interaction, income tax & VAT flat rate scheme
New client. Self employed for several years. Year end 31st March. VAT registered. VAT Return dates also end 31st March. All services standard rated at 20%. All fees received promptly. No bad debts or delayed settlement.
He pays all his expenses immediately without delay. He has minimal expenses, his income is well below the £150,000 turnover and he is in the VAT flat rate scheme.
Until now he has prepared his own SA returns but is too busy so wants us to do the job for him. He wants us to continue to use the same simple basis as he has used in the past, that is, his self employment pages are to be prepared on the "receipts and payments" basis, i.e. "money in less money out". [to quote him].
He has always filed the full SEF pages and completed them as follows - Business Income = total gross invoices issued including 20% VAT he has charged, Business Expenses = all listed gross including VAT.
Under "Other business expenses" he has claimed the 4 quarterly VAT flat rate payments he has made to HMRC in the tax year.
He view is that he has received all his fees including VAT in his hands, he has paid out all expenses including VAT and he has paid HMCE those 4 quarterly VAT payments so they are also a business "expense".
His view is that, by following this simple approach, he is paying income tax on the net result of his "money in less money out" philosophy.
Anyone see anything wrong with continuing this straightforward approach?
Thank you for any thoughts and may I wish you all a very prosperous 2013.
- Performance measurement within accounting practice 302 7
- Capital allowances on taxis 94 1
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 393 6
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 334 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 282 8
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 107 2
- Where has Portia gone? 1,817 65
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 908 21
- Can i reclaim tax if my fuel cost more than the AFR in a company car 212 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 139 1
- Sage line 50 payment before invoice date 198 11
- Best Tax / Accounts Production software 415 10
- Property Purchase in Daughters Name 345 9
- Merging my businesses 174 2
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,742 73
- Spousal transfer and PPR 520 16
- VAT on commercial property 176 3
- Rogue Accountant 3,069 49
- deceased creditor 225 5
- Corporate member of LLP 290 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 786
- RTI - duplicate employee record 546
- Pensions Regulator 446
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 407
- Sage Vat return box 2 312
- Sanzar 308
- Digital marketing focus group 292
- Portia ... Where art thou 292
- How do you do it 285
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 264