How Do I Encourage Mr X to Sign Up?
2 weeks ago a charming Graphic Designer rang me, as a result of a referral from another charming client. He said he was a one man band, self employed and thought he was paying his current accountant too much. He might also be interested in passing on the bookkeeping to me. Tax return for 2012 has been filed and y/e is April.
Based on a brief discussion, I quoted him £700 for tax. It transpires he is paying £1,100 at present. He presents data on a spreadsheet to Accountant, who has not apparently raised any concerns.
Good, I thought. I then said from the few statistics he'd given to me about his bookkeeping, I could do this for £230 plus VAT a quarter fixed fee. His stats seemed remarkably similar to an existing Graphic Designer client (whose bookkeeping I do for the same fee.) He said he would like me to see some of his schedules, and I foolishly didn't get it at the time, but I now realise this was an indication that he thought the bookkeeping charge was too high.
He said he would get back to me, but I got his phone number and email address before he went.
Since then, I've emailed him to say I was keen to see the schedules he was going to send me. I haven't heard from him since.
I liked him as a person, and have already told him it could well be in his interests to go ltd.
How should I tackle him further to get him onside?
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 181 5
- The Cotter Case 176 2
- The complete uselessness of the British banking system 106 3
- HMRC Accounts Office - waiting an hour! 132 2
- Under Cash Accounting rules how do I account for a credit note issued outside the Corp Tax period? 50 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 936 16
- Sole Trader business 152 1
- Transfer of sole trade to ltd co 151 1
- How will the taxation of non-residents landlord work? 143 1
- Giving a seminar 681 36
- Tax position on lease extension 175 1
- Boffin of the Year 298 10
- deleting customers on Sage 50 218 8
- Using Director's bank account to receive payment from customer 238 4
- Sage Depreciation 78 1
- Non sequitur 250 2
- Am i Liable? 881 21
- Sale of business being paid by deferred payments by buyer 170 1
- tax relief for the cost of trade marks 155 1
- Interest on main residence mortgage then lent to a company 77 1
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,295
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 640
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 422
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 331
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 262
- Alphabet shares 219
- Agent fees to sell business 212
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 207
- Office recharges 169
- How to reclaim VAT for a non-EC UK visitor 148