16
- Personal pension 435 9
- Business rates consultancy 264 4
- Wrong tax code 173 6
- Benefit in Kind 253 5
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 88 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 285 10
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 1,058 31
- Deferred Tax 473 8
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 207 1
- You know its over 491 6
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 246 1
- Foreign pension tax credit relief 143 1
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 237 3
- Hive up 512
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 474
- corporate hierarchy 453
- Advice - 294
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 238
- WWOOFers 232
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 217
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 194
- The booking.com con 173
- UK State pension paid in NZ 165