How do I record VAT offset from previous years in company accounts?
I am having an issue with our accounts as a result of starting to pay VAT. In the first two years of accounts we weren't paying VAT. Expenses were shown as the full amount we had paid (including VAT).
The problem comes in year three, as six months in we become VAT registered. Why the problem? Well technicaly VAT should not be showing on our P/L. So we are showing sales and expenses without VAT. The results of this should be correct as it should mirror the amount of VAT actually paid (i.e. VAT on inputs - VAT on outputs). However, the problem is that this does not take account of all the offsetting we were able to do from previous years.
In the end the offsetting from previous years was something like £8,000. How do I reflect this in the accounts? Do I show HMRC as a debtor in the previous years? I'm not sure what the normal practice would be here.
I would be so grateful for your help. Thank you
- Xerocon 2016 1,286 36
- VAT disaggregation 65 1
- CT600 Software - anyone else having issues? 386 9
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 887 23
- Appointment of director 44 1
- Gift aid procedure please? 498 5
- Claiming annual pension allowance top up in SATR 208 2
- Leaving the VAT FRS Scheme or trying to stay as long as possible? 269 3
- Mortgage Reference 600 8
- Rounding errors on CT600 331 7
- Insovent companies 909 19
- New Build 248 1
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,314 48
- BrightPay quirks 282 2
- Website Content 231 1
- Personal Tax 664 12
- Starting band for savings - for 2014/2015 227 1
- USA Tax Query 338 2
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 452 5
- last minute request 696 6