How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Capital Gain? 505 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 189 5
- Sell business after leaving country 106 2
- How much to charge? 220 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 153 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 632 15
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 97 1
- Income tax on foreign dividends 235 2
- break even point 589 18
- Simple consolidation question 97 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 387 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 996 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 404 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 205 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 274 5
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 112 1
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 162 4
- IHT Query 233 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 445 2
- BrightPay 695 22
- Possible Partnership? 464
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 441
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 428
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 232
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 226
- Clubs and Taxable Income 216
- New Fangled Penalties 216
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 211
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 184
- Loans to other companies 167