interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- On track to get SA tax returns done... 140 4
- Directors undrawn salary 484 18
- Property issues (tax) 67 1
- Mileage allowance 970 7
- EIS - Have I been here before? 101 2
- HMRC requesting information 172 1
- Rant (unrelated to accountancy) 852 28
- online 64-8 authorisation 125 1
- Dangerous "HMRC" e .mail 309 3
- HMRC acting illegally re: removing overpayments from the record? 448 5
- Do we need consumer credit license for this 110 1
- RTI 380 17
- How to do a Sage Journal/s to put things straight? 199 5
- What leverage do I have with accountants if any? 1,800 54
- How do I find out if a company is in liquidation? 273 7
- Tour Operators Margin Scheme For VAT (TOMS) 83 1
- Nigella's tax bill 506 9
- What is going rate on contractor fees ? 1,173 73
- Does your car speak Geordie? 487 7
- Just because it's Friday 1,160 14
- confusion about 267
- Membership of SPA 237
- Sole trader renting property from self and co owner 237
- Competition time! 228
- Maximum AIA Claimable 222
- Alternate 198
- hp versus contract hire versus lease purchase with balloon 197
- Tax treatment of lost partnership capital 176
- Recommend commission tracking software? 160
- VAT on advisory fuel rates 132