interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- RTI Payroll for director of a limited company (no other employees) 19 1
- cross border vat 15 1
- PPR posers 77 1
- Allocating Partnership Profit Loss and offseting loss against general income 104 5
- revers sales receipt 84 4
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,416 64
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,822 13
- Any Scottish members out there? 12,317 459
- Transfer shares to son 127 5
- What accounting software is there for Irish Accounts? 237 3
- Shares received in return for services rendered 77 1
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 458 5
- Overnight subsistence 70 1
- 100% Xero practice 2,652 50
- Franchise income and costs 290 1
- Separating business for VAT purposes 263 3
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 622 11
- Devolved HMRC? 169 2
- capital gains on PPR 372 18
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,588 33
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,332
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 492
- National Insurance 378
- Non Resident 305
- Hands on experience of Digita 227
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 199
- Employer's Helpline 174
- employment capital allowances 169
- Use of home expenses Rent calculation 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 164