interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Do you lose losses on cessation 320 10
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 88 2
- foreign income 94 1
- SA1 Online 42 1
- UK resident non domicile recieving a gift from his parents in Pakistan. 66 1
- Relevant earnings and losses 79 2
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 331 9
- VAT recovery on company owned van used by employee with some personal use 83 1
- White van man 216 8
- Capital allowances offset rule 103 1
- Non sterling partnership profits, exchange rates and tax 113 4
- Worried over stock value 127 1
- Start of letting business when property owner took lodgers prior to letting out 114 2
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,295 22
- Mortgage extended on a rental property 112 1
- Is there a risk in helping overseas companies that have no intention of doing business in the UK 196 5
- CGT on sale of Spanish property 165 3
- VAT on leased double cabs 86 1
- Backdate C79? 137 1
- Having a Jan blank moment 206 4
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 818
- Copy Wanted 542
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 497
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 480
- Latest phishing scam 335
- Entrepreneurs' relief 307
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 279
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 271
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 270
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 177