How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- RTI Annual Scheme Query 67 1
- FPS Submission 51 2
- VT accounts licence key 154 4
- PTP software disaster 134 1
- Wrong career 319 13
- Value pricing 619 20
- non resident receiving UK dividends 188 3
- P11d & Medical Ins 86 1
- vat return 198 1
- Underpaid National Insurance 144 3
- MONEYSOFT - EARLIER YEAR UPDATE 159 4
- Treatment of EU Purchases on Sage 53 1
- Small employers paying people when sick thanks alot! 2,940 31
- Keep receiving RTI late submission notice 142 3
- Director's tax return 113 2
- reporting salary? 236 5
- Other forums 188 3
- Payroll software : RTI submissions 361 17
- CIS repayment shambles finally over? 155 1
- Career Advice 158 3
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 780
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 532
- Does anyone have an unwanted ICAEW wooden plaque? 399
- Goods shipped inter EU and VAT Reporting 285
- Free Tax Legislation? 232
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 228
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 221
- Director Loan account operation 221
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 213
- Paye procedures for CVA 153