How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- What taxes must employers pay in Continental Europe? e.g. Germany and France 95 1
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 331 10
- Travel costs and contractors 266 3
- vat help for catering concession 140 3
- Employee works in UK paid by Denmark and uses company car from another business 44 1
- RTI and Directors' salaries 146 2
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 206 3
- Importers 110 1
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 276 4
- Tax free threshold on person receiving gifts 251 4
- dfgd fget 122 1
- More AE! 233 6
- New business - journal entries 610 27
- US Citizen but never resident in US 215 4
- LLP Tax Allocation Prior Year Amendment 71 1
- aia 123 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 447 10
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 458 16
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 258 5
- Form 17 Joint tenancy v tenants in common 267 7
- Auto enrolment excuses 990
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 745
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 432
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 250
- Digita Hosted Software 249
- Social investment tax relief 243
- Call Centre Data Costs 230
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 183
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 148
- Petrol station franchise and VAT 138