How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,136 16
- CIS 158 4
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,360 26
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 634 15
- VAT 701/49 query 209 2
- backpack 274 3
- Sage Line 50 Data conversion 135 3
- Bookkeeping question for Finance Lease payments 214 3
- Viewing folder contens en masse 336 8
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 181 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 335 5
- Tax relief on Enterprise Investment Scheme subscriptions 145 2
- Calculation of 10 year anniversary charge 184 1
- pension contribution annual allowance charge 106 1
- Dominant influence and intercompany loans 250 6
- Really?! 758 9
- Company Car for Owner Director number crunching - is there a ready reckoner? 455 6
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 900 12
- Is the CT61 return dead? 307 4
- Car Purchase 160 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 704
- 2015 tax year end 437
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 415
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 355
- Costly Accounting Software contract 310
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 254
- Directors' advances and credits 251
- DTA tie-breaker issue 238
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 221
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 202