How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- CIS monthly declaration 15 1
- Self assesment losses 121 3
- Where to advertise for staff 141 4
- Self assessment tax arrears 437 4
- Ltd company or sole trader 504 12
- overdrawn directors loan 122 4
- Advertising with Hibu nee Yell (Yellow Pages) 43 1
- P35 and Service Company questions 283 7
- Should the Report of the Director be included in the interim financial statements of a small company 148 2
- Fee protection 652 12
- Rights of Alphabet shares 251 8
- Excel formula 496 10
- Increasing the personal allowance: A top priority? 822 34
- Factors affecting tax charge FRS 19 (marginal rate) 111 2
- Disposal of an opted property 69 1
- Forfeited despoit for property - allowable loss? 102 2
- New charity 103 1
- Repairs or Improvement? 201 4
- Double tax treaty Italy and UK 156 3
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 365 1
- Xtuple 558
- Qtac payroll for bureau 378
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 329
- Industrial & Provident Societies 318
- CIS schemes 238
- Domain name sale and limited company 213
- Italian friend wants to set up a UK company to reduce taxes 197
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 195
- Investment 194
- Tax on damages received 156