How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Using a Business broker to sell a clients Company.....??? 183 6
- IRIS Practice Management 184 3
- Pre- trading Expenses 144 2
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 368 16
- Mortgage Interest and rental income 59 1
- Charities sorp - portfolio management fees 179 5
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 313 12
- Need qualification back due to clients' banks needing my references 396 10
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 123 1
- Easy way to not pay tax 236 6
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 355 8
- VAT on Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2009 204 2
- Builder using cash labour 159 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 231 3
- Should I pass on my HMRC login 460 11
- Was I rude 862 20
- Paint Manufacturer Flat Rate Scheme 223 8
- IRIS Open Books problem 303 1
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 230 6
- Non-compete agreement 204 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,489
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 827
- International interest certificate 448
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 423
- Sale of business 398
- NOVA 302
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 213
- Bonus Bonds 181
- Management expenses for investment company 178
- Can Limited Company Buy Share of Rental Property? 173