How Do I Encourage Mr X to Sign Up?
2 weeks ago a charming Graphic Designer rang me, as a result of a referral from another charming client. He said he was a one man band, self employed and thought he was paying his current accountant too much. He might also be interested in passing on the bookkeeping to me. Tax return for 2012 has been filed and y/e is April.
Based on a brief discussion, I quoted him £700 for tax. It transpires he is paying £1,100 at present. He presents data on a spreadsheet to Accountant, who has not apparently raised any concerns.
Good, I thought. I then said from the few statistics he'd given to me about his bookkeeping, I could do this for £230 plus VAT a quarter fixed fee. His stats seemed remarkably similar to an existing Graphic Designer client (whose bookkeeping I do for the same fee.) He said he would like me to see some of his schedules, and I foolishly didn't get it at the time, but I now realise this was an indication that he thought the bookkeeping charge was too high.
He said he would get back to me, but I got his phone number and email address before he went.
Since then, I've emailed him to say I was keen to see the schedules he was going to send me. I haven't heard from him since.
I liked him as a person, and have already told him it could well be in his interests to go ltd.
How should I tackle him further to get him onside?
- Payroll 72 4
- Classic cars investment 480 14
- The return 433 17
- Closing down - who should buy whom? 906 42
- Vat registration 142 5
- VAT ON MAINTENANCE PROVIDED TO ESTATE AGENT 64 3
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 164 6
- Deceased's Tax Return to date of death 195 2
- HMRC Uncleared Credit 147 2
- Audit and paypal balances 139 6
- Dividends & S455 146 2
- Trustee in Bankruptcy 248 6
- How long do legal aid take to pay? 220 2
- Transfer of shares to ultimate controlling party 130 7
- Professional Qualification 487 7
- Missing C79 120 4
- Buying fees 616 4
- Tiwan contractor 78 2
- NI Contributions in order to claim state pension 349 8
- IHT Query 373 7
- Possible Partnership? 547
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 538
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 475
- New Fangled Penalties 340
- Clubs and Taxable Income 283
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 267
- Loans to other companies 211
- Closed PAYE schemes and auto enrolment 199
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 170
- Outsource Data Entry 169