How Do I Encourage Mr X to Sign Up?
2 weeks ago a charming Graphic Designer rang me, as a result of a referral from another charming client. He said he was a one man band, self employed and thought he was paying his current accountant too much. He might also be interested in passing on the bookkeeping to me. Tax return for 2012 has been filed and y/e is April.
Based on a brief discussion, I quoted him £700 for tax. It transpires he is paying £1,100 at present. He presents data on a spreadsheet to Accountant, who has not apparently raised any concerns.
Good, I thought. I then said from the few statistics he'd given to me about his bookkeeping, I could do this for £230 plus VAT a quarter fixed fee. His stats seemed remarkably similar to an existing Graphic Designer client (whose bookkeeping I do for the same fee.) He said he would like me to see some of his schedules, and I foolishly didn't get it at the time, but I now realise this was an indication that he thought the bookkeeping charge was too high.
He said he would get back to me, but I got his phone number and email address before he went.
Since then, I've emailed him to say I was keen to see the schedules he was going to send me. I haven't heard from him since.
I liked him as a person, and have already told him it could well be in his interests to go ltd.
How should I tackle him further to get him onside?
- Outside the scope VAT box 6 94 3
- Deduction for Flat Rate Scheme VAT 346 4
- Paid staff their normal salary instead of SMP 369 5
- New Client works under PAYE but is about to set up own LTD. 81 3
- Sale of Limited Co computer 61 1
- New (non resident) client not filed in 20 years 652 16
- Sole Trader or Ltd Company 407 4
- Charge for tax returns 643 12
- Real time 247 3
- Company Number 10000000 1,080 14
- Childcare voucher scheme for a director earning the minimum amount 405 14
- Reimbursing director travel costs 195 1
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,879 42
- When to top-up pensions? 271 3
- Coming off flat rate VAT 224 1
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 210 6
- Auto Enrolment - Help each other by sharing known problems 759 14
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 827 1
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 506 10
- Withdrawal of a quote 549 7
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 475
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 291
- DTA tie-breaker issue 282
- CGT for NOn UK residents 246
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 222
- Apprenticeship Levy 221
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 214
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 201
- Just checking re PSA 199
- Capital Gains personal representatives 198