How Do I Encourage Mr X to Sign Up?
2 weeks ago a charming Graphic Designer rang me, as a result of a referral from another charming client. He said he was a one man band, self employed and thought he was paying his current accountant too much. He might also be interested in passing on the bookkeeping to me. Tax return for 2012 has been filed and y/e is April.
Based on a brief discussion, I quoted him £700 for tax. It transpires he is paying £1,100 at present. He presents data on a spreadsheet to Accountant, who has not apparently raised any concerns.
Good, I thought. I then said from the few statistics he'd given to me about his bookkeeping, I could do this for £230 plus VAT a quarter fixed fee. His stats seemed remarkably similar to an existing Graphic Designer client (whose bookkeeping I do for the same fee.) He said he would like me to see some of his schedules, and I foolishly didn't get it at the time, but I now realise this was an indication that he thought the bookkeeping charge was too high.
He said he would get back to me, but I got his phone number and email address before he went.
Since then, I've emailed him to say I was keen to see the schedules he was going to send me. I haven't heard from him since.
I liked him as a person, and have already told him it could well be in his interests to go ltd.
How should I tackle him further to get him onside?
- Dividend dates 544 10
- simple one...capitalisation of legal fees on purchase of business 102 3
- Sole properietor 142 4
- transitioning payroll 218 8
- dividend proposals 75 2
- How to reclaim VAT that was missed off previous invoices? 217 2
- Deduction from Salary 279 8
- PPR exemption - can it be due on a bigger area than 0.5 hectares? 173 2
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 2,699 60
- Child Tax Credits - date of cessation of qualifying young person 75 2
- VAT on sales net of CIS suffered 429 10
- ACCA Cert/Dip in IFRS 155 2
- 12 Pay Problems 245 3
- VAT online filing exemptions 242 3
- Mutual trading organisation has chargeable gain 86 1
- Redudancy 87 1
- Redundancy pay for directors? 479 13
- VAT - Recharge 93 2
- Should Spanish VAT apply ? 353 4
- Legal title not in the company name 236 9
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 621
- Cancelled 362
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 342
- Cancelled 310
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 282
- Probiz 271
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 227
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 227
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 202
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 174