How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- AIA 104 4
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 1,027 47
- Splitting income from property rental or not? 231 6
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 239 9
- client can't/won't pay 346 12
- Non-SA client with large capital gain 272 9
- RTI Annual Scheme 1,173 18
- Help - Capital Allowance 104 5
- 5% penalty on late payment 217 3
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 173 5
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 527 26
- HMRC SA software error? 131 2
- Plant & Machinery for commercial property 166 2
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 260 14
- Drive off and Wastage expenses - No supp doc 182 6
- Treatment of income for sole trader 146 2
- wave software 122 1
- Freelance software consultant 331 5
- Window Comb Binder Cover 123 2
- losses carried forward 378 10
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 782
- Copy Wanted 498
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 454
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 452
- Latest phishing scam 284
- Entrepreneurs' relief 270
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 266
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 248
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 235
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 231