How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Help Required 336 10
- Dress code 171 7
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 244 10
- directors control and tax problems 170 5
- Fastest Software 763 13
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 929 28
- What's in a name ? 299 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 232 4
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 423 15
- Bulk Invoicing 167 6
- What would you do in this situation? 542 12
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 148 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 243 2
- ATED Penalties 272 1
- late second payment on account 172 2
- US royalties 96 2
- Project being run jointly 137 2
- Reclaiming overpaid employer NI contributions 183 2
- Sole trader mix up 305 4
- Vat on 'pig slurry' - palatable subject I know! 756 6
- CTA study material 703
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 426
- Employment related securities question 268
- AIM Stocks and IHT 246
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 200
- Trust for Employee 187
- Expat pension contributions? 186
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 174
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 158
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 141