How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- How much to charge for payroll? 713 16
- When do we qualify for state pension? 129 2
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 110 4
- BTC vs Digita 968 29
- Seeking a tax case 236 8
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 266 4
- See you all on the other side 214 5
- VATABLE Income 267 3
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 195 2
- Different Filing Dates - Help! 258 7
- What are we calling cloud now? 396 6
- P11D software 88 1
- Write off of loans FROM participators 444 9
- VAT - business splitting 231 3
- Income tax or Capital gains tax? 585 16
- RTI - how to correct HMRC's error 408 7
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 951 16
- Jersey - VAT 122 2
- how to file Late annual Accounts for dormant company ? 297 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme for a Welder 225 2
- HMRC Joint Filing 520
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 391
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 350
- IRIS and FRS 102 323
- USA help 279
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 243
- Capital gains on rental property 225
- Sage Coretime 212
- Capitalising Finance Lease 209
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 199