How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 24 2
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 858 27
- Cocaine anyone? 292 5
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 68 3
- How much of your work is admin? 1,154 10
- Is Co House "losing" Abbreviated Accounts? 1,485 22
- Holding Company - Ltd or PLC? 292 4
- ACCA - still making me laugh 485 3
- can anyone recommend Turkish speaking accountants in London 263 1
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 344 11
- Tax return software for remote working 491 4
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 580 9
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 467 9
- WHY AREN'T DWP RULES THE SAME BOTH WAYS ROUND 457 9
- How to purchase business premises? 189 2
- Will I need to resign? 855 10
- Childcare vouchers 204 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 283 5
- Management Company Setup Structure as Limited Company 303 6
- VAT avoidance? 251 4
- Hive up 477
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 440
- corporate hierarchy 419
- Advice - 252
- Amortisation of Goodwill 225
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 213
- WWOOFers 207
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 196
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 188
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 183