How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 324 10
- HMRC Post 497 6
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 270 9
- Non VAT invoices 181 4
- Time to ditch Sage? 200 2
- Travel is part allowable if combined with personal holiday 176 2
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,380 32
- Fees 218 1
- Correcting earlier year CT600s 248 5
- ACCA Special Business Resolutions... 213 2
- Form 17 Download 140 1
- Claiming VAT on car lease 547 28
- Small hotel - food for personal use 378 4
- HMRC Information notice 989 24
- Recommendations for online payroll software 274 3
- Accountant Specialization. 386 5
- Accounting Web - What is happening? 1,765 42
- Sage Line 50 176 3
- Off topic slightly - any football fans out there? 198 1
- Can my company contibute more than 40000 to my pension in a tax year? 467 6
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 759
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 414
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 364
- Electric Car 299
- S222 Charge 245
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 207
- IP trans to holding company 195
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 184
- AIA 180
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 178