How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Just for fun. 698 22
- VAT on purchase of plant from Germany 99 3
- Can we learn from the financial services industry? 74 1
- How to pay national insurance 502 16
- Spam blocking 124 4
- Director needs to withdraw 45k lump sum from company 207 4
- Landlord possible penalties for late registration for self assessment 205 9
- AccountingWeb is unworkable 122 1
- Small pool write off 209 4
- Bonus in june 234 2
- Where do I declare dividends in HMRC's Computations software ? 175 5
- reduce rate VAT on conversion from 2 to 1 dwelling 105 2
- HMRC Email 319 5
- CIS. Why is it so complicated? 1,921 21
- Employment status 213 3
- BIM47080 and director training before trade starts 175 5
- Accounting Software for Small Practice 989 23
- Hannah's blog post about fish 366 4
- Overlap relief 642 16
- Timescale for S455/S458 reclaims 167 3
- Theatre Tax Relief 481
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 376
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 369
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 343
- Perkbox 309
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 302
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 269
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 267
- Document Management Systems 249
- WIP Software 229