interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Do you design it or pick what's out there? 287 8
- How best to own a 4-way property partnership 172 3
- Capital allowances 118 2
- Vat on sales invoice which includes expenses 84 1
- RTI Filing 1,287 21
- Shareholder Loan write off 502 23
- Loan to a participator 131 4
- Unknown cash receipt 1,161 10
- Does unpaid share capital attract s455 liability? 354 7
- Import VAT can be set off against output VAT liability or not 99 3
- RTI "Reason for submission being late" 219 2
- £2000 Employment Allowance 133 1
- Staff entertaining or not? 344 4
- First RTI P45 207 3
- Shouldn't have filed accounts? 151 2
- Non resident director pay 127 2
- Company Takeover Accounting policies 91 3
- Can Final Dividend be approved by Shareholders on draft accounts 222 3
- Cash flow 91 1
- Employment Allowance Self employed and Company 192 1
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 711
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 482
- One man Company and closing payroll scheme as none paid 315
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 298
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 250
- growth voucher supplier 227
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 191
- VAT on Gaming Machines 183
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 161
- Papilio UK Equity Release Mortgages Ltd 160