How do you account for bookmakers
I have a potential new client who is a bookmaker.
Never been involved in this sector before and I need to know how you account for outstanding bets.
Lets say the year end is 31 Mar-13. Lets take two bets that I have tried to make the extremes.
Punter A has staked £500 on his son playing for England at 300:1 before 2020. Do you take £500 to the profit and loss account and ignore the potential liability or account for the bet as a "long term contract". The son will never play for England he only has one leg.
Punter B has bet £1,000 on Manchester United to win the league. The league ends on 19 May-13 but Manchester United are so far ahead, at 31 Mar-13, they really have to be bad to lose the title. Do you recognise the loss in the accounts or do you have to wait until they do win. It is not a known and certain situation at the year end but probable.
No silly football answers, no witty answers about value price(s) etc. Non Bob please.
- Do I need to pay my accountant 795 11
- Joining the flat rate scheme retrospectively 1,088 12
- LLP members transfer to limited companies. 96 1
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 636 20
- Audit 73 1
- carry back of gift aid 166 3
- Employee to move to Isle of Man 290 8
- Uncomfortable with some advertising Sift takes 460 13
- Awkward IP 1,142 12
- What's in a name ? 932 8
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 837 10
- Negligible value - JJB Sports 168 1
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 551 11
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 226 3
- Should everyone be entitled to a personal allowance 377 6
- Potentially dodgy client 390 3
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 558 28
- Entrepeneurs relief 455 18
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 399 9
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 540 23
- CTA study material 782
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 484
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 424
- Employment related securities question 313
- AIM Stocks and IHT 290
- Expat pension contributions? 267
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 264
- Trust for Employee 247
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 200
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 151