interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Bookkeeping Package 573 8
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 121 5
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 790 16
- Preparing a consolidated TB 160 4
- Company Pension Contributions 179 4
- Prepare for Chaos 95 1
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 1,419 40
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 295 1
- When does my Property business start 160 2
- Employment status 488 9
- Foreign Premium Distributions 154 1
- Autoenrolment and payroll software from April 2015 138 1
- Simple Ltd company accounts service 396 9
- Seafarers Earnings Deduction - how is Gibraltar treated? 190 5
- How to Value a Business 409 7
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 1,140 19
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 136 2
- Fastest Software 535 7
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 2,593 68
- Vat threshold issues 1,480 12
- CTA study material 586
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 586
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 354
- Employment related securities question 218
- Foreign Business setting up in UK 190
- ATED Penalties 186
- AIM Stocks and IHT 170
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 123
- Trust for Employee 122
- Expat pension contributions? 118