How Do I Encourage Mr X to Sign Up?
2 weeks ago a charming Graphic Designer rang me, as a result of a referral from another charming client. He said he was a one man band, self employed and thought he was paying his current accountant too much. He might also be interested in passing on the bookkeeping to me. Tax return for 2012 has been filed and y/e is April.
Based on a brief discussion, I quoted him £700 for tax. It transpires he is paying £1,100 at present. He presents data on a spreadsheet to Accountant, who has not apparently raised any concerns.
Good, I thought. I then said from the few statistics he'd given to me about his bookkeeping, I could do this for £230 plus VAT a quarter fixed fee. His stats seemed remarkably similar to an existing Graphic Designer client (whose bookkeeping I do for the same fee.) He said he would like me to see some of his schedules, and I foolishly didn't get it at the time, but I now realise this was an indication that he thought the bookkeeping charge was too high.
He said he would get back to me, but I got his phone number and email address before he went.
Since then, I've emailed him to say I was keen to see the schedules he was going to send me. I haven't heard from him since.
I liked him as a person, and have already told him it could well be in his interests to go ltd.
How should I tackle him further to get him onside?
- Payment plans for clients 292 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 93 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 202 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 481 14
- Employee steeling client data 141 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,368 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 193 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 136 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 94 1
- CT600 280 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 223 4
- signature required 920 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 207 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 345 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 337 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 174 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 92 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 159 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 106 1
- Lease 154 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 859
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 555
- Credit where credit's due....... 343
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 236
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 195
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 186
- Director's business mileage 155
- Sole trader CPD 148