interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Non-compete agreement 178 1
- Expenses claim for non employee 194 1
- Any views 736 1
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 86 1
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 203 6
- IRIS Practice Management 142 2
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 102 2
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 268 8
- Pre- trading Expenses 84 1
- Was I rude 777 19
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 183 5
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 170 3
- Corporation tax due date confusion 303 4
- You cannot be Serious!!! 254 1
- Top slicing relief question 232 2
- Valuation of PET on death 114 2
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 272 6
- Share swap 292 8
- Online filing 168 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 331 13
- Skandia using wrong address 1,479
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 814
- International interest certificate 446
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 418
- Sale of business 394
- NOVA 287
- IRIS Open Books problem 282
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 199
- Bonus Bonds 170
- Management expenses for investment company 169