How Do I Encourage Mr X to Sign Up?
2 weeks ago a charming Graphic Designer rang me, as a result of a referral from another charming client. He said he was a one man band, self employed and thought he was paying his current accountant too much. He might also be interested in passing on the bookkeeping to me. Tax return for 2012 has been filed and y/e is April.
Based on a brief discussion, I quoted him £700 for tax. It transpires he is paying £1,100 at present. He presents data on a spreadsheet to Accountant, who has not apparently raised any concerns.
Good, I thought. I then said from the few statistics he'd given to me about his bookkeeping, I could do this for £230 plus VAT a quarter fixed fee. His stats seemed remarkably similar to an existing Graphic Designer client (whose bookkeeping I do for the same fee.) He said he would like me to see some of his schedules, and I foolishly didn't get it at the time, but I now realise this was an indication that he thought the bookkeeping charge was too high.
He said he would get back to me, but I got his phone number and email address before he went.
Since then, I've emailed him to say I was keen to see the schedules he was going to send me. I haven't heard from him since.
I liked him as a person, and have already told him it could well be in his interests to go ltd.
How should I tackle him further to get him onside?
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 938 25
- Company reconstruction 8 1
- Related party disclosure 79 2
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 755 22
- Missing tax return 226 3
- Rolled up interest and late interest rules 204 6
- Inflation and fees 1,258 22
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 67 3
- Basic Tools and PAYE succession 119 1
- Advice please! 368 2
- VAT on new builds 140 3
- incorrect old p60 192 3
- CGT query on investment property sale 107 1
- Summarise excel cashbook by month 331 6
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 1,917 28
- Redundancy Pay 441 6
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 715 6
- Sage Priority Support 120 2
- HMRC interview re client authorisation 516 4
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 364 2